Scouts

Sviar

I have a box with Scouts that I have not yet assembled. Our Scouts have better stats then C:SM, but they are elite. So I am asking my fellow Angels if you have found any use of them?

EDIT: Spelling error

While I don't play Dark Angels, I do play Space Wolves. Our Scouts, too, are Elites with better than C:SM stats. As such, I hope I can offer a perspective that is helpful to you.

The loss of the ability to assault on the turn our scouts have Infiltrated has change the role of scouts. Your C:DA Scouts, unlike ours, have Combat Squads. That allows you one new use for your scouts that I wished I had. You can take a single squad of ten and break them down in to two combat squads of one with Sniper rifles (BS4 makes them worhwhile against some opponents) and another with Bolters and a Heavy Bolter to act as a harrassment force and possibly contest an objective.

While it is still possible to use scouts in their traditional role in 6th, it is harder. You have to get lucky enough to infiltrate them in a position where you can get the second turn charge after infiltrating behind a LOS blocker or find a good piece of terrain to take cover in and hope that your opponent doesn't prioritize his firepower towards them.

I hope this helps you.

IMHO, for their points cost they're not terribly useful, but with 6th ed. rules you can make them work for it. Like it was suggested you can get a 10 men squad and give them sniper rifles for harassment, but instead of the heavy bolter I would give them a missile launcher so they can pose a treat to vehicles as well. Just infiltrate them into a good cover and let them do their think.. don't expect them to be a game winning combo though...

I have two lots of scouts. One with 9 snipers and a missile launcher and one with a mix of bolters, CCWs and pistols and a Heavy Bolter. Their Infiltrate ability can come in handy, especially in the roles I run them as. My Scouts usually:

- perform assassinations

- weaken/harass high value organic targets (infantry, heavy infantry and MCs)

- anti-vehicle with the use of meltabombs

- general counter-ops (basically they work like Storm Troopers but with bolters and not hellguns)

The new sniper rules have given them a new lease of life. As said dont expect them to win games for you but they can be a nuisance, plus there are more juicy targets for an enemy to concentrate. The best use i can think of them right now in conjuction with the new terrain pieces. They will shine in a fortress of redemption or a strongpoint.

I only tend to use my scout snipers for a bit of fun so I'm not all that fussed about performance. As they are denial units, if you can infiltrate/outflank them onto an objective then your opponent will at least have to think about dealing with them even if they might not do much damage on their own account. With speeders no longer being able to contest distant objective, this is potentially a useful role for scouts in 6th.

I've never regretted fielding my scouts. 1 10 man squad combat squadded, 4 snipers w/heavy bolter, 3 bp/cc & 2 shotguns (just happens to be the models I own lol), they tend to be serverly underestimated by the enemy and low target priority until they kill something way above their weight lol.

I think that scouts are useful as snipers...

i use a 5 man squad 4 with sniper rifle and 1 with ML... they are very good at harrassing enemy units...

With the new rules of 6th edition about sniper rifles they will become even more annoying for the enemies...

I guess i will buy another box of sniper scouts and build a full ten men squad to split in two 5 man squads...

I dont think that CCW or bolter/shotgun scouts are as good as the sniper ones so i never field them...

I say build them up anyway, paint them DA and even if you never field them with the DA dex as elites you always have them for when you might use marine allies (like C:SM or BA). They are a cheap mandatory allied troop to get at other goodies.

I personally would have expected a more vet profile for 16pts a guy in our scouts

the scouts cost 13 points per model, the first 5 are more expensive because the cost includes the vet sarge

Hi.

IMO scouts can be a threat, like everything else, but are very costy. The sniper rifle option is costy that's what I am talking about, and frankly this is the sole reason I would personally ever field scouts.

But I am going to use scouts with sniper rifles anyway personally, but these guys will be fielded along with the Ultramarine rules for my Dark Angels (they are that cheaper and are troops), and I am going to model them with power armor... (tactical marines with added sniper rifles)

As for how they should be treated in the new forthcoming Dark Angel codex, it is said that they will remain Elite with BS 4, not my taste. I will repeat myself, Dark Angels are secretive, they should get real elite snipers = power armoured, and scoring.

Cheers.

Edit = as of my opinion, Scouts are too expensive and are not scoring. I won't bother with them if used with the Dark Angel codex.

I want to thank all of you for the helpful advices. I am gluing together my DA Scouts and equiping them with sniperriffles and a ML. I may add a second squad with HB and a ML later, beacuse it seemed like it would be fun to try this in a game :D

I want to thank all of you for the helpful advices. I am gluing together my DA Scouts and equiping them with sniperriffles and a ML. I may add a second squad with HB and a ML later, beacuse it seemed like it would be fun to try this in a game :eek

If only the HB could take the HF round...Gaahhhhh.

Archived