My Ultramarine & DA Force WIP (4th March '13 new pics added)

Dechande

;) Simply stunning. Your subtle highlights are just incredible. So crisp and clean!

My only critique is maybe add some weathering. Not a lot, but just enough so they look like they have actually been in the field.

I'm so jealous!

That's a really nice looking army so far, though I feel the red should be a bit brighter to go with the blue. On that note, how are you painting the blue, it's amazing.

Khrangar

That's a really nice looking army so far, though I feel the red should be a bit brighter to go with the blue. On that note, how are you painting the blue, it's amazing.

Khrangar

Thanks, I start with a black undercoat, apply Ultramarines blue (no idea what it is called now) leaving the black in all the recesses. I do 4 high lights, ultramarine blue and skull white. First one is about 4:1 (blue:white), second about 3:1, third is about 1:1 (as the high lights get smaller, you can increase the white without struggling to blend in the colours). The last high light is very small, sometimes just dots and is roughly 1:2 (blue:white). I only high light the top edges as well, it saves time and I like the look.

The red on the shoulders and sergeants helmets' is 'blood red', it is quite bright, perhaps it doesn't look as bright in the pics as it does in reality.

• 6 months later...

I've been away for a while, mostly because of moving house, unfortunately I was in hospital too.

Anyway, I have painted a couple more models to add to this thread, hope you like them.

A dreadnought from the AoBR set, 'Vitor':

gallery_62466_7616_77799.jpg

gallery_62466_7616_197926.jpg

gallery_62466_7616_191235.jpg

Here is a true scale conversion I have had for a while, it was nice to finally get him painted:

gallery_62466_7616_24238.jpg

gallery_62466_7616_45749.jpg

gallery_62466_7616_76758.jpg

I picked up the Dark Vengeance set when it came out, I have painted 2 of the marines so far. The colours were experimental but I like the way they came out, so I'll stick with it and get these done alongside my Ultras when I'm feeling bored of doing blue! I find the green more forgiving than the blue and quicker to do.

gallery_62466_7616_145417.jpg

gallery_62466_7616_147491.jpg

gallery_62466_7616_98565.jpg

Your models are incredible Dechande.  I'm a little intimidated to start trying to paint my marines.  Would you mind showing us a quick run down of how you painted those dark angels??  It's been about 8 years since I last painted a model!!

I'm jealous :) Cartoony style for the win! Simple and nice looking, but I know how hard it is to achieve such crispness of details, so my respect for you, Sir.

Dreadnought is outstanding! And what a nice touch with "124" on the bike screen :)

Thanks for the kind comments.

Your models are incredible Dechande.  I'm a little intimidated to start trying to paint my marines.  Would you mind showing us a quick run down of how you painted those dark angels??  It's been about 8 years since I last painted a model!!

Don't be intimidated, not painting won't make you better ;) 8 years is a while but you'll be fine, as long as you enjoy it it'll be worthwhile.

I started with the new Caliban green, then highlighted with a 'Coat d'Arms' paint called 'Army Green', I did two more highlights by adding white to the Army Green. A final highlight was done with a lot of white, just on corners and edges.

The bone stuff is Graveyard Earth, then thinned Kommando Khaki (this will blend straight on without mixing, in two coats), highlight with bleached bone, then bleached bone and white.

The red, I think, is Mephiston Red first (I'm at work right now), then Devlan Mud thinned slightly to shade. Highlight with Blood Red then add Blazing Orange, then white (so that the highlight tends to a 'peachy' colour rather than pink). Hope that helps.

These are sickeningly awesome. I sort of hate you but at the same time love your work! ha ha. These are seriously some of the best minis I have seen in a while, kudos to you Sir!

I've been involved with 40K for the last 17 years or so. 

These are without doubt some of the best Ultramarines I've ever seen in that time, and some of the finest Dark Angels also. And trust me, I've seen a lot of Dark Angels. 

Simply stunning. 

I'd be grateful for any WIP shots you have of the paint jobs, especially the Dark Angels. 

Cheers, 

WW

Simply stunning and inspiring work. Working on stripping mine as i look at peoples skills such as yours and think... my emperor these are awful why did i paint you so?

Keep up the work so i can learn from it :)

As you can see by all the comments, brother, we're impressed by your painting. I'm no different - the clean, smooth work and the understated highlights really gel well. Faultless. :tu:

Wow. Normally I prefer the more "realistic" style of painting with battle damage and weathering etc but your colours are just so fantastic I am blown away. I would love to see you paint a marine from each of the origional loyalist legions and show them together as it would be epic. Threads like this are what the B+C were made for.

I feel rude saying this but do you intend to paint some writing onto the DA's bolter and leg scrolls? Just makes the mini feel a tiny bit unfinished.

Incredible work you've achieved there. Your minis remind me McVey ones and the good old days of 2nd ed. I don't know how you achieve such a smooth look on the marines, but keep going, I want to see an army like that (be it Ultras or DA :))

I've been involved with 40K for the last 17 years or so.

These are without doubt some of the best Ultramarines I've ever seen in that time, and some of the finest Dark Angels also. And trust me, I've seen a lot of Dark Angels.

Simply stunning.

I'd be grateful for any WIP shots you have of the paint jobs, especially the Dark Angels.

Cheers,

WW

Thanks. I don't have any WIP pics of the DA. I don't take pics until models are finished. As long as I remember to, I'll snap some progress pics of the next one I paint.

Wow. Normally I prefer the more "realistic" style of painting with battle damage and weathering etc but your colours are just so fantastic I am blown away. I would love to see you paint a marine from each of the origional loyalist legions and show them together as it would be epic. Threads like this are what the B+C were made for.

I feel rude saying this but do you intend to paint some writing onto the DA's bolter and leg scrolls? Just makes the mini feel a tiny bit unfinished.

Thank you. No need to feel rude :) I'm not going to add anything to the bone scroll parts, personally I don't like adding 'wiggly line script', although I do know what you mean.

I like the idea of having one marine from each original chapter, would make for an interesting looking squad in game. I'll keep it in mind.

These are outstanding minis Dechande - realy clean and well defined painting! What's the grand plan? Whatever it is keep it up! thumbsup.gif

Thanks. Not really much of a plan, just trying to find time to paint and stay motivated between sculpting and life in general. As I get more space marines done, I'll add them here. I hope to have a painted space marine army by the end of the year. I'll have Ultras as the bulk with an allied force of DA, if just an excuse to get a Nephilim fighter!

Archived