My Completed Wolves - Murderfang added 4-5-2015

Argyle

Well here goes. I think I've finally finished this guy off, although I'm sure I've missed something.

Comments and criticism would be very much appreciated. My apologies for the finger tips and background. I wanted some natural lighting to take the pics with and the way the sun was shining I had no choice but to hold him angled this way.

gallery_31762_5407_6153.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_42485.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_169304.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_117615.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_156599.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_47538.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_1643.jpg

Thank you very much for the comments guys.

The pelt can be seen in my vlka fenryka wip thread. It was cut out of plasticatd, shaped with a bic lighter and then the fur was gs'd. The head is a left over from the twc sprue.

Upon looking at my pics i do infact see 2 items i left incomplete. The purity seals on his right shoulder and the wolf head icon on his right leg wwhich was intended to be brass not black. Will adress this when im off work.

Awesome, really nice. They pelt is really well done, and I like the detail that is hidden underneath. That is a really nice touch. The OSL work is also really well done, and not too strong so works really well. Lastly your base is fantastic, I really like that effect you have managed with the snow. Can you reveal how you achieved that?

The base was my first attemp using the materials i did and all credit must go to secret weapon miniatures for their crushed glass and realistic water. Very simple to use and i was quite happy with the result being my first attempt. No learning curve really, just watched the how to video on youtube and away i went. Honestly almost felt like cheating.

Love the added details on this guy.

The only thing that stood out as a bit odd to me, and it may just be the way the light is hitting the model in the pictures, is that it looks more silver than grey, and with the yellow and black decorations, Iron Warriors kinda came to mind.

The only thing that stood out as a bit odd to me, and it may just be the way the light is hitting the model in the pictures, is that it looks more silver than grey, and with the yellow and black decorations, Iron Warriors kinda came to mind.

Yeah looking at the pics it does appear this way in some of them. Having direct sunlight hitting the model for pics maybe wasn't such a great idea. Ill build up a proper photo box some time soon for future pics as this thread will become on ongoing 'completed wolves' thread. I assure you however the model is in fact gray! lol. Eshin grey was the primary color used.

Would you mind giving a run through on the base? I really enjoy the slushy snow effect. Great dread otherwise, I would be proud to fight beside another ancient of the wolf king.

Their was really no trick in achieving the slushy snow effect. As I posted above all the credit goes to Secret Weapon for their crushed glass and realistic water kit.

Here is the video providing a visual demonstration far better than I could put into words:

@Argyle - how quickly does the glass/water effects take to dry and solidify? I'm just thinking as it really does look brilliant, especially with that 1k Sons torso/head semi-buried and on their (secret weapon) youtube it doesn't say :) thanks and keep up the good work :D

@Argyle - how quickly does the glass/water effects take to dry and solidify? I'm just thinking as it really does look brilliant, especially with that 1k Sons torso/head semi-buried and on their (secret weapon) youtube it doesn't say :( thanks and keep up the good work ;)

Less than an hour. Thats about as accurate as i can be since this was my first/only attempt so far. When applying it, it is thick enough to hold what ever shape you mould it into without running or slumping. I left the model in my garage for an hour and when i came back it was completely dry to the touch but i was still able to trim down a few areas i wasnt happy with, and using the handle end of my brush i could still force a few depressions into it in the thicker areas but i had to puch quite hard.

One thing off topic, it looks quite different when it sets as opposed to when its applied. When i put it on it was very translucent and when i came back after an hour it had changed to whats in the pics. I thought i had ruined the base when i first applied it, just saving you from sharing my hour of torment heh.

• 2 weeks later...

Well My contemptor is no longer a Lone Wolf! Decided to give Njal Stormcaller a go. I've always loved the Njal model but hated the staff posed across his chest. It looked to 'defensive' for me and I wanted him to have something more angry, more agressive. After completing this (much of which was experimental for me having never tried OSL like this before - and for the record not at all happy with my result =(), I love his pose and hate the model lol. This was a pewter version of the model and had it been the finecast one I may have shaved out some of the details. It was very frustrating how small some of the things on here were, example being the leather thong that holds the teeth on his front tabard. So hard to get that even when you did get it it was almost impossible to make stand out. Oh well.

I'm trying to convince myself that the OSL is convincing. I think I would have been better served to have the staff and opposite hand glowing as they are with their respective reflected light and I should have left the runes on the armor painted without any glow. I'm a bit worried that having that much 'glow' is washing him out and putting it to the point of too much. Any opinions? Painting the runes on his armor to not have glow would be very quick and easy to accomplish so I might take this rout.

Another convern is that although I love his new pose, the head of the staff in the general area its in has made it quite a congested spot between the raven, the wolf pelt head and the staff head now. I'm thinking I should have resculpted the ravens claws on the opposite shoulder and perched it there.

Overall, this was a learning excercise but I've frustrated myself enough with it so hes going on the completed shelf! Hope you guys like him. C&C always appreciated.

gallery_31762_5407_124555.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_131891.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_93115.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_6634.jpg

If its tough to tell in the pic angles, the idea here is that he's just Gandalf'd his stuff down in front of him, slamming a hole into the rock and sending cracks through it, and he's kinda supposed to be drawing energy from those old runes...or something like that =)

Archived