Assault Marine Sargeant loadouts

ajefferism

Just wanted to pick your guys' brains about what success you've had with assault marine sargeants and their different weapons options in 6th edition. In 5th, I just gave mine a Powerfist and infernus pistol, but now the powerfist/axe leaves him vulnerable to challenges. Also infernus pistols seem less needed with the increased power of krak grenades on most vehicles in 6th.

Right now I'm debating on two loadouts: 1. barebones, no options or 2. give him a stormshield and lightening claw. I figure the ss and lc will make others pause before challenging him (albeit its a rather expensive loadout). What do you guys think of these loadouts? What loadouts have you guys had success with in 6th and why? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Been considering fielding a gunslinger Sergeant with 2x plasma pistol in my meltagun squad, this should be a more reliable way to deal with terminators.

Pros:

Strong vs termies, MC and light light/medium veichles, decent vs meq.

Can deny challenges issued without loosing to power on assault compared to Fist.

Cool looking mini

Cons:

Expensive, 30 points.

Will proc 'gets hot' alot. Prescience libby to negate?

Won't be able to shoot each round, locked in cc etc. Hit and run to negate?

Somewhat short range

Thoughts? Yes, no, maybe so?

Same effectiveness as a Plasma gun but for 30 pts? I'm not convinced
Is being able to charge after firing 2 plasma shots worth 15 points?

If you can presience that unit, then why not, I'd be interested to hear the results. Get another plasma pistol on the librarian.

On average it shouldt be that hard to earn back the 30 point investment. Of course a plasmagun is better per point, but sergeants can only use pistols or a melee weapon option. I'd say it's something to consider :D Having jump units with 4 high str shots + hq be a threat to pretty much anything except horde blobs.

Though the squad is expensive, its only 5 more points than a power fist.

10 RAS 2 melta, 2 plasma pistol's, melta bomb - 245 points, + potentially a prescience Libby.

Same effectiveness as a Plasma gun but for 30 pts? I'm not convinced
Is being able to charge after firing 2 plasma shots worth 15 points?

If you can presience that unit, then why not, I'd be interested to hear the results. Get another plasma pistol on the librarian.

It's an option most other marine codex dont have on standard troop choice units (i belive vanilla can) and something that seperates us. There is a reason you only can bring 2 special weapons in a 10 man troop choice, if you want to bring more you generally have to buy elites. Having 4 special weapons in a normal assault squad lets you drop a Rhino or one Termie pre assault at a pretty high percent. Since most units attack at the same time in CC the more stuff you kill pre assault, the less dmg you will take in CC.

Here are the numbers:

2x melta 2xplasma pistol (srgnt), presience libby plasma pistol, kills on avreage:

1.2 hammer/ss termies

2.4 normal termies

3.6 meq

Gunslinger isolated

The 2 pistols alone kill 1.4 marines on avreage if grouped with a libby, so they are close to making their points back on the first shooting round. (dmg done+less dmg taken on assault)

You cannot cast Prescience on the turn you come down in a pod.

/

In drop pod units with 2 Meltaguns.... would you say a Sergeant with just 1 Plasma Pistol is worthwhile? Trading off the Power Weapon for an extra S7 Ap2 shot instead? Given they have no attached characters to enhance combat anyway.

Are you dropping Sternguard, or replacing JP with POD? I think it's fine replacing Power Weapon with plasma pistol, though you might have some ranged issues with footslogger's firing 12" range weapons. Drop to close vs troops and you will get assaulted, drop to far away you wont be able to shoot with it.

If your plan is killing veichles it should work, though i'd bring a meltabomb.

With plasma pistols and Libby, i would generally start on the table and advance from there.

Archived