Starter Set Leaked

Master Sheol

However, I'm rather apprehensive that they'll do something silly for our next dex akin to the Sanguinary Guard With Nipples

Real men have nipples, well I did the last time I looked! :lol:

Having looked at the set a bit more I think the DA side is solid. I still don't like the termies, and am I imagining that the SB one is duplicated? Really poor form if thats the case. :lol:

Having looked at the set a bit more I think the DA side is solid. I still don't like the termies, and am I imagining that the SB one is duplicated? Really poor form if thats the case. :)

Yes, the SB/PF guy is a double... What is the problem with that?

These guys are the most detailed starter models for 40K ever, considering the level of detail given to the Chaos side, I'll forgive a little duplication. It's a starter, so it isn't really that big a deal, even if it didn't save them an additional mold for some reason, it saved them having to make a 5th model.

If this were the Deathwing Terminator box with all the bits and fixin's, I'd be cranky, but seeing as this is a starter set, I'll forgive them a single duplicate on the DW and the Tact squad positionings. This isn't the Space Hulk re-issue, which had about half the models this one does for probably a somewhat similar price (think Space hulk was like 45-55€ while this will probably be 65-70€). Let's be somewhat realistic.

IIRC Space Hulk was about 70€, and this will be 85€.

I'm just being predantic thought, and perhaps a bit miffed that the Chaos side got the funkier eye candy.

I sold my RT DA force a few years back, and have been looking for an excuse to get back into them since. My expectation level was sky high, and now I'm just trying to regroup and reassess. :P

New toys are all nice and good, unfortunately I think GW failed with the SGT. We already have the PP/CS Sgt.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/pueriexdeus/IMG_0024.jpg

I personally would rather have seen something new.

Meh, I can't help but think that so many people have over-the-top expectations for these starter sets. Seriously, they're under half price of the separate packs, you can't exactly expect finecast quality. Like with AoBR, buying a tactical squad, Dread, terminator squad and a commander dude costs over 100 euros. Sure, you get additional bits with the separe purchases, but you also get the opposing force in the starter set. Not to mention the rulebook. I'm happy enough with the AoBR units. They're not as detailed as separate packs, but still pretty good. Keep in mind, these starter sets are mainly gaming sets, not display sets. Good value for money regardless.

I'm unsure why people see this as a problem. Already you get variations in power armor decorations, helmets, and there's even different dread models and older versions/patterns of vehicles like Rhinos as well... so is it so inconceivable to use a different "pattern" of a bike?

Just something about that always gets me.. (minor OCD issue perhaps) but I like to all look the same (within reason) the odd helmet here and there or purity seal or different weapon makes no difference but when it's a totally different bike in the middle of the unit.. I can see potentially using them as sergeants though... I think a lot of it for me will be rules driven.. if bikers now can have a pistol or something similar as a modelling option, that works for me! :)

Ravenwing bikers already come with bolt pistols. However twin-linked boltguns on a relentless model are better for shooting and without a ccw the pistol gives no benefit so nobody uses them.

Good morning brothers,

From what i can see of the models in the images (will have to wiat till saturday to see them up close) im really liking them with the exceptions of the company master, DW sergent/assualt cannon and hell brute, for the same reasons as almost everyone else (too much cloth, silly wings, etc...). Its not that i hate the models, its just that before i add them to my army il convert them to make them feel a little more normal (for instance, how would the master get inside a transport with those large wings on his helmet?). i always look at models from a practical side of things, thats why i never put back banners on my models. I will definatly try to get a limited edition box for the chaplin though, apart from the censurs (?) on his back, which will quickly be removed, he looks excellant!

Im also looking forward to having a small rule book, will come in handy. Il either share the chaos models with my brother or add them to my newly started Night lords army.

To be honest, though i was looking forward to this starter set, im actually looking forward to our new codex more (whenever it comes out)

I always look at models from a practical side too, that's why they all wear their helmets. Why do Librarians almost never wear helmets? Except the FW guy and a super old terminator, I have not been able to find a single one. And that bugs me with the starter set one too, who will be getting a hooded helmet from the veteran box. But as far as these go, I have no issues:

for instance, how would the master get inside a transport with those large wings on his helmet?

Maybe he takes it off? Not like he is likely to get shot in the head when he is in his transport.

that's why i never put back banners on my models.

What if they have telescopic poles and the banners are folded before deployment? I think they look too cool to miss out on, so I'm happy with that answer :)

I will definitely try to get a limited edition box for the chaplain though, apart from the censers on his back, which will quickly be removed, he looks excellent! I'm also looking forward to having a small rule book, will come in handy.

Agreed on all counts!

(for instance, how would the master get inside a transport with those large wings on his helmet?)

He climbs on top, lower himself in through the hatch, poses to point dramatically at the enemy and cries:

"Drive me closer brothers, i will hit them with my sword!"

Al

(for instance, how would the master get inside a transport with those large wings on his helmet?)

He climbs on top, lower himself in through the hatch, poses to point dramatically at the enemy and cries:

"Drive me closer brothers, i will hit them with my sword!"

Al

:blink:

I always look at models from a practical side too, that's why they all wear their helmets. Why do Librarians almost never wear helmets? Except the FW guy and a super old terminator, I have not been able to find a single one. And that bugs me with the starter set one too, who will be getting a hooded helmet from the veteran box.

You need to find this guy:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/Deathwatch008.jpg

Or the guy in back but he is even older.. The one in front is from the mid 90s...

What if they have telescopic poles and the banners are folded before deployment? I think they look too cool to miss out on, so I'm happy with that answer :lol:

I believe the back banners are retractable but I'm struggling to find a source to back that up.

What if they have telescopic poles and the banners are folded before deployment? I think they look too cool to miss out on, so I'm happy with that answer :)

I believe the back banners are retractable but I'm struggling to find a source to back that up.

Yes they are supposedly retractable.

Anyway look, in this game one has to suspend belief yes? Otherwise, well the whole game magic is just blown away :lol:.

Cheers

I

You need to find this guy:

Nice one! It's good to know some librarians are sensible!

Haha! Maybe that's where my idea comes from too.. I'd love to get a source for that!

Anyway look, in this game one has to suspend belief yes? Otherwise, well the whole game magic is just blown away :).

To me, the magic comes from everything fitting together nicely and being sensible while extraordinary. I can live with "there is a warp dimension and it fuels magic-like psychic powers" but if then one goes on and says: "Those banner poles fit in rhinos because... the warp did it!" then that doesn't quite seem as satisfying.

Back (sort of) on topic: Any conversions you guys intend to do besides removing funky wings?

I'm looking for a helmet for the librarian and sergeant (that head looks.. just weird..), but I'm not sure which ones. Also, trimming that arrow from the sergeant's tabard. Are "This way is up" symbols common for DA tactical squads? I'm not sure why that symbol is there.. and I thought you had the "goes both way" one :P

I don't intend to remove any of the wings, except maybe the ones on the Company Master.

I'm pretty sure that's not an arrow on the Sergeant's tabard, fairly certain that's supposed to be a sword...

Oh! A downward pointing sword? That's quite possible, it looks lonely without the wings, but that's easily painted on. I'll have to see!

Real men have nipples, well I did the last time I looked! :huh:

I have nipples, therefore real men have nipples? Non sequitur! :P

But it does, but it does :devil:

Anyways, I've read that the Ltd ed. will be available through GW, naturally, but may be limited in number to indies. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but DA buyers should take note. You don't want to turn up at your indie to find they've sold the only Ltd copy earlier to Lil'Timmy! :lol:

I intend to pre-order through the local Good Games. Members discount for the win! I also wonder how many people are going halfsies with someone? I am. DA and mini rulebook for me, Chaos and templates for my mate. Then I shall purchase a second, Chaos for me, templates for the house armies and...DA for whoever. My housemate can have the mini rulebook.

GW-only... crap, that's going to make it difficult for me to get the Interrogator-Chaplain, then ;) Not to mention expensive, considering the higher postage and in general higher price compared to where I bought my current kits from. Might just be better off with the Librarian for the price difference, as it pretty much means I could buy any single finecast character with it.

EDIT: Oops, jumped the gun on that one, it seems the store I bought from counts as a GW store or something, since the store locator finds it and they actually already have the limited edition listed for preorder :)

Are you sure on that? I'm sure GW have recently issued a pretty serious NDA, and that means NO pre orders/ advertising for any releases till the right time i.e 25th August in this case. Fantasiapelit won't even let me buy the WD a day early, so I really doubt they're doing starter set!

Archived