GumbaFish's dark angels

GumbaFish

Hey all, I've whipped up 3 tactical marines so far as a test color scheme. The pictures came out a bit dark, its hard to photograph dark green, but I'll try and sort that out once I get some more marines painted. Anyways as a last minute whim I decided to add 5th company markings for no reason other than I thought it would jazz up rather dark models a bit more. I have a terminator almost done as well, but I am building up the nerve to do the freehand deathwing symbol!

Hope you enjoy, any feedback or comments welcome. I'm not aiming for not laboring away on each miniature but still a little more effort than minimum tabletop standard so I can actually finish some units.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/darkangels.png

Thanks for the warm reception! Captain Semper I was kind of going back and forth about the boxed set, its the reason I started working on these actually, but now that pictures have been leaked I think I am definately going to get my hands on one as I really dig the models.

What can I say I am a sucker for nostalgia, I just couldn't think of painting their bolters anything than red.

On a side note about the DA transfers is it just me or are they they hardest ones to work with? I've done a lot of transfers in my day, I use micro sol and micro set, I add in relief cuts to help them lay flat and I still find the DA symbol to be an utter nightmare to deal with. Any advice, maybe there are some better places to make cuts in the decal or the forgeworld ones are better. I don't mind painting but I dread putting these on decals and that is delaying my progress more than anything.

• 2 weeks later...
Hope you enjoy, any feedback or comments welcome. I'm not aiming for not laboring away on each miniature but still a little more effort than minimum tabletop standard so I can actually finish some units.

Great work :) Can you please tell me how did you exactly paint eagle chest plates? I find it as most difficult part of SM painting..

I love the armour colour scheme - I only do not like the red casings. IMO black boltguns are better. I personally think that the black further deepens the dark appearence of the sons of the lion.

Anyway it is only my opinion ;) Can't wait to see more !

Thanks guys! Bevulf I know what you mean, normally I side on realism and would opt for a completely black bolter with no metallics even but for some reason nostalgia has a hold on me with the red bolters. Dark angels were the first 40k miniatures I painted 15 or so years ago and I think it just stuck with me for some reason.

p.s. Bevulf your thread was my inspiration to paint these again, and I also stole my basing scheme from you so I can't take the credit ;)

As far as the chest eagle I basecoated it with P3 bootstrap leather, then highlighted with P3 Jack bone and RMS creamy ivory. The technique is to first apply my basecoat all over the eagle. The first highlight gets all of the ridges of the wings if that makes sense, leaving the basecoat in the recesses. The second highlight just goes on the tips of the ridges of the wings. I'm not sure that explains it well, its not very time consuming but does take a bit of a steady hand I guess. and I find its easier to do with certain colors than others (especially if they are light and you can just wash them with something afterwards to darken the recesses).

So I braved my first freehand and it still needs a little touching up but here is my first deathwing terminator. Now I know he is weathered and my tactical marines are pristine but the bone just looked too boring on its own to me. So now I have to decide, leave my tacticals sqeaky clean, weather them, or try again painting a clean terminator. I think I might be ok having the terminators more battered, especially since they are a CC unit but not sure if they will look odd with the other lads. Thoughts/opinions?

I really like that I can paint deathwing/ravenwing/tacticals different schemes, it makes space marines more interesting!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/deathwing2.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/deathwing3.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/deathwing.png

Thanks, this one I did spend quite a bit of time on I think. I am going to try and spend more time on ravenwing/deathwing models as there are only a few to paint and I can take a break bulk painting and lavish some attention on a single figure. I got shipping notification for the new starter set today so once that hits my doorstep expect some updates to start rolling in faster.

Wow I love the Green on the Tactical squad, did you darken the DA green from GW, or just build up the highlights to make it look darker? Or is it a different color all together? Very nice paint job id love to try it out on some of my guys.

Dogbreath99 hopefully I don't disappoint but maybe the photos made them look darker because the scheme is actually based on caliban green.

-Basecoat caliban green

-Highlight warpstone glow

-Edge highlight Vallejo game color (VGC) goblin green

-I think I picked out the highest corners with some VGC sick green

-First shade I used coelia greenshade

-Second shade more in the recesses nuln oil

-Then I lined the joints with black ink

Thats a really brief explanation but it hits all the main points, maybe the combination of shading/highlights makes it look darker than some of the other miniatures I have seen painted with caliban green.

I agree the hammer is kind of boring, I tried painting it twice and am unsatisfied with both attempts. Any suggestions? Think I should try a different color, just shade/highlight differently, add in glowy effects? I am open for suggestions because my attempts have both come up lacking.

Thanks! Im going to try it out and see how I do with it thanks for taking the time to spell it out for me. I was hearing that Caliban Green and the old Dark Angels green didn't look alike, from your pics it looks very similar I haven't tried Caliban green yet so ill see how it looks with the rest of my marines.

No problem, post pics of how it goes! If it helps I undercoated them with krylon ultra flat camouflage olive, after seeing some painters like DV8 using these sprays I thought I would give it a go as green has always been a difficult color for me. The caliban green airbrushed very nicely over that color, though caliban green covers MUCH better than DA green (at least my very old white flip top pot of it anyways).

Great looking test subjects Gumbafish! what's your chipping/weathering technique? for some reason i can never get it to look as good :)

And i totally agree on the bolters :confused: red all the way!

Archived