My Completed Wolves - Murderfang added 4-5-2015

Argyle

That Njal is absolutely stunning. I love how it looks like the power of the staff has melted the snow back from the circle of runes in the stone, that's freaking amazing. And you're right, that new pose is great. If you're worried about creating clutter in that area, you could make the staff longer, which might put the head above the raven, and avoid that cluttered look.

love the contemptor, really crisp.

the runepriest is great aswell, though I feel the OSL is over the top. The eyes are perfect, really emits the illusion of glow. I think the hand and the staff are too much. Perhaps if he was channeling something through either, but his stance suggests that he is just standing around (not like the Dark Vengeance set librarian, which would clearly benifit from some hand OSL).

That said, with the cool runes on the base it might just have worked for me if the staff itself had a little less OSL, making it look like it is the very bottom of the staff glowing (looks a bit like that, but most of the staff appear to be glowing?).

Either way you do a great OSL, the places where the "light" hits really appear to be the original colour brightened by coloured light. His right hand is a prime example to me.

Great job overall!

• 2 years later...

Incredible work!!!

Love the conversion of Njal... Great OSL and effects on the staff hitting the ground.

The dread is also stunning! the pelt, the threads written in the skin.. Superb!

Holy Emperors arse man!!

Where have you been hiding?? The dread and Njal are absolutely outstanding.

My turn to advise you that I am poaching a lot of ideas off of the dread.

Mind totally blown, now I absolutely positively cannot wait to see how your Murderfang turns out!! 

First and foremost, I truly appreciate the kind words! Keeps the fire stoked for sure =).

Second, sincere apologies to everyone for the two year dead thread necro hah. I posted a link to this in my new thread just assuming any comments would be posted in the other. However! It does give me a convenient place to put pics of my upcoming mini's so all is well that ends well.

How do you do that OSL to such a large extent? Please don't use the dreaded word airbrush....

This was a first attempt at OSL and I broke the age old addage that "Less is more". I'm pretty sure I overdid it, or atleast I thought I did. The idea was that he had just Galdalf'd his staff into the ancient ruins and was now drawing energy from them through the staff and into his other hand. The problem being the empty space between staff and hand. I thought to add some lightning like arcs between the two but.... nevermind. On to your question. Airbrush. Nope. Just very thinned down (5-6 drops of water per one drop of paint) enchanted blue, hawk turquoise and various shades of the two mixed with white in about a million layer glaze. You really need to let the layers dry between applications and its actually a good idea to matte varnish your finished paint job BEFORE doing the osl. If you aren't careful I realized that the wetness of the mix can soak into your paint job and the brush can actually remove paint because of it.

Holy Emperors arse man!!

Where have you been hiding?? The dread and Njal are absolutely outstanding.

My turn to advise you that I am poaching a lot of ideas off of the dread.

Mind totally blown, now I absolutely positively cannot wait to see how your Murderfang turns out!! 

Feed back like that coming from someone who's work I've been watching and admiring makes it all worthwhile. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wrapped up Murderfang. Comments and Criticism very much welcome. Did I overdo it on the blood? I know he'd really benefit from some battle damage... but that grey armor got painted 3 times covering up the mess I made trying to do it =(. I definately need to practice

gallery_31762_5407_43720.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_85967.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_154013.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_152724.jpg

And purely for entertainment sake! ... Betting open! Place your bets! Heh...just realized how similar the poses are and had to take the pic...

gallery_31762_5407_94491.jpg

I love that contemptor. :blink:

Ok, the murderfang is shiny, but that contemptor is a thing of beauty.

I applaud your outstanding efforts! :)

Hah hah! Thank you. Murderfang is actually not at all shiny. In fact he got sprayed with army painter anti shine matte varnish. My mistake was having no diffuser on my 1200 lumen bulb which was placed way to close. Ill take some better pics tomorrow with natural lighting.

Ah, a slight international linguistic mix-up there. I mean 'shiny' as in 'Ooooh...shiny' ohmy.png

Not a bad thing at all and not insinuating said murderfang is overly reflective msn-wink.gif

I simply meant the murderfang is pretty, but the contemptor is really a thing of beauty. biggrin.png

Ah, a slight international linguistic mix-up there. I mean 'shiny' as in 'Ooooh...shiny' :o

Not a bad thing at all and not insinuating said murderfang is overly reflective  ;)

I simply meant the murderfang is pretty, but the contemptor is really a thing of beauty. :D

Oh my mistake lol. Not so much a linguistic mix up as we use the same phrase over here. It was more because as i was cropping the photos I was already a touch self conscious about the glare that lamp had caused. In some spots looked like I had 'ard coated the model. Given that, i just naturally assumed... not important. Thanks for the feedback!

Archived