Vehicle Top Armour

gogsmash

Something I've been wondering about. Is vehicle top armour counted as front, back, or side?

I was always under the impression that there is no such thing and that armour is determined by the facing that the firer is located in, regardless of elevation.

Hits from Vector Strikes (Flying Monstrous creatures "Landing" on the vehicle) and hits from barrage weapons always hit side armor, so I believe side is also "top" armor.

I think they did this to reflect that the top is obviously more heavily armored than the rear (also "bottom") armor, as they do expect some things to hit it, but not as heavily armored as the front.

Despite being "above" the vehicle, flyers (and bombing runs) always hit on the armor the flyer is facing.

In the old Cityfight rules expansion, hitting the top of the vehicle was represented by using the side armor value. Siege vehicles (vindicators and demolishers) had the option to increase this by 1 for a cost, to represent reinforcing the armor.

This was transferred into the system for 4th edition and onward, where barrage weapons would always hit vehicles on their side armor value.

In the old Cityfight rules expansion, hitting the top of the vehicle was represented by using the side armor value. Siege vehicles (vindicators and demolishers) had the option to increase this by 1 for a cost, to represent reinforcing the armor.

This was transferred into the system for 4th edition and onward, where barrage weapons would always hit vehicles on their side armor value.

Yea..... Not a whole lot of room for interpretation when the rules outright tell you it hits side armor.

FTR, I could've sworn the CityFight rules had Top Armor as Rear Armor. Or was that the underside's armor (was that even a thing???)?

*checks*

Nope. I'm right. Top Armor (in CityFight) IS the same as Rear Armor, with the exception of the Vindicator and Demolisher Siege Tanks, which automatically use their Side Armor Value instead.

And then that same "Siege Armor" ability to use the Side Armor as the Top Armor was a Vehicle Upgrade purchasable for all other types of tanks for Space Marine, Chaos Marine and Imperial Guard armies.

Archived