Questions on modelling RW Speeders

The Shadow Guard

Given the high number of people who painted RW models I have a qestion for those who model and those who play with RW land speeders.

1. Do you fix/paste the land speeders to its flying base as a routine? Reason I ask is that having made 17 speeders for the ETL 2012 and with five more to come I find it quite tedious to move the speeders around as I always have the "off the base-on the base" issue. Downside of pasting them to me is the increased dfficulty in packing and transpoting although personally it's not an issue. Just wonderd what everyone else does?

SG

I actually went with this solution - http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2010/03/bl...nd-speeder.html Easy packing and you can hold the thing upside down and the magnets hold.

That is so clever... :P

Indeed, saved that to evernote!

Thanks EPK!

Yeah, gluing speeders is baaad! The top of the spindle for the flying base is easy to break off as I found out when I last moved house. Then you are left with trying to find a part that is not sold separately; however AoBR came with 3 flyers, and 3 bases, but 4 spindles!

Don't all flyers come with two spindles? one short one long?

SG

I chuck the spindle thing away, they fail so often it's redonkulous.

Just drill a 3mm hole in the speeders and just poke them onto the pole. Super easy, no breakage issues, just be careful when picking them up.

An as a bonus of this technique they can get cover behind Landraiders due to being a tad lower. My first one broke btw, I didn't start out trying to 'cheat' :woot: With the two heights of poles supplied it isn't really an issue anyway. (I hope teh interwebz agrees, I don't need berating :woot: )

s

Yeah, gluing speeders is baaad! The top of the spindle for the flying base is easy to break off as I found out when I last moved house. Then you are left with trying to find a part that is not sold separately; however AoBR came with 3 flyers, and 3 bases, but 4 spindles!

Don't all flyers come with two spindles? one short one long?

SG

Hey that's a good point seems I forgot! oops!

Another method is to dump the whole plastic pole and use a piece of metal coathanger, bend one end over with plyers and clamp with vice, this can be fitted into the base, and just enlarge the hole in the bottom of the speeder, much stronger than the plastic, and if you drill deeper into the body of the speeder, very secure.

Which ever method you use, NEVER glue base to speeder and you can flip it over and store it with the speeder.

Hope it helps, dark jobo.

Archived