Bastion Crusade WIP

I had this in the BT subforum for a while but a friend pointed out it made more sense for it to go here.

With 6th ed out and more importantly my younger brother pushing me to get back into the hobby I figured it was time to break out all the old minis. My second stint in school as well as my fulltime employment will limit my throughput but hopefully I can update pretty regularly.

I never really had a Templar force and was mostly proxy's from my original vanilla marines but this time around I'm gonna do it right with each mini getting the attention they deserve. I've been collecting odd bits for a Templar force since 4th ed but never really put it all together so I will basically be starting from scratch while trying to recycle as many of my old models as I can.

Without further ado here's the beginning of the project and a quick WIP on some neophytes and my chaplain. probably going to get the chappy a new backpack and I need to give him a crozius somewhere. I think I also want to give him a 'meaner' looking power fist but cant decide. I also have about 14 Neo's sitting on my desk in various states of assembly, I made a post a while back and got some good C&C that I took to heart so I'm working through that but the other day on the forum someone posted about apprentice chaplians and I thought that idea was way too cool to pass up. So I whipped up a couple chaplain in training Neo's that will be in the squad the Chappy himself has joined. I really wanted to capture the squire feel that I think the Neophyte-Initiate relationship has.

This is all VERY WIP but I would love to hear what you all think.

Chappy

gallery_55722_7542_632494.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_681900.jpg

Chappy Neo 1

gallery_55722_7542_710734.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_2382.jpg

Chappy Neo 2 (one of my favorites)

gallery_55722_7542_223797.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_511593.jpg

Its hard to tell but that's a maul I built strapped to his back, Ill try and get better pics later.

Ok a little bit of work done and some primer on the Chaplain who now is SS and PF. added some chain to the PF and re-positioned the shield arm. generally tried to clean him up a little as-well. Alo a group shot with his chaplain-in-training Neos

gallery_55722_7542_2746231.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_827806.jpg

A few more WIP Neophyte conversions as-well

gallery_55722_7542_857113.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_2439581.jpg

And last but not least WIP EC. still trying to figure out what to do with his right arm? maybe holding a censure or something else suitably Templar-ish

gallery_55722_7542_4218218.jpg

As always I welcome any and all C&C

I've already decided to make the entire army feel more Medieval than ye standard BT but for the longest time I've been stuck on Coat of Arms and general lore/mythology. Bounced around with a few themes; Kraken, Dragon, Lion. All of these felt too overused and beat to death (insert hipster jokes here).

After trolling around the internet and various bits sites it struck me that next to no one is doing anything with Bears or Ursa themed? I dug a little deeper and still couldn't find almost anything. Bears are in a few existing Coat of Arms and fit nicely into the Knight theme so I'm gonna mock up a few test models but I'm pretty sure I wanna add an Ursine theme to my crusade.

I also need to at some point before painting come up with my crusade badge and maybe think of renaming the crusade and characters.

All in all I hope to end up with a Slavic/German/Teutonic/Knight/Bear thing haha. Some inspirational material I've collected

gallery_55722_7542_35008.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_21921.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_177830.jpg

As always I'd love to hear any and all C&C

Well Teutonic Knights have Black Templars written all over them:

http://www.ageofempires.co.nz/images/aoe2/units/eliteteutonicknight.jpg

AOE II FTW!

The whole bear theme seems a bit norse/SW-ish to me but the models so far look fantastic.

Got super inspired today (read: the Nationals were on a rain delay) and finished off the EC ;) Decided to give him a cestus for when hes not using the Black Sword. Kinda envisioned him breaking the chain when he finds a worthy opponent for it, otherwise he's just bad :cuss enough to use his hands and feet.

gallery_55722_7542_1087708.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_377305.jpg

Wow! Those are some seriously fantastic conversions! The black sword is wicked. And I really like the use of the bretonnians for henchmen. Very cool. I will be sure to keep an eye on this thread. ;)

Thanks man :)

Now onto new things!

1.) For $1.05 for like 2 feet I found some new chain I think might be better suited for 28mm scale. Thoughts?

2.) Second pic is because I have a beard/wanted it on my models and always wondered why only SW got to have bearded marines, if anyone else were suited for it it would be us, especially with my northern knights bear theme so I wanted to see how it would look. Feedback here appreciated.

3.) Third pic, sticking with my Medieval theme I think these heads combined with GK boddies for the armored neck/coif thinger could work. This iss what I want your opinions on the most! Gave 2 views front and top so you could get a better feel for the size and positioning

4.) WIP maul, tired of all BP and CC marines using chain-swords but I didn't wanna confuse with TH I think this one works.

gallery_55722_7542_819635.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_1064311.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_1372009.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_23089.jpg

Also I think its offically time to buy a box of Warriors of Chaos. don't burn me ;)

gallery_55722_7542_1601568.jpg

So to recap in order of importance

1.) Chain size, Is this better?

2.) Medieval heads, Is this too far too still remain BT/Space Marine

2.) Beards, Do these look too Space Wolfy?

3.) Maul, Does this look terrible?

1.) Chain size, Is this better? smallest works for me, not really a fan of the chain over the back pack

2.) Medieval heads, Is this too far too still remain BT/Space Marine nope

2.) Beards, Do these look too Space Wolfy? nope

3.) Maul, Does this look terrible? personally i like the short handle skull cracker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

end of line.

Well got my first 5 crusaders converted and I go to prime them and the can basically explodes on me, you'll see what I mean in a sec. Just ignore the 'dusted' look.

As for the models I'm a big fan of hand axes/mauls and the like so that's what this first guy got, also if your not wearing a helmet it should be on your belt in my mind so thats this guy

Second guy is just a longtime project I've had lying around and I decided he deserved to be a Templar but he didn't have a CC wep so slapped on the sword. Also I think this bearded head fits pretty perfectly without looking too SW. *note this guy is mostly from about 2 years ago and I thought it would be cool to use necron bits for bionics. Ill probably end up keeping his right arm and leg for sentimental value*

As for the last marine I think the Medieval head fits nicely here as well

gallery_55722_7542_1130133.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_777921.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_1895831.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_1362923.jpg

Final note: broke down and bought a box of warriors of chaos so expect to see some cloaked Templar and Gothic marines in the near future

Archived