True Scale Ultramarines WIP Honour Guard

Dechande

My first pics on the forum. Here are two true scale marines for my Honour Guard unit. Both need finishing off, the champion need a backpack.

I think the standard bearer's neck is a bit long so I will probably have him looking up toward the banner. I'll bulk the body out also and post some more pics.

On these two I have used Procreate (the grey bits) and 'brown stuff' (I forget its proper name). I have another two of these, one painted and one started that I'll get some pics up of in the next few days.

Any comments appreciated:

gallery_62466_7597_14147.jpg

gallery_62466_7597_543.jpg

gallery_62466_7597_9670.jpg

gallery_62466_7597_41919.jpg

Wow those look really good,the standard bearers' torso(the squishy part not the PA part) and the neck is to long it might be the angle though.

You're right, I'm going to shorten the neck and have him look up ant the banner. I'll cover the torso in putty, bringing the bottom of it down lower and making it larger, that should sort the proportions.

The camera angle doesn't help, I find it difficult at times to take pics of minis without making them look distorted from reality.

Oh my freakin' lord! That champion is just so sexy, I want one!!!!!!! sadly my modelling skills are no where near your level of work. awesome job. I agree that both the torso and neck on the standard bearer are to long, makes the model look stretched out and very ....scrawny? Amazing modelling just alittle off with the proportions, though you seem to have a plan to remedy the issue.

I cant wait to see them all painted up.

I agree more or less with the comments regarding the standard bearer. BUT...you have him in an extreme position, which I think justifies the length of the soft parts of the armor. Marines as we know them are always hunched over a bit, with the chins to their chests. I think the soft parts of the armor would stretch almost as much as you've shown when forced into positions as dynamic as you've created. So, I don't overdo the corrections, in my opinion they are very near perfect.

-CH

I agree more or less with the comments regarding the standard bearer. BUT...you have him in an extreme position, which I think justifies the length of the soft parts of the armor. Marines as we know them are always hunched over a bit, with the chins to their chests. I think the soft parts of the armor would stretch almost as much as you've shown when forced into positions as dynamic as you've created. So, I don't overdo the corrections, in my opinion they are very near perfect.

-CH

I agree with this. Personally, I don't think you should change anything on either of these models

That is some sweet "GS" work. The brown stuff is commonly referred to as, well, brown stuff. It is manufactured by Kneadatite, the same people who produce greenstuff, and is notable for its ability to hold sharp edges, and be sanded/carved after curing, two things that GS isn't as good at.

Considering your abilities, and the dynamic nature of the pose you are attempting to accomplish, I would suggest tackling the standard bearer anew. Your sculpting skills are more than up to the task, and you can achieve better proportions, rather than trying to fix the issues as they stand.

-Adam

Lovely Work !!

I have to disagree with the majority on the Chest - Waist proportions of the Standard Bearer. When I first saw the picture, I thought, "The Standard Bearer's chest plate is too small - it makes the waist section of the torso appear too long" Your solution, I believe, is the correct one :whistling:

Superior sculpting skills, dynamic poses, whats not to like? Let us see your progress.

Sweet Emperor!! You sculpting is astounding!! What do you use? What is this 'brown stuff'? (apart from what appeared in my pants when I first saw them both!)

Thanks, as mentioned above, the 'brown stuff' is called Kneadatite (sp?), although to be honest, I don't really like using it. These models are the first time I used it, I've gone back to using Pro-create for everything, you can mix it harder (more white than black) for edges anyway.

I've changed the topic title so I can keep adding figures here rather than starting a new thread every time. Here's some more pics for you:

This one is almost in the same pose as the first true scale conversion I saw a while back online somewhere. I can't remember where it was and I didn't save a pic, so I'm unable to credit the original. This one is actually painted, I'll make a 'painted' thread for my WIP Ultramarine army.

gallery_62466_7615_738764.jpg

gallery_62466_7615_157023.jpg

gallery_62466_7615_986650.jpg

gallery_62466_7615_1044728.jpg

gallery_62466_7615_619023.jpg

gallery_62466_7615_453533.jpg

Ok, thanks for the comments, here's what I've done. I have finished the champion, he only needed something added to his blank shoulder pad.

The standard bearer has had his chest plate made larger and thicker, added the chest eagle, shortened the neck and altered the head angle to compensate. He was bugging me before but I am happy with him now. What do you guys think? I just need to add some details to him now, insignia etc.

gallery_62466_7597_216728.jpg

gallery_62466_7597_7771.jpg

On a side note if anyone's interested, this is the first time I have worked with dried Kneadatite (Brown stuff), it dries very hard, and is very difficult to slice like green and procreate. It sticks very well but it is also very brittle. The bits I tried to remove were just broken off in the end. With green stuff and procreate you can carefully peel off layers of detail and reapply them, this seems impossible with brown stuff.

Archived