Iron Warriors Siege Scouts

Really lovin your work!

Excellent Iron Warriors. I like the way you started off just painting the one guy and now its developed into a squad. Worth it though because its a great looking little unit. Nice touch using the combi flamers.

I like Lestat's idea of the forlorn hope type squad. Sounds like your Word Bearers are doing what the Emperor did with the Iron Warriors, Just throwing them relentlessly into siege after siege....

Great stuff

Cheers

Quick update, the chevron test paint has been successful I think:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8181/7886052412_a012ec91f1_n.jpghttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8029/7886050732_53accc848e_n.jpg

So 1 down, 3 to go!

@ Lestat: I know I'm not supposed to eat it but the quickest way to clean and re-point your brush's tip/lift paint away from where it's not supposed to be is to put it in your mouth...

@ Biohazard: thanks mate :D

@ The Yak:

Sounds like your Word Bearers are doing what the Emperor did with the Iron Warriors, Just throwing them relentlessly into siege after siege....

Hmm... fluff is now forming (smiles evilly) thank you :lol:

Well, double post again but all the pauldrons are now done, decals are on and the micro sol is drying... All in all a pretty productive day as I've also got the bases for the four combi-bolter marines made and undercoated and I'm hoping to get them all painted tomorrow so I'll get some pics up then. I'm kinda hustling (although not rushing) to get these finished as i received emails saying that my Chaos Lord in TDA and my copy of Dark Vengeance have been despatched...

Cheers

James

The chevrons look great - just adds a little colour to the dark armour.

You are proving to be a source of inspiration James - I am so sorely tempted to get some Mk.V's and do some IF Siege Scouts/Sternguard. After all, the Loyalist siege experts would likely have a similar unit (if you don't mind me borrowing the idea, that is) :lol:

Arghh, dammit - looks like I'll be spending my backpay sooner than I thought. Although I may just order them and pick them up at Games Day.................

@ Lestat: I know I'm not supposed to eat it but the quickest way to clean and re-point your brush's tip/lift paint away from where it's not supposed to be is to put it in your mouth...

Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one who did that, lol!

Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one who did that, lol!

Me too.

OT - Love these guys man. Question on the first marine, did you just shave his leg down to get rid of the studs? I was wondering about it the first time I saw it and its just been bugging me ever since. I really like the hazard stripes too.

@ Lestat: nope, I don't mind at all, feel free to borrow away. I think you're right the Imperial Fists would inevitably have developed a similar unit to the Siege Scouts although I imagine Dorn may have treated them with rather less callous disregard than Peturabo would use his.

Hmm... you're going to GamesDay? Think I might have to send you a PM...

@ DeathKnight2000: Thanks, would you believe though that the colour of the armour plates is just Boltgun Metal, Devlan Mud and Badab Black (in that order). As for the spikeness, these will be left as they are. I've never really seen Iron Warriors (or as a rule most Traitor Legions) as spikey as I dislike GW's attitude of 'weld a cast iron fence on that... there now it's Chaos!'. What got me excited about Traitors again was seeing the new models in DV. They look like Chaos always did in the artwork but hasn' appeared in miniature form since RT in my opinion. So no, no spikes I'm afraid.

@ 1000heathens: nope, you're not the only one. I've been eating paint for as long as I've been painting (which is about 15 odd years now I think). The worst tasting ones I've found so far are Iyanden Darksun, Khemri Brown and most of the 'old' Washes and Vallejo Charred Brown is just horrible. People find it funny when they see me painting and 'eat the paint' (reactions range from 'eewww! how can you do that?!' to 'did you just...?') but it's just part of my painting technique now, plus it's effective and it has saved paint jobs in the past, I figure if it aint broke don't fix it. I'm very glad that the majority of Acrylics are non-toxic though! :lol:.

@ Tanith Ghost: Thanks, you're absolutely right. On the first mini I did just shave the studs off the leg. I did debate doing it to the other four as well but I wanted the 'champion' to stand apart from the rest of the unit, so I left them and went with the offset brass studs instead :P.

@ Brother 'Ussell: nine days ago? you should of said, we could've thrown you a party... :). Aside from the well documented issues that that kept me from posting here I went through quite a long period of being uninspired by Power Armoured mini's in general, I'm not sure why but it was mostly just that there wasn't really anything I really wanted to paint so I'd start something and then a couple of layers of paint later I'd sideline it. So I looked for inspiration elsewhere and found it in some of the other 40k races and in the Fantasy ones too. If you check out my Flickr Photostream (in my sig) you'll see what I mean.

With all the talk of Chaos and 6th edition I've found myself re-energised and wanting to paint Astartes again so here I am :).

cheers

James

Double post again. I managed to get the mini's within a hairsbreadth of completion today, in fact all that's missing is the marking on the left shoulder of the 'champion'. I've left this for now as I thought a really cool way of tying this squad in with the rest of the army would be to use a either the number or symbol of the Word Bearers host that they are fighting for/with. Might not quite fit with fluff but I thought it might make for an interesting hook for some back story to the army...

So completed photos are in the Hall of Honour here.

Thanks for all the feed back everyone's given with this project, it's really helped me stay interested and inspired and has pushed me to go further than I was going to with some of the details. In fact with out your input this would likely still only be a single mini :devil:

James

Rather than Siege Scouts, I think Dorns progeny would use a title more along the lines of Siege Engineers or Combat Engineers.

Those Boarding assault shields would work well too............

I can see this order becoming more expensive ^_^

Right, off to HOH to see your finished results!

@ 1000heathens: nope, you're not the only one. I've been eating paint for as long as I've been painting (which is about 15 odd years now I think). The worst tasting ones I've found so far are Iyanden Darksun, Khemri Brown and most of the 'old' Washes and Vallejo Charred Brown is just horrible. People find it funny when they see me painting and 'eat the paint' (reactions range from 'eewww! how can you do that?!' to 'did you just...?') but it's just part of my painting technique now, plus it's effective and it has saved paint jobs in the past, I figure if it aint broke don't fix it. I'm very glad that the majority of Acrylics are non-toxic though! :confused:.

Fire Dragon crimson was a foul tasting beast if ever there was one. Ive found a couple of pots of devlan mud to be bitter little swines also.

Archived