Vindicator Tactica (6th Edition)

rpnightsend

He was referring to flat out movement. Basically, if you are in a situation you can't fire the gun or need to move, you can move and extra 6" in the shooting phase.

Oh no i knew what he meant, I was saying thats an interesting option I hadn't thought of yet.

All this advice, combined with a Siege Assault Vanguard army list (Vindicator squadrons and 4 heavy support slots means up to 12 Vindicators - theoretically 24 at 2000+ points!!) makes for some scary tank...

Is this for Apocalypse only?

No, its a list from IA10 Badab pt.1 - reason enough initself to own a copy IMO :)

He was referring to flat out movement. Basically, if you are in a situation you can't fire the gun or need to move, you can move and extra 6" in the shooting phase.

Besides the Blood Angels moving faster than normal, is there a need for Vindicators moving flat out? I suppose if they were contesting an objective...

Besides the Blood Angels moving faster than normal, is there a need for Vindicators moving flat out? I suppose if they were contesting an objective...

Agreed. I feel like there aren't many times there's something you could hit within a 30" threat bubble.

You'd be surprised. Besides getting into a better firing position, you can sometimes use the Vindiator to block line of sight last turn to protect some scoring models, or in the right mission to claim an objective.

You'd be surprised. Besides getting into a better firing position, you can sometimes use the Vindiator to block line of sight last turn to protect some scoring models, or in the right mission to claim an objective.

You are correct. Excellent point. I already mentioned the 2nd in the tactica but I will add the 1st one.

Yeah it's one of those "out of the box" things in 40K that are hard to quantify in list building and planning, but can win games if done correctly.

I took on a Daemons player for the first time years ago on a 4x4 board, when they were just released and I knew NOTHING about them. He was the local power-gamer and had steam rollered every player he'd played that month (around 5 or so). Despite the odds stacked against me, and the mission being against me also I managed to pull out a draw and I did this in part by using Rhinos to bottleneck his attack. This was incredibly useful.

Ok I wouldn't always reccommend that with a Vindicator, but such out of the box thinking does have it's advantages and serves as a good example. ^_^

Yeah it's one of those "out of the box" things in 40K that are hard to quantify in list building and planning, but can win games if done correctly.

I took on a Daemons player for the first time years ago on a 4x4 board, when they were just released and I knew NOTHING about them. He was the local power-gamer and had steam rollered every player he'd played that month (around 5 or so). Despite the odds stacked against me, and the mission being against me also I managed to pull out a draw and I did this in part by using Rhinos to bottleneck his attack. This was incredibly useful.

Ok I wouldn't always reccommend that with a Vindicator, but such out of the box thinking does have it's advantages and serves as a good example. ^_^

Well I did include vehicles screening and such, which a surprisingly large amount of people ignore.

Another rarely seen tactic is tank shocking into tight formation to be flamer'd.

I also use ramming to box opponent's vehicles in. I once used an armless vindicator and 2 rhinos to block the exits for a squad of my opponent's sanguinary guard and then blew up his rhino. One managed to get out.

I know common consensus is to take two (or three) Vindi's if you expect them to be useful but I was often finding myself getting outranged in fire fights and as such slowly phased them out of my lists. A few months ago though I dropped a bare bones Vindi into my list because I had the points spare and tried using it a bit differently. I know the OP touched upon reserving them as a decent tactic and this is exactly what I've been doing. I've been finding that the Vindicator is infinitely more useful in turns 3/4 and onward than it is in the first two turns, especially if you can spend the time before it gets on the board knocking out a few of your opponents anti-tank options and getting his units out of their transports. This rings even more true if you're running a gunline marine army like mine where most of the time the emphasis is on your opponent to go on the attack rather than you and thus bringing more units into your 30" threat bubble. With the change to the reserves rules in 6th they're more likely to come on a bit earlier but even if it does come on turn 2 you can still move it on where its going to do maximum damage/stay out of trouble until the later turns.

TL;DR version: 1 reserved vindicator is at least equally as useful as 2 vindicators starting on the table IMO.

TL;DR version: 1 reserved vindicator is at least equally as useful as 2 vindicators starting on the table IMO.

I'd say that depends on what you use them for. In a vehicle-heavy list I'd rather have them on the table giving my opponent more of a headache when he tries to decide what to shoot at.

In your example, it seems like doing that is an excellent choice.

Played a recent Space Wolves/Death-wing alliance (when they aren't hurting each other) and there were a lot of Terminators (Wolf Guard and Deathwing). Their plan was to Deep Strike via Ravenwing and the Wolves running in their Land Raider but when they saw the Vindicators (we deployed first), they changed their mind to deploy out but had trouble denting AV13 with missiles (Not many were packing melta or lascannons bar the LR - that got sternguard alpha striked - and the bikes - which my bikes tied up).

So, in regards to deployment, it might be an idea to add something about deterring deep striking Terminators (esp. in 6e) because I barely moved more than 12" with 2 Vindicators and I took out 6 Death Wing Terminators, a Long Fang ML squad, placed a wound on Arjack, Logan Grimor and 2 Space Wolf terminators. (I had one Vindicator left at the end of the game but one got sadly wrecked in the last turn)

Well, I suppose I'll throw in my 2 cents. As mentioned previously the vindi has a lot of synergy with LRC, and specifically IMO deathstar units. When I play templars @ 2500 I bring a pair of 5x assault terminators+ Chaplains in LRC and 2 vindis. Between these 4 the opponent has real problems. The Assault terminators and LRC are absolute destroyers if they get to your lines, but those S10 AP2 pie plates are just as terrifying . It basically forces your opponent to pick the lesser of two evils, 1. let the Assault terminators get off the charge into your lines, or 2. let the vindis drop shots on your army.

it can struggle against true AT gunline (Guard, Tau), however drop podded troops and other highly mobile forces can help to counter their advantage while your main threats close.

Archived