Manufactorum - Imperial Skulls

Creeger

Now that the E TENEBRAE LUX is over, see my vow projects here & here, I've got a new project started. I'm building an Aegis Defense Line with both weapon options, Icarus Pattern Lascannon and Quad Gun.

I actually started assembly while waiting for paint to dry on my last project, so now that I'm ready to focus on the defense line, I'm pretty much already done putting it together.

I tried out some of the liquid green stuff for the first time on these models. I used it to fill the seams in the gun barrels of the quad and icarus, as well as a big hole in the top of the icarus' targeting lens thingy. The mold didn't get filled with plastic and left a rather large dip in the flat plate that covers the lenses. I probably should have used regular putty to fill that hole, but I wanted to see what all I could do with the liquid stuff.

The liquid green stuff worked great on the barrel seams, but I had to apply multiple coats to fill the bigger hole.

Tonight I got everything primed and a base color sprayed on them. I normally only use Citadel paints, but I don't have a spray gun and didn't want to paint the base color on these walls, and my next project, a bastion, by hand. So, I used some Krylon Ultra-Flat, Camouflage, Olive for a base coat. So far so good with the imposter paint.

I 'think' this project will go pretty fast. I don't spend near as much time painting terrain as I do my marines.

gallery_65424_7286_115218.jpg

gallery_65424_7286_348739.jpg

gallery_65424_7286_445929.jpg

I got the base color highlights done this evening. I dry brushed on goblin green and then went back with some bestial brown for dirty spots. I had a little time left over to start the aquilas, so I based those with codex gray an then tried skull white over that, but it was way to "clean" looking to suit me, so I switched to bone white instead.

So far it's been a really simple paint job. More to come soon, real life permitting.

gallery_65424_7286_235528.jpg

I finished up my Aegis Defense Line project this evening and I'm really pleased with how the models turned out. I liked this kit, the guns were easy to put together and came with optional doodads to customize the guns with and everything fit together nicely.

Even though the pint job I put on them is a pretty simple one, I think they'll look fantastic on the battlefield and really add to the game.

Thank for following this project. Next I'll be working on an Imperial Bastion.

gallery_65424_7286_40558.jpg

gallery_65424_7286_202577.jpg

gallery_65424_7286_112450.jpg

I've got my new Imperial Bastion project well under way. As usual, I actually started assembly during my last project's painting phase while waiting for paint to dry.

Tonight I just finished up construction and started filling joints with liquid green stuff. This is the biggest model I've ever put together but I didn't find it difficult. It does have some whopping big seams that need to be filled though.

I plan on painting this up to match the Aegis Defense Line I just finished.

gallery_65424_7286_124367.jpg

gallery_65424_7286_361729.jpg

I have no idea what they are. They cover up some seams in the model nicely and they were in the picture on the box just like I modeled them, but they don't look like any other sensors I've seen before.

Bastion's all done!

gallery_65424_7286_413522.jpg

I got to work on my Imperial Bastion this evening and finished it up. Like the Aegis Defense Line I did previously, I put a pretty simple paint job on it because I don't like spending huge amounts of time painting terrain. I've always been of an opinion that no one looks very closely at terrain and even a fast paint jobs on it looks great on the table top.

My next project will also be a terrain piece. I'm on a terrain kick if you hadn't noticed. CogCon 22 is coming up and I want to have a really nice looking table set up to show off the game. I'm hoping to drag in some new players.

Anyways, next project will be an outpost made from the bottom floor and top floor of another bastion kit. The kit is nicely engineered to allow the middle section with the heavy bolters to be left off with no conversion. The Bastion is just a top notch kit if you ask me!

gallery_65424_7286_40823.jpg

It's been a good evening for my Warhammer projects. I finished up a little out post model I've been working on this evening and then went on to start and finish a piece of ruins. After that I still had a little more in my so I started some random battlefield debris projects.

If only every night were so productive! Anyways, burnt all my time doing the above so minimal commentary this time. Enjoy the photos and thanks for following my Outpost project.

gallery_65424_7286_62620.jpg

gallery_65424_7286_113205.jpg

gallery_65424_7286_188561.jpg

gallery_65424_7286_150346.jpg

gallery_65424_7286_25695.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing my terrain building projects in preparation for CogCon 22, I started construction on a Shrine of the Aquila model tonight. I put a marine in the picture for a scale reference because this model is HUGE! And I've still got two more wall sections to attach to it. When it's done it'll be a fair amount larger than the Imperial Bastion I built a little while back.

So far so good on the construction end. The large flat wall sections suffered from a little bowing, but nothing I wasn't able to straighten out with a few rubber bands. This kit, like the Bastion, is made of modular pieces that are very easy to assemble in alternative ways. I've chosen to build my shrine as, perhaps, a narrow entrance into a much larger building.

The "default" build has the front door off to once side of a wider building, but I liked the more symmetrical look of centering the door. I could have also made it into a very wide building by putting a large wall section on either side of the front door and having the ruined wall sections fold back to make the corners, but I was worried that the model would be too tall and shallow, causing it to be tipsy. If I were going to do that I'd buy a second Shrine kit and put a few extra wall sections on the side. That would make a very impressive ruined building indeed!

More to come soon, hopefully.

gallery_65424_7286_110197.jpg

I finished construction on my Shrine of the Aquila this evening. As you can see, the second floor holds a five man terminator squad with a librarian with plenty of room to spare. This is a really big model!

I've got 22 days until CogCon 22. Should be plenty of time to get it painted...

gallery_65424_7286_230105.jpg

gallery_65424_7286_397562.jpg

I'm going to paint it up as close to the picture on the box as I can. This is the first one of these I've built so if I can make it look like the pictures, I'll be happy. I haven't painted many buildings before and with a Con coming up that I want to use the model in, I don't feel like experimenting too much right now. GW's paint scheme doesn't suck, so that's what I'm going with.

I got to work on my Shrine of the Aquila some more this evening and I think I'm finished with the major base color and it's highlights. The picture turned out a little funny though. The blue doesn't look nearly and bright as it appears in the picture. Not sure why this happened, normally my pictures are a bit darker that reality. I guess the blue highlight color I used really reflects the camera flash, or something.

On a side note: I took the picture on my new Citadel Battlemat. I have some nice tables already, but the building rules where CogCon 22 is being held won't allow me to bring in tables. We have to use their tables which will probably be 3'x6' office tables. I plan to put two of them together and stick a few layers of wide masking tape down the joint to eliminate the crack in the middle. Then I'll lay the Battlemat on top so we'll have a nice surface to play on.

F.Y.I. I'm really impressed with the Battlemat so far. The flock doesn't "shed" at all and it's very soft and flexible, so it lays nice and flat.

gallery_65424_7286_152821.jpg

• 1 month later...

After a long bit of down time, due to my work schedule, the holidays, and an extremely addictive video game, I've gotten started on another project. My Shrine of the Aquila is still not finished, but I've been making terrain for so long, I feel like actually improving my army for a while. So, the Shrine is officially shelved for the moment while I try to get my painting groove on again.

To that end, I'm working on some heavy weapon options for my tactical terminator squad. Brother Veteran Sergeant Erik and his 5-man terminator squad have been consistently getting their butts kicked before killing much of anything. I'm hoping a few more bodies and some heavy weapons will improve their performance.

I've built 2 of each weapon option, assault cannons, heavy flamers, and cyclone missile launchers, as well and three extra dudes with storm bolters and power fists. Not all of them made it in the picture because I've run out of primer.

I have three more terminators in my bits box. I think I'd like to pick up a couple of chain fist arms for two of them so I'll be able to field my terminator squad with any options I want.

gallery_65424_7286_29970.jpg

Here's Brother Erik and the boys

gallery_65424_7286_184764.jpg

Here's the future additions to the squad

• 1 month later...

Happy new year everybody. To celebrate the new year I just took it easy today. I got to enjoy some time working on some additions to my terminator squad.

I've got the base color and its highlights done and I've started applying the first color coat on the crux terminatus and helmets.

As you can see, I put my original 5 terminators in the picture. When the extra models are done, I'll be able to run this squad with any combination of weapons I please, except on the sergeant. Which has me thinking about extending this little project to include some more sergeant models with different power weapon options.

gallery_65424_7286_304742.jpg

• 1 month later...
Well here they are:
This is Veteran Sergeant Erik and The Brotherhood. They makeup the 2nd Tactical Terminators squad of 1st Company.
You'll notice the squad is sixteen models strong. That's because I built two of every weapon option for the squad so I could pick and choose as I please when building an army list. I didn't make any variants for Sgt. Erik himself, though, and I'm not sure I ever will. I'm pretty disappointed at the choices, or lack there of, of equipment options for tactical terminator sergeants.
It took me way, way too long to finish these guys, but life has been all up in my hobby business lately.
I think my next project will be some more dreadnaughts, so stay tuned!

gallery_65424_7286_188403.jpg

• 2 months later...

I used to do that, but I got tired of hunting for the right weapon in my case, (because they always get lost in there!) and I figure just making a new model for every weapon option I want gives me as good of an excuse as any to buy more models thumbsup.gif

Archived