Need help to build sternguard veterans

J-rich54

Hi all!

After some time tinking about playing a sternguard squad in my BA army I decided to build one.

So I need your help to get some ideas on how to build a nice-looking squad with bits because I dont want to buy 2 box of finecast sternguard at 55$ each

Please give me some idea on what I sould buy to get 10 nice-looking veterans to play in a drop pod for my BA army.

Thanks!

I always think Death Company Box is still best plastic box. You can make anything out of it. Heck I used one box to make Magnetized Vanguard veterans. Just use bolters and you get Sternguards. Or if you have death company bits lying around just buy Tacticical marines box and some Death company bolters, shoulder pads off eBay mixing DC bits and / or sanguinary bits with regular tactical marines makes IMHO good looking unit that well can be Sternguards... just posting made me realize I got now more than enough to kit bash my own Sternguards by using Tacticals box. I got already 12+ free DC bolter hands... Just kitbashing bolters bit with plasma pistols: Yayy combi plasmas.

I bought the Ferrox Umbra pattern bolter set from Forgeworld (the ones with the boxy ammo cartridges). Just use those with a normal tac squad model tricked up with BA shoulder pads and extra purity seals. Bobs your Uncle Thats what I did and doesn't cost the earth for "failcast models"

Cheers and good luck with it

I went with the old metal dark angels wearing robes because I had some laying around. The rest is standard tac marine parts, but with piles of parchments and purity seals all over the shoulder pads.

I used chapterhouse combi-parts (just the tops) for my meltas/flamers and attached them to the top of standard bolters (modified). Much better than spending £3 each on bitz site ones.

If you can wait till 15 Sep GW are releasing Space Marine Sternguard Veteran Weapons priced at $13.50. Wack them on 'Veteran' looking marines as mentioned above & you're good to go. Cheaply too if you have bodies/arms/heads in plastic around too.

- Dallas

PS. We will also get:

The Sanguinor, Exemplar of the Host 15-Sep-12 $22.25

Blood Angels Sanguinary Priest 15-Sep-12 $19.25

Mephiston, Lord of Death 15-Sep-12 $19.25

Lemartes, Guardian of the Lost 15-Sep-12 $19.25

Chapter Master Gabriel Seth 15-Sep-12 $19.25

Brother Corbulo 15-Sep-12 $19.25

Blood Angels Shoulder Pads 15-Sep-12 $10.00

Flesh Tearers Shoulder Pads 15-Sep-12 $10.00

Captain Tycho 15-Sep-12 $19.25

Blood Angels Vanguard Veteran 15-Sep-12 $19.25

Manh thanks to all of you for your answer!

After readig your replies and seaching on the web I will probably buy a death company box and wait for that kit GW is going to release in september with a lot of bit I alreary got I should be able to make a complete sternguard vet squad

Thanks!

If you can wait till 15 Sep GW are releasing Space Marine Sternguard Veteran Weapons priced at $13.50. Wack them on 'Veteran' looking marines as mentioned above & you're good to go. Cheaply too if you have bodies/arms/heads in plastic around too.

- Dallas

Are there any leaked pictures of these veteran weapons? Are they supposed to be the casts from the Sternguard box without the bodies or new bolter casts for any arm?

Thanks.

Snorri

my sternguard are just like 90% of my marines in my army, totally reposed (cut legs into the segments and reposition)

For the sternguard, I am using the torsos from the forgeworld command squad + torsos from the new captain + standard bearer kit from forgeworld. They all get blinged up right shoulder pads and company champion left shoulder pads. They all also get some sculpted extra detail on the legs, helmets will be using a mix of bare heads and the heads with blood drops/wreathes on them. I'll be using the commander backpack for the sergeant and I'll be using the cloaks from the captain and standard bearer kit from forgeworld on a couple and replicating that style of cloak on the rest with green stuff...

they aren't built yet but I'll provide pics once they are (along with the rest of my stuff at some point)

- Dallas

Are there any leaked pictures of these veteran weapons? Are they supposed to be the casts from the Sternguard box without the bodies or new bolter casts for any arm?

Thanks.

Snorri

No idea yet but as soon as I find out I'll post. I suspect that they'll do it properly, a set including similar casts as the current combo-weapons (without arms I guess). I imagine a kit either having something like 2 combi-melta, 2 combo-plasma, 2 combi-flamer & a heavy flamer OR all of one type, i.e. 8 combi-meltas, 8 combo-flamers, 8 combo-plasma & then a set with 4 of the heavy options; but I'm just guessing right now. We'll have to wait a little bit. If anyone is building Sternguard though I really suggest they hold off & at least wait for this kit to be released, no point converting a load of combo-meltas (using a bolter, meltagun) if they can be bought in a set.

I'm just hoping they don't do something lame like 10 weapons, 8 special ammo bolters then 2 combi-weapons. There's no way most people will spend $54 to get 8 combo-weapons.

- Dallas

Mh, from that picture, the combi-plasma looks like a half- :) ed conversion that anyone could do by simply chopping a plasma pistol up front and glueing it on top of the bolter. :)

It's kinda sad that those heavy weapons are not really useful or availabe to other squads...especially the flamer looks promising!

Snorri

- Dallas

PS. We will also get:

The Sanguinor, Exemplar of the Host 15-Sep-12 $22.25

Blood Angels Sanguinary Priest 15-Sep-12 $19.25

Mephiston, Lord of Death 15-Sep-12 $19.25

Lemartes, Guardian of the Lost 15-Sep-12 $19.25

Chapter Master Gabriel Seth 15-Sep-12 $19.25

Brother Corbulo 15-Sep-12 $19.25

Blood Angels Shoulder Pads 15-Sep-12 $10.00

Flesh Tearers Shoulder Pads 15-Sep-12 $10.00

Captain Tycho 15-Sep-12 $19.25

Blood Angels Vanguard Veteran 15-Sep-12 $19.25

Finally!!

Can't wait for september! :D

gotta say that I am disappointed with the "heavy" flamer from the sternguard GW set. Just looks like a regular flamer held in a different position. Going to be sticking with my converted ones instead. Also disappointed that they chose to add a Heavy Bolter (unless rumours about a rules change for them are true, which I highly doubt.) given that there's already a marine devastator model that could have been used (besides the Dev marine is FAR more bad @$$ looking) and that the HB is easily the worst heavy weapon in the game. The combi-plasma looks shrunk/lame compared to the combi-plasma that the commander set has. Combi-melta hasn't changed much, combi-flamer looks weird, but can't complain too much about it. I'm glad to see more right-handed LCs as there aren't many options.

Bitz sites are salivating over these because they will make a killing. I'm already foreseeing $5 a set from them. Anyone else think that $13 is steep for 5 weapons sets? Would have been nice if GW included these sets as separate sets (5 combi-plasmas, 5 LCs, 5 combi meltas, etc.)

gotta say that I am disappointed with the "heavy" flamer from the sternguard GW set. Just looks like a regular flamer held in a different position. Going to be sticking with my converted ones instead. Also disappointed that they chose to add a Heavy Bolter (unless rumours about a rules change for them are true, which I highly doubt.) given that there's already a marine devastator model that could have been used (besides the Dev marine is FAR more bad @$$ looking) and that the HB is easily the worst heavy weapon in the game. The combi-plasma looks shrunk/lame compared to the combi-plasma that the commander set has. Combi-melta hasn't changed much, combi-flamer looks weird, but can't complain too much about it. I'm glad to see more right-handed LCs as there aren't many options.

Bitz sites are salivating over these because they will make a killing. I'm already foreseeing $5 a set from them. Anyone else think that $13 is steep for 5 weapons sets? Would have been nice if GW included these sets as separate sets (5 combi-plasmas, 5 LCs, 5 combi meltas, etc.)

It's typical GW. They figure people will either run one of each weapon or just buy multiple sets, either way it's likely to sell kits by the truck load.

RE: Heavy Bolters; I think they're staying as S5 AP4 but losing their Heavy 3 status & getting Salvo 2/3. Apparently Sternguard will get Assault 3 18''/Heavy 3 36'' Heavy Bolters but I'm not holding my breath for that, going Salvo seems to make sense & quite likely since (I agree) right now Heavy Bolters are pretty useless.

- Dallas

I have 2 Sternguard squads in my BA force. The first I just used (as mentioned) DC spare parts. Looks good and works.

My second squad is forgeworld MK3 armour set with bolters with chain bayonets attached that I picked up on ebay cheap... thought they would be perfect for a second sternguard, and they do look cool.

Archived