My Ultramarine & DA Force WIP (4th March '13 new pics added)

Dechande

Hi, I've made a thread for my ongoing conversions for my Ultramarine force, here I'll post pics of the models I've painted so far and add more pics as I finish them. Some of these models still need their bases finishing off. I'm moving house next month so most of my painting gear is packed up and I'm mostly sculpting and converting at the moment.

This army is pretty much a recreation of the army I always imagined when I was a kid after spending hours pouring over the original codex Ultramarines. I've been into the hobby long enough I can now do the army, pretty much as I envisioned it all those years ago. That's the main reason for the clean, bright (oldschool) colour scheme, although I went with the 3rd company and black bolters. I painted the forst one with a red bolter and it way way too much 'my first space marine' lol. Excuse my dodgy camera work, these were done with an iPhone, my painting lamp and a piece of A3. Comments welcome, I hope you like them:

I did not enjoy doing the bright red helmets (so many coats...)
gallery_62466_7616_67682.jpg

Most of a tactical squad.
gallery_62466_7616_971.jpg

All the tactical markings and 'U's' are painted on, I do each 'U' a little differently, I like the idea that they are handpainted in 'reality' and go through various subtle translations from marine to marine.
gallery_62466_7616_91197.jpg

A couple of veterans and Terminator, converted from the new Space Hulk set, I have 4 more converted that I want to paint soon ready for a squad.
gallery_62466_7616_50073.jpg

gallery_62466_7616_111285.jpg

gallery_62466_7616_71422.jpg

My bike squad, I added longer forks and a larger back wheel for these. I have a couple more of these to do yet. Painting on the 'Fast Attack' four arrow badge was a lot harder than I'd hoped. It's like trying to paint an optical illusion, a square shape on a curved surface that tapers but yet still has to line up...
gallery_62466_7616_22223.jpg

gallery_62466_7616_29165.jpg

gallery_62466_7616_62417.jpg

gallery_62466_7616_95014.jpg

My first true scale marine painted up, can't wait to do the others.
gallery_62466_7616_147213.jpg

gallery_62466_7616_68286.jpg

Next to a regular marine, just realised it's the same one in the unpainted photo?!
gallery_62466_7616_25445.jpg

Non-metallic in purple, I fancied something different.
gallery_62466_7616_56516.jpg

The first vehicle done, I normally paint WWII tanks, so I did this the same way. Hand painted badges. I thought doing it as clean as the infantry would just look odd, also, doing it like this only took 2 hours.
gallery_62466_7616_657135.jpg

gallery_62466_7616_110110.jpg

gallery_62466_7616_354706.jpg

Ok, that's the start, just hope I can keep my momentum going without getting distracted msn-wink.gif

Nice Nice Nice

Quality painting Brother! The regular sized marines were a treat but seeing that true scale guy makes me start to drool.

Must be one of the best TS marines I have seen.

So whats the script, do you plan on doing the whole army true scale or regular? Either would be worth seeing in my book

Top Drawer Lad

Nice Nice Nice

Quality painting Brother! The regular sized marines were a treat but seeing that true scale guy makes me start to drool.

Must be one of the best TS marines I have seen.

So whats the script, do you plan on doing the whole army true scale or regular? Either would be worth seeing in my book

Top Drawer Lad

Thanks. It started off normal, then the true scale one's crept in. I'm going to have a true scale command (Captain and Marneus Calgar), honour guard and a couple of veterans. I think the bulk of tactical, devastator and assault marines will be normal size.

I am contemplating a small force of Space Wolves, I really want to do them all as true scale, viking marines. When I start them, the command will be sculpted from scratch.

Great work!

Nice highlighting and I love the digital display on the biker sergeant's screen. Outstanding!

The Razor' is nicely weathered too. How do you do the black staining that runs down from some protrusions (like under the front slits and under the 'teeth' of the right door)? It looks great.

Great work!

Nice highlighting and I love the digital display on the biker sergeant's screen. Outstanding!

The Razor' is nicely weathered too. How do you do the black staining that runs down from some protrusions (like under the front slits and under the 'teeth' of the right door)? It looks great.

Thank you. For the black 'staining' I use a small drybrush and chaos black (or whatever overly complicated new name it has lol), make sure there is next to no paint on the brush, start at the source and brush in straight lines away from the source. Very simple, I discovered it by accident when I did some WWII stuff, now I use it all the time. Obviously, the lighter the base colour the less paint you'll want on the drybrush.

This is really excellent work!

How do you do your blue? I really like how it turned out.

Cheers,

Thanks, I start with a black undercoat, apply Ultramarines blue (no idea what it is called now) leaving the black in all the recesses. I do 4 high lights, ultramarine blue and skull white. First one is about 4:1 (blue:white), second about 3:1, third is about 1:1 (as the high lights get smaller, you can increase the white without struggling to blend in the colours). The last high light is very small, sometimes just dots and is roughly 1:2 (blue:white). I only high light the top edges as well, it saves time and I like the look.

Very nice painting ;) My only criticism is for the true-scale model: the legs look too thick for the torso, which is too thin as it doesn't seem to have been bulked out. Same for the shoulder pads, they look too large for the model. Maybe by bulking out the chest you balance it all out?

Cheers,

Ludovic

Absolute amazing paintjob ! I hate to say it, but I dont like the bikes.

I would have liked to see the rhino painted in this clean style as well, none the less it is brilliantly painted of course.

Great stuff, keep it up !

Cheers

Archived