The Relic

J!MM!L!C!OUS

Don't all of the teleport powers involve a description of movement range maximums? I know Gate of Infinity says to pick a poitn within 24" of the starting point.

I feel it would be tuogh to argue that a unit that has been removed from one point on the board and then placed in another as not having moved.

None of the Necron teleports involve moving set distances or range limits.

The Veil of Darkness and the Ghostwalk Mantle both work thus;

At the start of the Movement Phase, remove the model and his unit from the board.

The unit may then be placed anywhere else on the board, using the rules for Deep Strike.

Thus, via the rules for Necron teleporting, the unit counts as Moving, but does not count as moving any distance.

Geh, I suppose it would do me some good to look the rules over more thoroughly. I think I can still do basically what I've been doing with a few modifications. Not as speedy, but only slightly.

Nope, its can only be passed once per turn and only on to a model in base contact. So unless you have some troops with massive bases, your method will have the relic moving about 6" :P

In conjunction with that, you'll still get assaulted, and that will mean that the model in that unit holding the relic will lose ground when he makes his 3" pile in move towards the enemy at initiative.

Still falls under my original problem I'm afraid, that you can get to the relic, but it's then very difficult to move it anywhere.

The closest solution I've seen so far is as someone sugested, using a single drop pod, has to deploy on your first turn so you can just disembark into base contact. then turn two you can start moving it. Ofcourse this is still buggered if your opponent has any fast attack units... :(

Let's do some grade school arithmetic, shall we?

Draigo & Friends scouts forward 6". Draigo & Friends moves forward 6" and claims relic, with Draigo bearing the relic. He then passes it to the apothecary, who will be right behind him. There's about 3 inches right there if the apothecary somehow drops it. Chances are Draigo & Friends is not going down T1 (Supporting forces will fight to ensure that). T2, unit moves 6" back, Apothecary passes off to another paladin, then Paladin drops it 1" away from himself. That's 6" + 1" + 1", so 8" total displacement from original position. At this point, that's 11" total displacement, at which point the strike squad can take stewardship and continue running around, putting the PalaShield between them and serious threats.

This gets more interesting with a Dreadknight I have given scoring status. Position the base lengthwise (~4"), jump forward T1, grab relic, then drop it behind him immediately. That's 5" straight from start, right into the hands of Draigo & Friends or one of my numerous strike squads (Depending on which list I'm playing). Mr. Dreadcarriage will probably die a horrible death, but at least I have the relic. Shiny.

I know nothing about GK, but only troops models can pick up or hold the relic, does that include Draigo and the other guys you mentioned?

Yes, draigo makes paladins troops, thus they gain scoring status. Scoring status is all that matters, so Grand Strategy allows non troop models to interact with the relic.

I successfully pulled this maneuver off yesterday to move the relic 30" into my deployment zone. It was rather hilarious.

The model carrying the relic cannot run and can never move more then 6" in any phase.

Personally, I think that teleporting 20 inches would count as moving 20 inches, but I guess this is another case of the rules not being written as well as they could be, as it also states a model in a scoring unit, as opposed to a scoring model in a scoring unit.

One of my games with my draigowing, Draigo got the scoring warlord trait. He then picked up the relic in the second turn, and held onto it for the rest of the game. Poor tyranid opponent :devil:

Well Blood Angels have a way of getting the relic pretty quickly. What I like to do and I am known for this now. Is play the relic like the football in Blood Bowl. Turn 1 I use an Assault squad to go up and get the relic. Then in the shooting phase I run the rest of the squad past the relic bearer. If they manage to not kill him I will move 6" back and do a handoff to Brother Corbulo who is leading a squad of tactical marines. So now I have the optimal guy holding the relic. A 3+ save 2+ FnP 2+ Look Out sir. With that I just simple run away to my board edge and hold that relic for dear life.

One question that I have about this is Necron Night Scythe. If you load a relic into it what happens? It is a Zooming Flyer so it will go 18" and then crash but when it crashes everybody inside goes back into reserve. So what happens to the relic is it in reserve too?

• 2 months later...
lol

the answer everyone's looking for is to only play opponents that share one's preference for semantics.

This. Some of the loophole type strategies mentioned here such as teleporting or shunting with the relic feel pretty beardy but I guess if thats what your groups cool with then by all means eh.

Back to taking and holding the relic, I feel drop pods in conjunction with transports are the best method. I just finished a game against BAs where mephiston took and held the relic costing me a game I was otherwise winning, which brings me to a very good strategy. In 6th vehicles only reliably explode from melta now, against most other weapons they just become los blocking and movement restricting wreckage. If you can wall off the relic with transports/pods it will be very hard to get to the unit possessing the relic. This tactic also draws fire away from otherwise priority units. This is my main strategy and it was also how the BAs beat me. Sometimes you can anticipate a strategy but cant effectively counter it regardless.

Also I'm not sure you can put the relic in vehicles

You can, but said vehicle can't move over 6"/turn, so it cant go in a zooming flyer (presuming there was some way to embark in a zooming flyer...)

Also I'm not sure you can put the relic in vehicles

You can, but said vehicle can't move over 6"/turn

Without the SRB with me, I've nothing than that quote : "The model carrying the relic cannot run and can never move more then 6" in any phase."

I can see an added benefit to pur relic in transports, in your moving phase you move 6 in your mouvement turn, in your shooting phase you move 6 (flat out), in his shooting phase you disembark 6" away when the transport is wrecked.

Its 6"/turn, not 6"/phase.

Actually, it IS 6"/phase. Check your rulebook.

@Panda - vehicles with the Relic can't move flat out.

I think the only way to get a troops unit to move it during the movement phase is bikes, as there is no restriction against turbo-boosting.

True dat - "The model carrying the relic cannot Run and can never move more than 5" in any phase" Pg 131 BYB

So basically if you're infantry, it's only going 6" per turn because you can't run in your shooting phase with it.

If you put it in a transport, you can move 6" in movement, and then 6" in shooting phase

True dat - "The model carrying the relic cannot Run and can never move more than 5" in any phase" Pg 131 BYB

So basically if you're infantry, it's only going 6" per turn because you can't run in your shooting phase with it.

If you put it in a transport, you can move 6" in movement, and then 6" in shooting phase

Not quite, because a vehicle moving in the shooting phase is moving flat out...which the Relic specifically prohibits.

Not quite, because a vehicle moving in the shooting phase is moving flat out...which the Relic specifically prohibits.

In which case the wording about 6" per phase rather than per turn is completely redundant, as you can't run or move flat out with the relic! Stupid GW!

In which case the wording about 6" per phase rather than per turn is completely redundant, as you can't run or move flat out with the relic! Stupid GW!

Except for the point I made earlier, which is that bikes (counting as troops) can turbo-boost in the shooting phase, moving an extra 6". I think they're the only unit that can do it. I don't think it was RAI, but it's RAW.

I had a good experience with this by infiltrating 5 scouts right next to the relic for a turn 1 grab, then used a razorback and cover to get it away. By the end of the game I had 2 scouts left but the relic was back in my back corner and I got to take apart my opponant in pieces as he was forced to come at me to try and take it.

Scouts for the win!

Archived