Librarian Conversion

IndigoJack

This is my latest conversion. As the title suggests, it's a DA libby. I've had a hankering to convert one ever since the new psychic powers came out. C&C appreciated, but be gentle, this is my first time using green stuff other than as a filler!

http://i48.tinypic.com/6xw9s8.jpg

The cabling was made using Green Stuff Industries SAW-020 tentacle maker. You should check it out!

First impression is "what GS did he use?"... so thats good ;)

My only 2 "fears":

1.- The cloth seams too broad on the waist. If its waivy and all on the bottom, fine... but it seems too bulky on the waist.

2.- Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks a bit thick. Maybe sanding it down a bit in the best area?

Kick ass conversion nevertheless!

I think overall great and will look awesome when painted. The head as it currently is doesn't appear to join his body at a normal angle though - giving the impression his neck's broken or made of rubber :P .

Cheers

I

Thanks for the crits and praise! I agree about the waist being to wide at the top. It seemed trapezoidal enough when I started but as I got closer to the end I realized it wasn't narrow enough. Oh well, a good lesson to learn. I think I have a solution to help with this, but I'll have to wait until I get home to see if it works. The problem with the head is that it's actually a termie head, and they are a touch bigger at the base than normal PA heads. The cabling also blocks it a little and it's difficult to place with the psychic hood. I did try and reposition it, and I think it turned out a bit better. More pics to follow tonight.

As far as painting goes, hopefully I'll be able to get some primer on him this weekend, maybe even some base colors. I just started school back up again and I already feel like this semester is going to be hectic so I'm not sure how much hobby time I'm going to get.

Before I chastise you for modeling a WITCH, I'd like to say that I think you have the pose down quite well. As mentioned earlier, the head looks disconnected from the body because of the angle. When using the larger heads of the termies, you will find yourself needing to shave off a fair bit of the neck column to get it to sit correctly.

You want to do this now before you get any paint on him because you're not going to like how the paint will emphasize the disconnect later on.

Also, one other thing. This may just be me, but I think the hoses are double the diameter that they need to be unless you really want them to be that large. Didn't that mold also have like a 010 hose as well? As far as the top of the robe goes, I don't think that's too far off. I'd bet with just a little filing/sanding you can reduce it just a tad to get the overall shape you are after. Also, you can compensate during painting to leave that part in shadows whilst bringing out the folds in the front.

Now, regarding a much more serious matter, is it standard practice on this forum to encourage the inclusion of witches in your forces? :)

First impression is "what GS did he use?"... so thats good :lol:

My only 2 "fears":

1.- The cloth seams too broad on the waist. If its waivy and all on the bottom, fine... but it seems too bulky on the waist.

2.- Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks a bit thick. Maybe sanding it down a bit in the best area?

Kick ass conversion nevertheless!

I forget the company that makes it. but there is a company that makes these pieces of plastic that has grooves in them and you make thin rolls of Green Stuff and then put it between the two pieces and you roll it back and forth, it makes the coiling lines on the GS rolls for cabling.

That's if you were wondering that. lqtm

Ok, I've repositioned the head, it looks a lot better now. I've also shaved down the top of the tabard. To hide the rough spots, I've added purity seals. Let me know what you think of the improvements!

http://i50.tinypic.com/8zn410.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/1zqyow8.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/29zifd.jpg

The cables are a bit too big, but I had problems getting the roll of green stuff thin enough while keeping it even. I'm just happy both sides are the same size! Also, I think the bigger cables add some bulk to him, which is something I like to do when modelling. As far as him being a witch. if being a psyker is wrong, I don't want to be right!

This is the website with the tentacle maker if you're interested. I think it's a sound investment for anyone thinking about doing cables.

Looking great!

However, the head still looks a bit odd.

Suggestion: either trim down the bowl part of the neck (which you glue to the torso) or shave the top of the torso so the head sits deeper. I'd go for the first.

First off, he does look better now, so I think you can be comforted in knowing that you are on the right track.

However, I agree with Tanhausen in that the head is just a tad too high. You're only off by about 1 mm, but since the "witches" hood provides something visual to measure against, it's throwing off the overall effect.

So, just a little farther, you're almost there.

BTW: +1 for quoting Rod Stewart (I liked his version better). At the end of the day however, he was still wrong. B)

Cheers,

Archived