Tech Marine an IC in 6th?

TheHarrower

Is the Tech Marine an IC now? In the Appendix in the rulebook Tech Marine is listed under Space Marines as an Independent Character. Does that mean we can use him as such now? Only the unique units like the Special Characters and Sanguinary Guard are listed under Codex: Blood Angels. I looked at the stats in Codex: Space Marines, and it looks like the Tech Marine is pretty much the same. Thoughts?

This is a great catch. I went rummaging thru codices and only C:SM & BT claimed techmarines as ICs prior to 6E, though only BT made the distinction that if the techmarine took a retinue of servitors, they could not leave and/or join another squad.

Also, prior to 6E, SW ironpriests are not listed as ICs in the codex, but now are in the BRB.

I don't know what this could potentially lead to, but it's interesting to consider.

I like the possibility of bolstering defenses and putting Scouts with Sniper Rifles in terrain along with camo cloaks to get a 2+ cover save. I also like the idea of having the Tech Marine join the Scouts to bolster them in close combat or putting him behind a Quad-gun in an Aegis Defense Line. Lots of possibilities...

I don't think so. Are you referring to the "In" in the listing page 411? It stands for Infantry, not IC.

Doh! My bad. Back to the drawing board...

As ever, Codex trumps rulebook.

It wouldn't in this case. The Codex came before the rulebook. That's like saying the rules they added to the rulebook like making Paladins and Nobs characters, making the Stormraven a flyer, etc. don't count because it's not in the Codex.

As ever, Codex trumps rulebook.

It wouldn't in this case. The Codex came before the rulebook. That's like saying the rules they added to the rulebook like making Paladins and Nobs characters, making the Stormraven a flyer, etc. don't count because it's not in the Codex.

Nope, Xeneth is right. Codex > BRB (always!). But FAQ > codex and all codex FAQ say that for unit type check the BRB, so that's why it is legal to say Stormraven is a flyer for example.

But FAQ > codex and all codex FAQ say that for unit type check the BRB, so that's why it is legal to say Stormraven is a flyer for example.

By Jove, you're right. FAQ says to use unit types from the BRB, so if a BA techmarine is an IC there, then he is an IC in the BA book.

But FAQ > codex and all codex FAQ say that for unit type check the BRB, so that's why it is legal to say Stormraven is a flyer for example.

By Jove, you're right. FAQ says to use unit types from the BRB, so if a BA techmarine is an IC there, then he is an IC in the BA book.

Yep and unfortunately is says to specifically reference the BGB for only Unit Types and Hull Points. If only it also said for weapon profiles, then we would all have Flakk missles with our launchers...now that would be nice.

Archived