All Friendly Units? Who can benefit?

psiekier

Obviously, we Blood Angels have some lucky advantages well-suited to our army choices. The Blood chalice? Fantastic! A Sanguinary Novitiate accompanies every Honour Guard, and up to three Sanguinary Priests (one of whom may be He-of-the-Far-Seeing-Eye, Brother Corbulo) can accompany various other units for but a single Elites choice. That must be why Razorbacks have a transport capacity of six.

I am puzzled by the wording with regard to how such goodies work, though. In previous editions, and even sometimes between books in the same edition, items could benefit whole squads, and would say something like "any unit with a model within X inches" can pull off some manly feat in the name of our Most Holy Emperor.

In the Blood Angels codex, however, both the Blood Chalice and Company/Chapter Standard simply say, "all friendly units within X inches."

So, I would guess at least in the case of the banners that at least one model from the unit must be within 12" of the standard bearer for his unit to get the Leadership re-rolls. Leadership tests (specifically Morale and Pinning tests) are something a squad does as a whole; you can't have two squadboyz close enough to the Chapter Standard be heartened enough to stick it out for the Glory of Sanguinius while the remainder of the unit decides a strategic withdrawal is in order.

In the FAQ, however, the studio ladz make the point that a model (as opposed to a "squad" or "unit") benefits from the Blood Chalice when he is in position to put its effects to good use. In other words, if the assault squad charges during the assault phase, and suddenly finds themselves more than six inches away from the nearest Sanguinary Priest, they no longer have Furious Charge and do not gain its bonuses.

Would you, Brothers, think the entire squad would still benefit if at least one model is still close enough to the Sanguinary Priest to feel the call of our Primarch?

The blood chalice has been errata'd to say "change the first sentence to "All friendly units chosen from Codex: Blood Angels", just to keep that in mind, I was bummed about that when I was planning an allied list, but it makes sense. I think that as long as one model is in range his entire unit benefits from the rule since that's how we always play it at the two LGS that I've played at and no one ever had an issue with that. I read it that as soon as a unit has no models within 6" then they lose the bonus immediately. So yes I think the squad benefits from it as long as there is one model within range.

Archived