Starter Set Leaked

Master Sheol

I think my opinion mirrors the general consensus. The master is iffy, I like the chaplain, and the librarian is so-so. I'm not a fan of the deathwing at all, and the tactical marines are okay, but not inspiring (they obviously used the last starter set as a base). The bikes are where it's at for sure. I absolutely love the bikes. But I already have 6 full squads of bikes.

And why the plasma? Why? It's insanity. They don't have anything but bolters and plasma. Not even a flamer. Maybe they thought chaos would have a chance if they made the DA unilaterally overheat and kill themselves.

DA models I think they're all OK - if a little underwhelming. The chaos models on the other hand are pure awesome sauce.

Slightly disappointed that they aren't 'dark' enough – but I'm sure a non-GW paintjob could do wonders with these sculpts. Imagine bevulf's or Stobz's efforts on these for instance to name just two of our star painters. Small details annoy me a bit – like the little wingy pauldron thing in the chainfist model for instance – but no doubt over time these will become invisible. Best of the bunch: for me the Libby and all the sergeants. Nice to have proper character models for these.

No, what really disappoints me is no Master in termy armour :(.

At a push the DW sarge could make the basis of very nice Belial indeed – even armed as is with just the SoS and bolt pistol – but here's hoping those arms interchange well ;). I suspect many Belials wil be built easily around that torso :D.

LE Chaplain looks like something well worth getting hold of. The plasma pistol is a classic DA chappy build, as is the plasma used elsewhere. It seems that GW are beleiving their own mis-placed fluff in that respect and have fallen victim to a form of DA self-parody :D. On the other hand – when our new dex is out we might be all clamouring for plamsa once again.

Cheers

I

DA models I think they're all OK - if a little underwhelming. The chaos models on the other hand are pure awesome sauce.

Slightly disappointed that they aren't 'dark' enough – but I'm sure a non-GW paintjob could do wonders with these sculpts. Imagine bevulf's or stobz's efforts on these for instance. Small details annoy me a bit – like the little wingy pauldron thing in the chainfist model for instance– but no doubt over time these will become invisible. Best of the bunch: for me the Libby and all the sergeants. Nice to have proper character models for these.

No, what really disappoints me is no Master in termy armour :(.

At a push the DW sarge could make the basis of very nice Belial inded – even armed with just the SoS and bolt pistol – here's hoping those arms interchange well ;). I suspect many Belials wil be built easily around that torso :yes:.

LE Chaplain looks like something well worth getting hold of. The plasma pistol is a classic DA chappy build, as is the plasma used elsewhere. It seems that GW are beleiving their own mis-placed fluff in that respect and have fallen victim to a form of DA self-parody :whistling:. On the other hand – when are new dex is out we might be all clamouring for plamsa once again.

Cheers

I

If only those wings were not there... But I do like the studs. A lot! They'll fit well with my Consecrators! :)

LE Chaplain looks like something well worth getting hold of. The plasma pistol is a classic DA chappy build, as is the plasma used elsewhere. It seems that GW are beleiving their own mis-placed fluff in that respect and have fallen victim to a form of DA self-parody :whistling: . On the other hand – when are new dex is out we might be all clamouring for plamsa once again.

Cheers

I

I really like the Chaplain too, but I find it weird that he looks (apart from iconography) very much like the BT Chappy Captain Semper has used in his Final Report thread :yes: I'm thinking GW are trying to please more than just us with this mini.

And why the plasma? Why? It's insanity. They don't have anything but bolters and plasma. Not even a flamer. Maybe they thought chaos would have a chance if they made the DA unilaterally overheat and kill themselves.

That's how Chaos makes up for the point difference.

Adding my +1 to Lion El Jason;

- The fact that you don't have to do everything yourself anymore, that they have some variation in themselves is positive; for that means they have even more potential than the "venerable versions of the long past" in terms of converting.

(The only complaint I had with the Metallic Deathwing, even if I loved them and didn't wish to touch the "new terminator models", due to their lack of the Daggers + Feathers and so on, hence sticking with the Older than Time itself models)

Great news DA fans, it seems as if 80% of the interwebz wants to get a starter set for the superior Chaos stuff, they will likely sell their DA stuff to us at a discount on ebayish sites, no need to get the starter at all.

Life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

We'll see how wrong I am over the next few months ofc. :huh:

s

I love the new models. I'm planning on getting two sets so I can convert one.

Lots of conversion ideas here. You could make a Biker Librarian with the Ravenwing Sgt body.

For those that dislike the Assault Cannon you could simply remove the arm and use the Assault cannon arm and pad from the Vet's box.

The Bolt Pistol Biker could easily hold a Meltagun.

well, it seems i´ll be going in a oposite direction than most people here, as i´m not inclined to buy the box.

- company master: i like the pose but just robes would be nice, dont like the robes with a shirt with sleeves on top, with a cape on top. way to much cloth :D

- librarian: its better, but i already have several librarians (on PA, on TDA, with jp, in a bike) and dont really need another

- chaplain: not a bad model, i dislike the smoke thingys but they can just be clipped off. dont like the cape + tabbard

- deathwing: nice, i dislike the bunny hears on the sarge and the pose on the assault cannon could be a little better, but i already have 50+ terminators (they would be great to replace the models from the space hulk game however), so...

- ravenwing: the best part of the DA section, but i think the bike wing thingys should be like the current ones to blend in better. as in my deathwing i dont really need any more bikes, so ...

- tatical: tabbard on sarge :P , the rest are ok, they would mix well with any existing models. once again, i have more than a company of marines, so little use for 10 more

- chaos: the models are nice, and would look great in a world bearers army, but simply just dont fit in any way in my iron warriors army, so meh.

all things considered i believe ill be saving around 100 euros, and i just have to wait for the chaos and da dex

all looking good in my opinion

loving the libby and chappie...seriously loving the chappie infact!

the ravenwing are looking sweet..the sgt is cool as...the way the hood falls is pure win

loving the deathwing and the hark back to the old metal termies with the details added

just nice to see some new models to be honest...and hope that this is just a taster of things to come

for the lion!

Raven Angel Posted Yesterday, 11:16 PM

Counts as Venerable Dread

hmmmm...

Brother dean Posted Yesterday, 11:16 PM

Angel of Blades? Always wanted to build one of those....

Well, when you put it THAT way... it would be wrong for me not to keep it now. ^_^

Stobz Posted Today, 12:01 AM

Great news DA fans, it seems as if 80% of the interwebz wants to get a starter set for the superior Chaos stuff, they will likely sell their DA stuff to us at a discount on ebayish sites, no need to get the starter at all.

Life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I'll probably be hunting for both DA and Chaos parts anyway.

LEMONS FOR THE LEMON GOD... er, I mean FOR THE LION!

Dread Posted Today, 04:09 AM

I'm getting one and my bud is getting one, he gets the chaos and I get the DA. I will only get more excited with the release of our dex and only if it doesn't hose us worse then we are now.

Last time I did that with a starter set, I got conned into the Dark Eldar side. I'm glad you have a better friend. This one is mine mine mine mine mine...

Aradiel Posted Today, 07:07 AM

well, it seems i´ll be going in a oposite direction than most people here, as i´m not inclined to buy the box.

[snip]

all things considered i believe ill be saving around 100 euros, and i just have to wait for the chaos and da dex

You lucky :P . You'll be able to buy more cool stuff in the next wave. Your wallet shall not escape...

chaplain mortis Posted Today, 07:33 AM

all looking good in my opinion

Mine too. I got rid of my original DA models some time ago, so this will be a nice reboot.

hmmm...

IMHO, these are great minis as far as the starter set goes; the detail and variety is a big leap from even the AOBR set. I must admit, I'm not too taken with the pose of the assault cannon DW Termie, or the Sergeant, but the rest seem ok.

The Chaos stuff is meh, the cultists are a bit poor, I think that minis leaning a little more towards the styling of FW renegade guard would have been better, and some of the Chosen look a bit off too...and the Dreadnought equivalent is shocking.

probably not enough to stop me buying it though, even if it is just to soothe the pain of not getting Space Hulk

^_^

Anyone slightly concerned that the DW squad is entirely "Tactical" in configuration? Sign of things to come? I hope not, DW should be able to mix and match Combat Terminators with Tactical Terminators at the very least when the new codex drops (and maybe get access to combi-weapons, kinda unsure on this though as its a hallmark of Chaos and Wolfy Terminators).

Also, curse this starter set, it makes me want to kick start the DA army I was talking about a year or so ago but the Chaos stuff is tasty too...still think I need a Deathwing box or something before I take the plunge, but will definitely get this set and hope I get a copy with the Chaplain.

I'm excited for it. I like most of the DA models and I love the Cultists, some of which may become Chapter Serfs in my Angels of Absolution. I'll definitely be using the Chaplain, Librarian, and most of the Ravenwing and Deathwing with minimal conversion. I only really dislike the Assault Cannon Terminator and who knows, I might come up with something cool to use him for with a little work. I see potential in all of it.

Most of the Chaos stuff will go to a friend. Its a win win for me.

I'm not terribly concerned about this being a full Shooty configured DW squad and it portending anything, I'm looking at the original 2nd Edition Deathwing Terminators box and it was set in exactly the same configuration as this starter set except it had a Heavy Flamer instead of an Assault Cannon. That box set didn't mean anything, so I won't take this starter squad configuration as laden with meaning until I see information that makes me believe otherwise. That particular squad set up is one of the most universal, so seeing as they will try to market this starter to the widest audience possible, they'd want to include as much in the starter that can be used as widely as possible.

Archived