Horus Aximand's Mighty Log of WIP

Hey everybody!

I've been painting for close to a decade now, and I've had various success with various armies and projects. I figured to was time to stick some of my work on here to see what the community at a large thought of it.

Recently a friend of mine suggested I work out my monetary problems by flogging some of my old stuff (see my sig) and also by selling fully painted models on eBay. So, ever the mercenary, I decided to take him up on that idea and bought a squad of Sanguinary Guard with the goal of converting them to be an Honour Guard squad.

I'm going to start off this log with the Honour Guard. They're going to be painted up as Angels Encarmine (with a white company champion to tie in to the Sanguinary Guard and Death Company of the chapter) and once they are finished will be up for sale.

So without further adieu, I present to you the Winged Heroes:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r82/SpaceDug2005/HonourGuardUndercoat.jpg

I've kept the wings off for ease of painting, and also because I'm not sure whether to do them white or black.

So the first update to this log will be the first attempt at the red for the squad:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r82/SpaceDug2005/RedWIP.jpg

I'm looking for all the comments and criticism you can come up with. I would love for this project to help improve my skill with some of the more basic techniques, as well as serve as practice towards power weapon effects. So please, if you want to be harsh, do so. I'm a big boy, I can take it!

~Aximand

EDIT: Blecht! That close up is horrid. If the weather is nice again tomorrow I'll try and get another shot... :shifty:

Update time!

The bulk of one Honour Guard is finished as a test for the colour scheme, and the armour on the other four is done. The wings are sprayed white separately and I'm working out how to paint them.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r82/SpaceDug2005/100_4271.jpg

Your pic is too small for me to dole out harsher criticisms; from what I can see, it's looking pretty good!

If you're into freehand, one thing I like to do for power weapons is paint the blade as steel, with etchings along the blade, and then paint an OSL effect on the little node at the end of the pipe running up the side of the blade.

Just an idea for pushing your skills. <_<

I'm not going to lie. When I saw you'd commented on my log, I was rather chuffed with myself. I'm a massive fan of your work ;)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r82/SpaceDug2005/HG1WIP1.jpg

Hopefully this will serve as a better photo. It's a close up on the near-complete Honour Guard. I'm wanting to do the blood drops like red gems. I'll definitely have a go at your suggestion for the blades, and see which I prefer ;)

It really is; I like the red.

@ Little Horus: Thanks! I just like to pop in when something grabs my eye, just like everyone else. :lol:

I like the purple wax on the seals, but I've never really been a fan of the color for the gems. On the other hand, unless you push for a pinker tone of red, they will just blend into the red of the armor. An amber might look good for the gems. What's your plan for the eye lenses?

I would also pick some higher points of the black and give them a touch of your highlight with a bit more white added. You could also mix in a bit of VMC iraqi sand instead of the white, for a bit warmer of a highlight. FWIW (and I know black is a hard color to paint) I'm a little let down with the black in comparison to the rest of the model, but your red is solid, the metallics are striking in the right way, and your brushwork looks good. All in all, they'll look great when you finish, and with the plasma in the unit, some good OSL ought to drive them over the top.

Iacton Qruze: Thanks for the kind words! I agree that the black is rather lack-luster. I usually worked it up through Shadow Grey to get a cold, blueish black but I thought a more neutral colour would work here and I don't think I executed it well. With regards to the gems, I was looking at the Eavy Metal Space Hulk Terminators and they have red gems that didn't clash vibrantly with the armour, which was something I was wanting to replicate, although amber does sound quite promising. For the eyes I want them to be the focal point of the model, so I was thinking a bright, vivid green to stand out against the rest of the model.

Archived