Stormeagle

Polythemus

hello all,

I have recently been considering purchasing a stormeagle assault craft from forge world. Since as of right now the dark angels do not get any flying toys, i was considering using this one in place of a land raider. But before i shell out for it i was curious what the chapter thinks about this flying beast.

Pros

Cermite Av12 Flyer with all the difficult to bring down that entails.

Skimmer transport means 12" move before assaulting and never having to say your sorry

Reusable missles

Neg

More expensive than stormraven with similar stats.

High transport capacity may make it difficult to use effectively.

Not many free weapons.

In truth it seems the mortis auto cannon dread and possibly the hyperios wirlwind are better investments but this seems like a fun toy. And now that weve had a bit of 6ed under our collective belts it might be a better time to make an assesment. What say you?

We had a similar debate in the BT forum between the Storm Eagle and the Caestus. Long story short, they are both worth taking, they each have their advantages and you should take the one you think you'll like the most.

One other comment that came out from mine and others research from those who have built the kits, the Storm Eagle is reported to be more difficult to put together.

They are both awesome looking kits though.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

The caestus was also on the table and it may actually be the better option since it is practically made for transporting terminators. The gunboats capacity is unusable for a chapter with structure like the DA, where as for templar squads it can be usable that av 13 is also the highest for any flyer ive seen. That is also one of the reasons why id like to see if any DA players have any thoughts on their usage.

While i really like the design of the model, the points costs for the upgrades make this flyer much to expensive, the basic version on the other hand lacks firepower (personal opinion). Still compared to the Ceastus both will come close to 300 Points, if you bought the cermanite shielding for for the Caestus and weapons for the Storm Eagle. The Storm Eagle's transport capacity is of no real use either.

I bought a Ceastus, when i placed my latest order with FW... i might pick up a Storm Eagle, but not essentially fot the DA.

My rule is if you like a model, and you are willing to buy it, paint it and use it then who cares if it is "worth it". There is too much pressure to only use things that are worth it. Why not have it because you like the model? I use my Techmarine occasionally because I like the model. Effectiveness be damned! That also goes for Inquisitor Lord Hector Rex...or any model. You can always work out how to make use of a model you love.

i just got a hold of the new IA: aeronautica book. The storm eagle is the same exactly as earlier incarnations, while it seems the caestus assault ram got a general price hike. So thats one less variable to consider.

The Storm Eagle (SE) and its uses for the dark angles.

General: This is essentially a flying assault troop transport, with some horde killing firepower. It Eats a fast attack slot, which is too bad and has a carrying capacity larger than any squad we have currently unless you transport a full bike squadron.

The starting firepower is 2 weapons both hull mounted (dakka and large template)good versus hordes armies and light infantry, will not pen. any armor, but may glance. Power of the machine spirit (POTMS) will allow you to choose 2 different targets if you wish. Weapons strength can be increased for purposes of killing tanks but may cause this vehicle to become a massive points sink. The 12 armor means that for most aa platforms (quad gun strength 7) you need 6s to penetrate it, plus its got ceramite plating, so even while hovering it will require an armorbane or smash attack to reliably pen.

Uses: it seems that if you know you will be dealing with flyers you should upgrade the weapons to melta, but other wise it seems best to keep this as a horde killing transport. For the DA it seems best for this to be used as transport for an assault termie group. Basic tactic may be to reserve three groups to deathwing assault. 2 come in via teleport and the third come in what should be the SE (now code named: Death Eagle). with the capability of POTMS it may be feasible for this group to go without a heavy weapon to keep the points cost low. It might also be used to bring in a tact squad or veteran squad to sit on an unclaimed objective that has just been cleared for the greenwing players out there. Obviously this thing is great for city fights and terrain heavy battlefields.

Cons : The danger of course is that if blown up with termies inside, well ouch. I hope they have storm shields. Secondly it could be quite possible that it doesnt come til turn 4 so you'll only have one turn to really use its cargo. With only a few weapons this thing is mainly a transport, do not confuse it for a superiority fighter. If you wanna make it an air fighter expect to pay top points.

conclusion: a multi role assault craft transport with the ability to suppress enemy hordes and deliver a potent cargo load. It can also remain a threat after delivering its cargo. it can be done for fairly cheaply. even with 5man termie squads this thing may be useful. Veteran squads may be even more useful.

I prefer the Storm Eagle over the Ram for a couple reasons. One, it is a little more flexable which fits the first legion. Two it looks just plain cool.

While I do concur there are enough reasons to take the Ram. I just enjoy the Eagle a little more.

As has been noted above it can go either way depending on your army, and playstyle. Good luck, and have fun :-D

I'm testing a bare-bones Eagle in a list at the moment, and it carries Belial and his squad.

Seems to be pretty good, and fun to use. I can't comment on the Caestus, other than that I think it's a little bit too powerful for me to feel good about using. Not the most rational reason, as the lists I play against are neither fluffy nor forgiving, but there it is.

EDIT: To clarify, 'bare bones' is the basic Storm Eagle with an upgrade to a Typhoon missile launcher. Also, I will soon be testing with adding a Chaplain to the squad (to further utilise the transport capacity).

Ran two Storm Eagles last night against GKs. 2000. Ouch.

He didn't have any dedicated AAA; but mass psicannons hurt.

First Storm Eagle got one shooted by a psifleman, first turn 1 hit, penetrating hit, boom. :devil:

Second storm eagle, loaded with the command termie squad, showed up late to the fight, lived for two turns then his entire army hosed it down with psicannons. Death to HPs loss. TH/SS termies surfed down on the storm shields, and almost pulled out a tie. (11 died on way down; thank you 3++)

300 points for the MM/LC variant is expensive. I think two is overkill and to much firepower off the table. I think I will try one next time... more firepower in predators, and the reserves requirements hurt.

Also think a small tactical squad (5) with melta might be a better option for the cargo...

My rule is if you like a model, and you are willing to buy it, paint it and use it then who cares if it is "worth it". There is too much pressure to only use things that are worth it.

This. Precisely the reason that I bring my LRTU to every game... It's NOT worth 300 points...but it's oh so cool!

Archived