Starter Set Leaked

Master Sheol

With Two boxes you can make a full Dark Angels allied contingent. 1 HQ, 1 Elite, 2 Troops, and 1 Fast Attack. Throw in some Devs and you're good to go.

I could also start that Black Legion or Iron Warriors project I've been brewing up too...

Well; I am of mixed feelings with the new models, though I'll get that set as soon as it is available.

Here are my humble thoughts of the models (this might change seeing models first hand), Dark Angels only because I have no need for Chaos models:

Company Master

Well I am a bit worried he has sleeves, and that overall wizard-like robes makes me dislike the model seriously. Wings on the helmet look really weird, like its a sticker or a drawing on flat plates. Pose is great though, an echo of Ezekiel; which again is sort of a minus because Ezekiel should stay unique as it was.

Rating 2/5

Librarian

Great dynamic pose, that begs for a jump-pack. Again, I dislike that wizard robe elements of the robes which were always plain monastic and that adds more to the dark hermetic theme we have (or had). I also don't like tabards on our models, since it is a signature look for the Black Templars; please GW lets stay on robes for the Unforgiven.

Rating 4/5

Interrogator-Chaplain

Awesome model, but I will for sure remove that ugly fantasy-like smoke from the censers, or probably remove the whole thing since it doesn't seem it can be removed without affecting the censer details. What I really hate about this model is that is limited edition, since we don't know what are the terms of its limit. I remember that beautiful limited edition Company Master was limited to Dark Angels Battleforce for USA market, and that sucked for the rest of us; nowadays that single model runs on Ebay for 70+ GBP. Having said that, it doesn't affect my rating of that model, at all. I love it!

Rating 5/5

Deathwing Terminator Squad

First of all; THOSE SILLY WINGS HAVE TO GO! That Sergeant looks like a Easter bunny! Thank God it is plastic, so I'll shave it of without problems. Other than that, models are good; even the Assault Cannon model though he looks like a pouting crybaby. I don't like that two out of five of the models are identical, it is obvious no matter how GW tried to hide it by turning one to the side; they are the same (on the picture models left of the Chain Fist model). Good amount of feathers, Dark Angels details, and most importantly ritual swords is what boosts their value to me.

I would rate them higher if there was no DONKEY/RABBIT Terminator Sergeant; really hope this is not the GW design direction of beloved Deathwing!

Rating 3/5

Ravenwing Bike Squadron

I really like them, great models. They will be my first Ravenwing models (yes, I don't have any Ravenwing models yet, no matter I have over 5K pts of Dark Angels) One more important thing for me is that they don't challenge old Ravenwing bikers, so RW players won't feel bad with models they already have.

Rating 5/5

Dark Angels Tactical Squad

Well, I really hate that Sergeant because he has a tabard; again we are not Black Templars (though I see this as GW wanting to sell some of Dark Angels stuff to both Unforgiven and Black Templar players). GW please sort Your notes; Dark Angels = monastic robes / Black Templars = knightly tabards! Strong Plasma presence shows that GW still keeps enforcing that theme on us; though personally I never fielded Plasmagun or Plasma Cannon with my Tactical Squad. So about the models; well, Plasma Cannon one is a good model, but the rest of the models are not very diverse. There are only 4 different models, aside from Sergeant and Plasma Cannon marine; even the Plasmagun model has it's clone in the squad, just wielding a Boltgun instead. AoBR set Tactical Squad had more different models, however they might be static, these for this new set are not that much dynamic either.

I am really not impressed, and even Dark Angels shoulder markings cannot get them better standing; for me this squad is the worst element of the box. Having already 6 full Tactical Squads with all the options, and now being offered with these poor models trying to be stamped as Dark Angels just because they have a Plasma squad loadout doesn't work for me; at all. I have no real place for them, and even less desire for them and will probably trade them together with Chaos models from the box; though I will keep the Plasma Cannon model, and will see if I can convert Sergeant tabard into robes.

Rating 1/5

TOTAL RATING (Dark Angels models): 3/5

PS: Small Rulebook is always useful, so it is a great bonus for the purchase of the set.

So, just got to see the additional pages of miniature pics, and the first thing I did was turn to my wife and let her know that our bank account may actually be in some trouble...

I wasn't sold on the Company Master, and I'm still not. He's got a little too much cloth on for me: he's wearing an under-robe, and then another half robe thing over that (and it definitely has sleeves, that's a sleeve on the right hand side of the model as you look at it, that's not a folded over cape, it makes a full ring around that arm), and then he's also wearing a cape. That's more cloth than you would usually put on a wizard. Too many wings though. I've got no problem with wings on our guys, but he's got three that stand out from the model (and the ones on the helm look to be way too big, they look even bigger than the Lion Helm wings) and two that appear to be molded onto the cloth half-robe thing. And I don't like that he's using Ezekiel's pose (then again, I don't like Ezekiel's pose even on him).

The Librarian seems pretty standard fare, but I think he's definitely a keeper. I like the pose and he doesn't have too much cloth on him, and the DA symbol doesn't seem that out of place really. While I would definitely like to see GW do a DA Librarian that resembles (or is a copy of) the one depicted on page 38, I do like this guy a lot.

The Interrogator-Chaplain is awesome. I even like the smoke effect. That he resembles Helbrecht just a little seems like an even more added bonus for Templar converters as well. I honestly love everything on that model and I also appreciate the little things that make him look like the cover of the C:DA 4th Ed codex Chaplain, although I wish he had the hood. I've wanted to make something that resembles that Chaplain for a long time, I just haven't bitz-d it all out yet.

The Tact squad is pretty standard fare for a starter set, I don't mind the repeated poses, I was expecting that. They will be the back-row fillers for me. However, I really do like the Plasma Cannon bearer and the Sergeant (sorry, I don't think that tabards are Templar only, I think they fit the DA too, and if they are of benefit to help sell to Templar players, more power to their use) is great. Just the right amount of bling on him for a sergeant and he really looks like he's giving a command rather than himself doing the hacking, which I think it appropriate to the Dark Angels. The Plasma Cannon guy has a "Crusader" style helmet, which I find very cool. Wish there were a couple more in the squad.

The Ravenwing demi-squad is great, awesome models all around. I like the molded icons on the bikes, the different fender pattern, and holy crap, some awesome new bike exhaust pipes. They are a little lacking in the extra packs category that made them look a little more scout-like, operating without support for longer, and I wonder some if this heralds a little bit different information on them coming in the new Codex (although I'm probably just reading too much into it and the extra packs can always be added).

The Deathwing squad. This part is the one that I think is the most fantastic. They are :o awesome. I love 'em. I love the feathered head crest on the sergeant (without actually being on the helmet), the tabard (which is better for a Terminator) with the great halo encircled skull and feathers clasp for it, all his hanging bling and the molded angel on his greave. The studs on all the rest of them are awesome, they look much better than the plain smooth Terminators, and I really like the molded sword icons for the Aquila. I'm glad they added the ceremonial blades and I really like the small winged shield on the chain fist. I really don't mind the repeated model, that's to be expected in a starter set. I really like the assault cannon bearer, he's standing there like he's gonna rock somethings world, I love the hanging feathers and hanging blades, the belt icon almost looks like it might be a laurel wreath around the skull. I love the hanging skull on the cannon and it looks like his cannon is rocking a double load of rounds as it looks like he has a two sided ammo hopper at the back of the weapon.

The more I look at these new models the more I feel like chucking in my DA and resurrecting my Chaos dudes. Those are wicked.

I'm not happy with Harry Potter/Easter Bunny/Templar marines (I REALLY like the bikes though).

I like the extra bling on the DW, I just hate the poses, and that if I got them the 'flashest' unit of DW in my collection would be kitted for a shooty role and not attached to Belial as a result. Seems a waste.

---Patience Stobz lad, patience. It's only a starter pack---

Anyone want to buy a 10k+ DA army? :)

stobz

EDIT: Grammar and clarity

The more I look at these new models the more I feel like chucking in my DA and resurrecting my Chaos dudes. Those are wicked.

I'm not happy with Harry Potter/Easter Bunny/Templar marines (I REALLY like the bikes though).

I like the extra bling on the DW, I just hate the poses, and that if I got them the 'flashest' unit of DW in my collection would be kitted for a shooty role and not attached to Belial as a result. Seems a waste.

---Patience Stobz lad, patience. It's only a starter pack---

Anyone want to buy a 10k+ DA army? ;)

stobz

EDIT: Grammar and clarity

Only 10K+ your slacking. :)

If I had the money I'd buy your army in a heartbeat stobz.

As far as the box goes I'll be buying one for sure and hopefully trading the chaos to someone else. Although the chaos are pretty dang cool and I may just keep them to paint and put on a shelf.

+++deleted waffles+++

Back on topic :( : I'm stoked the DA are getting heaps of love and attention (I have a nerdgasm every time a new leak happens), they just aren't quite fitting my vision for my dudes, no need to panic, I'll still box on with my less flashy, more monastic version.

Great times ahead...

:D

stobz

Over all it's pretty much what was to be expected. Lots of wings, and angry looking marines on the other side.

The 2 stand out things for me are the termies and the crazy bling. The termies look a bit on the chubby side to me. It could be a conscious decision, by GW, to differentiate them from their regular vanilla brothers; being slightly less angular. Hopefully they'll grow on me. :D

Now we come to the bling. It looks like a marine jumped through a time warp gate and grabbed a shed load of high elf Phoenix Guard gear while they weren't looking. :( Aesthetically it's dramatic, and cool for the hobbyist, battlefield wise not so much.

The bikes and regular marines appear pretty solid, a big plus.

So 3 out of 5 on what I've seen here, possibly a 4 when better photos are available.

So 3 out of 5 on what I've seen here, possibly a 4 when better photos are available.

That's probably about right, with some great bits and some not so dependant on taste.

I think Chaos got a decent 4.5/5 but at least we are back baby, back.

s

Actually the Assault Cannon Termie does not bother me. I can do as many front-pointing termies as I like with all the bitz I have collected over the centuries but this guy looks as if he had just finished shooting an inspects the result... I can live with that. What I really don't like is the feathers on the sergeant... Maybe when I look at in up close I will feel better about it.

Oh, and not very fond of the Chaplain either! :)

I find the whole Terminator Squad just boring. The sergeant would be the only model looking OK if there weren´t those feather-ears.

In my opinion the Deathwing should be looking more menacing and sinister, with robes and/or even sashes or tabards. But this Squad just looks boring and in comparison to the Blood Angels Terminators from Space Hulk even more disappointing. (considering this is the Starter Set its basically the same effort as the Space Hulk Box).

But i don´t give up the hope for an awesome Deathwing-Terminator-Box for the coming Dark Angel Codex, whenever this will happen.

The Company master, Librarian and the Interrogator Chaplain all look awesome on the other side.

The Tactical-Squad maybe OK, even they are again a little boring and the Sergeant is a riddle to me, why is he wearing a tabard instead of a robe?

Ravenwing looks fine, i like the posing of the bikers.

Barakiel

First of all; THOSE SILLY WINGS HAVE TO GO! That Sergeant looks like a Easter bunny!

I agree with that. I suppose I wil be converting them - definietely sergeant with his horrible wings and assault cannon terie to look more like he is shooting. I do not also like all those studs on termies armour - too many of them. At least removing them will be easy :)

I do not like also the interrogator chaplain's flat robe on the front - rest on him is good.

First of all; THOSE SILLY WINGS HAVE TO GO! That Sergeant looks like a Easter bunny! Thank God it is plastic, so I'll shave it of without problems. Other than that, models are good; even the Assault Cannon model though he looks like a pouting crybaby. I don't like that two out of five of the models are identical, it is obvious no matter how GW tried to hide it by turning one to the side; they are the same (on the picture models left of the Chain Fist model). Good amount of feathers, Dark Angels details, and most importantly ritual swords is what boosts their value to me.

I would rate them higher if there was no DONKEY/RABBIT Terminator Sergeant; really hope this is not the GW design direction of beloved Deathwing!

Rating 3/5

Ditto, they are getting removed, or at least remodelled, they look silly.

Plus can you really see them in a Space Hulk clearance? "wait up guys my wings have got stuck again......genestealer behind me? Hang on.....oh sh......"

Anyone else not to keen on the ravenwing back wings? Prefer the older one. The fronts will make great sergeant bikes thou.

Chaos-nice but I'm not getting sucked in.....really .......honestly.

DM

Anyone else not to keen on the ravenwing back wings? Prefer the older one. The fronts will make great sergeant bikes thou.

Me neither, I would have preferred the same angle the old bikes have. Or rather the same angle. I don't like that they differ. Gonna stand out like s sore thumb...

No so keen on the bib of the librarian either...

The rest of DA is fine and dandy. Don't care about chaos, gonna sell them on ebay....

Edit: Spelling

Looks great! I was already going to pick up the box because of the rulebook (I only have the 5th Ed mini rulebook now), and then figured while at it the Dark Angels would make for a nice ally chapter for my Black Templars... and these pics really make me want to get the set as soon as possible! Given the more complex paint jobs these require compared to my Templars (which already take ages per model for me) though, who knows when I'll feel confident enough to even try :P

While I'm planning on keeping the Orks from AoBR to build a heretical xeno army at some point, I'm probably gonna trade the Chaos dudes unless they turn out to so nice that I'll just keep them as display models.

So I am a bit slow on the uptake and this may have been mentioned but I missed it:

This event, "Dark Vengeance", is mentioned in the V6 Rulebook. Page 176 (Timeline pages) 884999M41, The Dark Angels 5th Company battles elements of the Crimson Slaughter (pic of these Chaos Marines on pg. 299 of the V6 rulebook) for control of the Hellfire Stone. The Nephilim sector trembles as the hated foes clash.....

Me neither, I would have preferred the same angle the old bikes have. Or rather the same angle. I don't like that they differ. Gonna stand out like a sore thumb

Yep, that's my feeling, I have some standard ones that I was going to use on my speeders, simple swap should work.

DM

Anyone seen anything in regards to starter set price?

I've talked myself into buying (2) of the first sets right off the bat. The minis are too good not to and I suppose having a small PA force won't be awful. The Terminators are nice, and will fulfill my need for (2) more Assault Cannons, so I can take the two Assault cannon guys I was going to build and give them Flamers. This is good.

The Chaos Stuff looks awesome, and I have a feeling that I know someone that will want to paint them up, so maybe I'll let him have them.

Mainly I want a pair of those chaplains and hope to trade for a third one. We'll see what happens.

Paul

Archived