Need help against IG

Invictus181

Hi guys long time follower first time poster, long story short I have only begun playing the tabletop recently and my primary opponents mainly field IG or dark eldar armies I normally play BT rules but occasionally codex if I want to try something new. I havn't had any dramas faceing and beating the dark eldar but under the new rules these IG are giving me bulk dramas I have tried several different lists against them and have made a new one to try next time here it is any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

1500 point army

HQ

EC- Abhor the witch 110

MOS- term armour, holy orb 150

Term Command- 4 terms, cyclone,1xc.fist 190

TROOPS

CS- 10x init 1xPG 1xML 196

CS- 10x init 1xflamer 1xML 192

ELITE

V.Dread- AC and CCW, tank hunter 135

Dread- LC and ML 135

Sword.B- 10x vets, 1xPG 1xMulti.M, Infiltrate 210

HEAVY

Pred Destructor- 120

TRANSPORTS

2x drop pod

All CS and S.B have Krak grenades for vechiles i took no frags to shave off some points, my basic plan at the moment is drop pod assault my VD and support him with my infiltrated brethren until a get a CS dropped in and my terminator HQ deep strike, the remaining dread and CS are essentially fire support and the pred i through in to make up points. Other units I have at my disposal are a Assault squad, Land raider, marshal and Command squad, that I could potentially swap in or out as reccomendations.

At the moment his list consists of

HQ

Primaris Psyker

TROOPS-

3x Vet squads with autocannon teams

1x Psker squad

All with Chimeras

HEAVY

1x Plasma Russ

1X regular Russ

1x Manticore

2x Vendetta's

Sorry if I posted these in the wrong groups I don't have the guard codex, this is his basic list he mainly bombards me with the russ's and manticore from afar knocking out any armour I have and annhilating my foot troops he leaves his vets in the chimeras and knocks out anything I drop or move within in range. The list I have posted above I designed so in theory I get more heavy hitting troops in his face with the ability to engage his armour in assault.

I am open to all suggestions on how to best try and gain a win over this army thats just been stomping mine the last 3 games.

Quicky one, don't have much time: missiles are your friends.

You have cheap typhoons and nice terminators: use them to your advantage.

If you plan to walk your way up to the IG...its not going to happen :unsure:

Thanks for the reply, all bar one of my squads has a missle launcher at the moment my plan is to get in his face with deep strike/drop pods and the infiltrators hopefully that will put him off using his ordanace a bit, what do you think of the predator should I cut it in favour of more wargear choices or leave it to draw some fire perhaps?

In my opinion, the key to dealing with the IG is not to get too fancy.

You can kill anything in their army with a Tactical marine (or equivalent). As long as you can get to them, you will eat them alive in CQC.

Not quite true. I have seen and designed a few IG units that can wreak havoc on SM squads in CC. It is really not cool just how nasty blobs can be with allies.

In other news, you are facing an uphill battle there. Big blobs of crusaders with fast elements attacking the firepower elements is the only way I see you getting a fighting chance.

Not quite true. I have seen and designed a few IG units that can wreak havoc on SM squads in CC. It is really not cool just how nasty blobs can be with allies.

In other news, you are facing an uphill battle there. Big blobs of crusaders with fast elements attacking the firepower elements is the only way I see you getting a fighting chance.

I said CQC, not CC

Terrain. It's a bit over looked but grab terrain. If you're playing at a club that has boards set up like mine does then go for the most heavily built up city board they have. If you're playing at home you do not want to be staring down a blank table at the million guns of the imperial guard.

I'm a guardsman. I LOVE open fields. If he's playing smart there will be a lot of orders flying out and he can 'first rank fire second rank fire' you to death as you try to footslog up to him.

I also love mortar teams, yes I know most players hate them, but the psychological warfare of dropping pie plates on an opponent first turn can really win games.

Guard are shooty. You need to take that away from them. If he has tanks then make sure you have weapons and units that can reliably deny him that asset. If he is fielding massive infantry gunlines then use fast movers and get in his face as fast as you can, preferably with some flamers. Guard aren't tough.

That said, avoid any command squads he has floating about because I know from experience that they are massive sources of the finest oak aged cheddar that you can imagine. I use them to do bad things and so will he.

If he's playing Marbo, and really if he isn't he's nuts, then try not to think about him. He's scarier than he seems and half the time he kills himself. If he does appear accept the brutal pie plate but remember he can only do it once. Chances are if he survives he will bunker down in cover with a stupid save for the rest of the game. He's a threat but not one that requires your entire force to shoot at for a turn. I've had opponents stop their advance and waste an entire turn shooting to kill one guy who was worth hardly any points.

Again though, cover. I do not like fighting MEQ's in close environments. I'll try and set up lines of fire to defend myself but lots of terrain pieces can negate the usefulness of my tanks and they usually mean enemy assault squads can get in my face with the least amount of time spent taking massed lasgun fire.

He was using alot of orders but now he has replaced his commands squad with a psyker primaris I belive so he didn't use any in our last game. I definatly need to make more use of cover, the board we use has alot of rubble and urban pieces were I can set up. I should be doing a battle agaisnt another IG player next week and I will use this list so it should be a good trial by fire.

I'd drop the Ven Dread and the Sword Brethren.

I'd probably also drop the MoS. The EC can be your HQ.

Get rid of the Predator.

I'd take a regular Terminator Squad instead of that Command Squad.

Get:

An Aegis Defense Line with a Quad Gun for both his fliers and Chimeras.

Get a Drop Pod on top/as close to his Tanks (ie anything that can stop a LRCrusader - pretty much only the Manticore) as possible. Use a Melta Gun for effect, etc.

A Land Raider Crusader for The Terminators to ride in (this will change your life).

Take Land Speeder Typhoons.

Take Melta guns on the drop pod troops to take out tanks.

Try to get MM attack Bikes.

I have been thinking of getting some bikes and typhoons for awhile might have to invest some of my next pay into it as for the meltas i can easily swap some spare marines in and out, I will work on an alternate list when I have the time I should be playing a couple of games this week so that will give me a chance to try em out.

Archived