DA expansion?

Sviar

I think it is.

As soon as the Starter sets hits the shelfs we are going to get new battle brothers. This would also be a great way of completing the ETL VOWs for those who did not make it within the time limit. And then there are the new players who became a member in the middle of the ETL. As a DA player can one really get enough of little green marines, not counting your significant others view of that :P

Do I need to report myself to the interrogator at once :rolleyes: , or do you think I make a valid point?

I'm sorry... wha't the point of the post?

No need to be, it means that I did not explain my piont good enough. A expansion is like the LPC or the ETL in many ways except it is only for DA. Many subforum have had this like the BT or SW for example. The BT have finished thier VIIIs crusade(expansion, and thier latest banner for that is awesome). It works like many painting challenges you WOV a unit and and you get lets say two months to complete it. This expansion also servs like a motivation for the DA players to complete their VOW in time, and as a reward you usually get a cool looking banner and for those who did not complete it you get a different one. For this to be started a DA moderati must of course OK it first. I hope this explenation is good enough.

For me personally, I wouldn't take part. I still have an only partially completed Ven Dread that needs to get done and I have various other partially painted squads, etc, that need to be completed before I start work again on any more "paint it from plastic" contests/vows. It's also immediately on the heels of the ETL and I think the starter will be enough of a motivator on its own to get people painting. Maybe a DA "Hunt for the fallen painters" could happen between September/October and November, but come January, you're going to have LPC vows, so I'm not entirely sure how many painting motivational contests people really want to take part in.

I'd be interested in a painting event in the September/October period. The combination of new Dark Angel models, my birthday and a week off work is like an stellar conjunction.

Perhaps opening it to completing unfinished models as well as wholly new ones could be considered. That's where the extra motivation really helps, in my opinion.

I personally think it should be something creative, rather than just a "paint what you haven't started" type event, for instance, it could be models you have only partially finished as Cactus said, or something along the lines of trying a new painting technique (you state what you want to do, maybe ask for advice, and then show off your completion), or a new modeling technique, something converted, etc. It should still be broad enough to paint what you want, but maybe something like a "paint a DA character, FW, FW counts-as with modeling, Codex, or DiY, and give us a little run down of why you depicted him this way/chose him."

Just a few ideas. Let's be a little creative with it.

I personally think it should be something creative, rather than just a "paint what you haven't started" type event, for instance, it could be models you have only partially finished as Cactus said, or something along the lines of trying a new painting technique (you state what you want to do, maybe ask for advice, and then show off your completion), or a new modeling technique, something converted, etc. It should still be broad enough to paint what you want, but maybe something like a "paint a DA character, FW, FW counts-as with modeling, Codex, or DiY, and give us a little run down of why you depicted him this way/chose him."

Just a few ideas. Let's be a little creative with it.

Oh it will be creative... trust me! ;) I think I'm speaking too much. I'll shut up now. Thank you. :)

I'd be interested in some sort of DA painting thing as I plan to make a small DA successor force when the starter box is released, and am already planning to order a few other things prior to that in preparation.

I didn't realise how much people loved collecting banners, but i guess it comes with the territory of "achievement unlocked" :P

Al

Bleep bloop, you got achievables

http://cdn.justachieveit.com/badge/776c889d2952004d0e81de4626303073/1.png

I think it would be a great idea to have an expansion when the starter box is out! Maybe the Templars won because they always practice for painting challenges.

Besides I think they are a great time to get creative and try out new techniques; I tried out a number of tweaks to my normal colour combinations as well as some brand new techniques in the ETL and they worked out pretty well.

Oh please we won because of good old fashion gumption :) hahaha just kidding

Honestly, if you think about it, it is easy for us to expand our armies, when we haven't had a new codex since 4th. We can just keeping building and painting. Funny thing is, in this last challenge I saw the number of rhinos for us go way down due to 6th. When we do get a new codex our armies could be in for some real changes!!

Armies that are regularly updated mean your plans/strategy are always changing as new techniques change what units you field. The BT are still rolling in a similar fashion as we did when 4th came out.

I am super excited that the DA are one of the two new featured armies for GW!! When 6th came out my first ally army was DA's and I haven't looked back adding more any chance I get. So I am looking forward to a DA challenge. It will be loads of fun especially if ole Capt Semper throws his hat into the ring!!

Funny thing is, in this last challenge I saw the number of rhinos for us go way down due to 6th. When we do get a new codex our armies could be in for some real changes!!

Well, I reckon one reason is that Rhinos are bad for these challenges where the point cost is what matters. After all it's a lot of work for not a whole lot of points. Which is why we also saw a lot of Chaplains, Marshals and such vowed. Lots of points, comparatively not that much to paint.

Much better explained ;)

I agree with Brian: so many events all together...however, if you dont have to do it from plastic to varnish, then many people would just finish the odd marine/squad/whatever that is laying around.

I've been waiting at least 2 years to paint more green guys waiting for a new codex.

Kniw what? Screw GW and their codex and the tournaments...when I get a free weekend, I'll start pumping out models so fast not even the Ophidian will be able to Gulf it (terrible pun).

I, Tanhausen, vow to stalk Semper and his events :P

I should've started with this a few months ago. When I painted the bulk of my Dark Angels in almost one go.

(i'm currently on hiatus ordering and ebay buying bitz and cheap stuff to augment what i got)

3 squads of Marines from the starter kit. 2 HQ's from Starter Kit. Over 10 veteran Marines. Meh... :blush:

I'm pleased though that it's not Deathwing / Ravenwing all the time on this forum. The little Greens are cool and their robed form as signature as a Deathwing termie.

I would get in it. I will be getting the DA contents from 2 starters as well as the predator and tac squad I bought today. I also have another tac squad I just finished assembling. Just need a starter gun and I will be off.

If we were to have a painting contest based on what's inside of the box, I'd be very interested. For example, maybe have everyone paint just the tactical squad plus an HQ, and submit them for judging by the Inner Circle? Something like this would establish a friendly competition within the forum.

Actually, maybe a 1 HQ + 2 troop options might be a good idea.

- Its the bare minimum legal

- You don't HAVE to buy the starter set, you can salvage models you have around or ebay

But the greek master said he has a plan...lets hope he rescues us! (sorry for the terrible pun)

Archived