Master of the ETL 2012: Dominus Lux et Fidei

The Shadow Guard

I think he's probably passed out from exhaustion atm. I kid.

Well done buddy!

ShadowGuard probably made one of his two hearts explode, but I'm sure the Apothecarion is taking good care of him.

I unfortunately found B&C right after the entry deadline, but I've watched it all summer, and it was fantastically run. Mad props to Captain Semper!

I'd also like to chime in with some thanks. Whilst I wasn't an active member of the forum when the contest was started, I've very much enjoyed looking at peoples painted armies, so thanks very much for that opportunity provided by the contest.

Are painting challenges an annual event? If so, when might the next be slated to start?

Thank you Captain Semper. This challenge got me to stop lurking on B&C, post in topics, and actively participate in an event. Now I'll have my first honor marking for a signature. AND I am eager to see what we do next. :cuss

There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said by someone else in this thread. But I'm going to say it anyways, because it's worth repeating.

Semper, from where I'm standing, what you did looks impossible. I spent hours and hours building and painting my models, and more time watching the rest of the competition. If not for the ETL, I would have far fewer models on the table, and my painting would probably be worse. My summer would definitely have been far less interesting than it was.

Yet my contribution, in time and effort, is paltry compared to yours. I simply painted models while you must have dedicated most of your time for months to this endeavor. It's been a hell of a ride, yet you always had an encouraging word for everybody and anybody who needed it, and solved problems when they arose smoothly and without loosing your temper.

It's more than I could have done. It's more than just about anyone could have done. I know you had help along the way, but you were the driving force behind the ETL, and the credit for all that hard work has fallen right where it belongs--on you.

In short, thank you, Captain Semper.

--BoR

Massive thanks to Captain S for running the ETL and for all the encouragement and status updates, the Master of Recruits has excelled once more! Thanks to our brethren from all the other boards too, if not for their high completion rates I would have been happy to just stop at the one vow but seeing the Dark Angels pushed down the tables each week was a great spur to paint even more models.

Now off to look at all those ETL completion threads and drool over all the DA reinforcements we have recieved :)

I'd like to thank Captain Semper, both for myself and on behalf of the Liber Astartes Sub Forum. It's been a lot of fun, despite real life stuff getting in the way of things <_<

As a little something.....

This is Liber Astartes "Special":

Scribe fourth Class Fama was nervous. He had never been within the hallowed halls of the Liber Astartes before and was anxious, eager to please the legendary Warriors beyond the thick, aged doors. Those doors were unusual, for not only had the Legio symbol been carved upon it's surface, but countless others, all small but incredibly detailed. Many were worn, the Millennia taking its toll, others were new and distinct. Fama recoiled in horror as he realised that some were that of the Dread powers.

Making the sign of the Aquila, he shuffled inside.

Beyond the doors, was a vast room. So vast in fact that he could not see the opposite wall. Looking around he could see so many Marines, wearing their colours proudly. There were the Sisters of Battle and the various Ordos, a couple of whom were making polite small talk with Traitor Marines. How is this possible? he thought. The sight staggered him, his mind reeling, unable to comprehend what his eyes were blasphemously showing him.

"I see that you are early Scribe." Fama turned startled, so sure was he that no one was behind him. The Marine who addressed him was wearing a dark Grey plate, his bolt gun painted blue. The scribe racked his brains for a moment, desperately trying to remember which Space Marine Chapter used a pair of Black Wings as their heraldry.

Ah, yes

"It's Aquilanus, isn't it?"

"It is scribe, although one such as yourself should be mindful on how....familiar they should be with our kind."

"Apologies, my Lord. I am merely nervous. I have never seen such a sight! Do you know that there are Traitors within our midst?!"

"I do. Know you this, scribe. Whilst they are Traitors, and deserving of nothing less than divine retribution, today we are gathered for an ocassion. One that all should be allowed to celebrate."

"I don't understand."

"I would be very suspicious if you did, scribe. We are all gathered to celebrate the efforts of one individual. One has been unrelenting, unbiased and undaunted by the task set to them."

"Who is this person?" Fama's curiosity was desperate to be sated.

"All in good time, scribe. You will bear witness to this celebration, and record all that transpires...." He was interrupted by the roar of engines as some of the more boisterous members of the Space Wolves and White Scars had "appropriated" bikes from the Legio motor pool.

"....Maybe not all that transpires," Aquilanus continued. "Until the proper time, you are free to mingle. Be warned, however. Do not get into trouble."

Fama bowed, and warily picked his way through the crowd. It was unimaginable, how many were assembled in this ancient hall. On the walls, there were such frescos, feats and accomplishments immortalised in alabaster and Brass. The banners of long dead or forgotten Chapters lined the walls, each rich in colours and detail, some sadly now patchy and dull through neglect.

This was the hall of the Liber Astartes, a haven for successor Chapters and rumoured to house some of the Dark ones too, although that has never been substantiated.

So lost in his thoughts that he didn't look where he was going, colliding into a Marine wearing Dark Green Armour.

"My profuse apologies, my Lord!" Fama stammered shocked.

The Marine looked down at his small frame, completely aware that the notable could see the ever growing bald spot on his crown he had taken great pains to hide.

"All is...forgiven," replied the Marine, amused by what he had said. Fama did not understand, but did not dare ask.

"So. What brings you here, scribe?"

"I was summoned to document this event, Lord, although I have not been given any details of what I am to record," Fama said sadly.

The Marine looked at him carefully. The scribe was a fussy little man, wearing a robe fitting for those of his calling. He was unsuccessfully trying to hisde a bald spot, which amused his slightly. Humans and their foibles....

"I'm not sure myself. Whilst I have been more accustomed to the members of the Liber Astartes of late I am rather unsure of what transpires."

Before the scribe could ask anything further, the hubbub died down, all attention cast at the raised platform at the far edge of the hall.

Before them all members of various Forums had assembled. There was Brother Seahawk of the Ultramarines, The Shadow Guard of the Dark Angels, Morticon of the Blood Angels and Race Bannon of the Index Astartes.

All looked solemn, their attention fixed on all around them.

"Brothers," began Aquilanus*, "We are gathered here today to give thanks. We give thanks to each and everyone of those who participated in the recent E Tenebrae Lux contest. We celebrate the winners, but we also celebrate the threads of brother and Sisterhood across the entire Forum. We each have our differences, our strengths and we acknowledge them all."

The assembled throng voiced their assent, the aforementioned bikers revving their engines appreciatively.

"However, there is one individual, who should be lauded. One who has tirelessly organised this event. One who's unceasing dedication, unwavering in the task of ensuring it went ahead smoothly. One who, is dauntless, unbiased, fair and just.

"One whom I am proud to call....Brother."

Fama was desperately trying to work out who this exemplary individual was. Looking around he noticed that all were fixing their attention his way. Then he realised it was not him they were looking at.

The Marine standing next to him was justly proud, his features showing no arrogance, only a humble, good natured smile.

As the chant grow stronger and louder, shaking the very walls themselves, Fama joined in calling this Marines name, awed by his presence.

"Captain Semper! Captain Semper!"

And so say all of us

;)

*I merely put my name there as I didn't want to write about someone else and potentially write them wrong - I'm not implying that I'm a "leader" of the Liber Astartes in any way shape or form! :lol:

There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said by someone else in this thread. But I'm going to say it anyways, because it's worth repeating.

Semper, from where I'm standing, what you did looks impossible. I spent hours and hours building and painting my models, and more time watching the rest of the competition. If not for the ETL, I would have far fewer models on the table, and my painting would probably be worse. My summer would definitely have been far less interesting than it was.

Yet my contribution, in time and effort, is paltry compared to yours. I simply painted models while you must have dedicated most of your time for months to this endeavor. It's been a hell of a ride, yet you always had an encouraging word for everybody and anybody who needed it, and solved problems when they arose smoothly and without loosing your temper.

It's more than I could have done. It's more than just about anyone could have done. I know you had help along the way, but you were the driving force behind the ETL, and the credit for all that hard work has fallen right where it belongs--on you.

In short, thank you, Captain Semper.

--BoR

+1

it has been a real honour to participate in this challenge! thank you so much for everything :whistling:

Guys I really don't know what to say... ;)

I'm very happy that people enjoyed the event. This was a bit of a gamble but it paid off. It just shows what a fantastic community we have here at B&C. The best feature of the event in my opinion was the amicable fashion that people behaved! No ugly disputes, no arguments, no name calling! :D Just moving along and delivering splendid results. Incidently I'll take you up on your offers for a drink so be careful what you promise. Aquilanus, really mate? A story! :D I love it! hahahaha!

Your postive comments boost my morale no end and make the wheels in my head turn fast - but that's hardly the time... ;)

I will be launching the ETL FINAL REPORT tomorrow - I know it was scheduled for today but there were a few technicalities to overcome (namely to fly home from holidays) so things got postponed a bit. But do not worry, the report will be up some time tomorrow and the we can discuss the past, the present and the future...

I think we should reward Captain Semper for all his hard work and tireless toli by getting him to do this all over again next year!!! Always acknowledge a person's capacity for greatness and make sure you keep them busy so that they may achieve it..... besides .. he'll be too busy for all those drinks everyone has promised.... DOuble incentive!! ;) :D

SG

Why wait til next year. Lets do it again after box set release. Kidding, sorta**. New bikers, termies and the chaplain, well, can't wait. So now I have to decide to hold off painting for next comp or just jump in as soon as I have new ones. tap, tap tap, hmmm?

So now I have to decide to hold off painting for next comp or just jump in as soon as I have new ones. tap, tap tap, hmmm?

Why not do both? It's not like the boxes are limited to one per customer. :)

Archived