DARK VENGEANCE: PRE ORDERS ARE UP!

The Shadow Guard

I put off buying this until I could get it discounted from my usual retailer... but the longer I wait, the less sure I am that I will buy it at all. I'm just not sure that another squad of Tactical marines and Deathwing terminators is really what I need right now when I have so much unpainted and unassembled as it is. Plus, I have two very small kids in the house, and I really don't want them seeing some of the Chaos models. I'm not sure I like the idea of having to hide stuff from my own family...

I could just sell off the Chaos stuff, but I do like the models and probably wouldn't actually do that.

Gotta say the models look damn good in person, too. Too bad that as mentioned earlier I won't be able to paint them for a while, and even when I do, they won't look as good as they deserve due to my lackluster painting skills.

The interrogator-chaplain is in a minisprue of its own. Unlike with, say, AoBR commander, the backpack is solidly attached to the cape & rear torso, so no easy jump pack conversion or such to be had there. It's possible to reasonably easily swap the crozius arm, as it's one piece from shoulder onwards. Head is separate as well, so an easy swap there too.

Looking at the DW models a little closer, I might possible use the Sergeant as a Belial stand-in with storm bolter and Sword of Silence. My first attempt at creating my own model didn't work out too well, so I'm thinking of taking another attempt at it. The model has enough detail and ornamentation that I believe he could represent my Deathwing Master perfectly.

I decided to risk it and go into the local GW. Fortunately, there were quite a few limited editions available. I bought it mainly so I can finally get my Bahltimyr Reavers Traitor Marine army going, but I've decided to start a DIY Dark Angel Successor army. I've posted the (very!) bare bones of the fluff for them (so bare boned they don't even have a name yet! :cuss ) in my Blog.

If any Dark Angels players have a few minutes to spare, could they read what I have so far to see if the idea could work?

Thanks in advance ^_^

This does not mean that I'm abandoning my Iron Hands successor and other Chapters.....no, sir, no.

Er, no :lol:

So...

Did anybody who pre ordered it off the website immediately after it became available actually receive there DV box through the post today?

I didn't. Me and my Chaos sibling are rather miffed by GW for this, especially after the bogus email on Wednesday saying that it had been despatched.

Al

No, i didn't receive mine, but Crewe always sems to be slower for delivery of parcels, GW or otherwise.

When I ordered it I did notice on the website that it said it would be dispatched on Friday. The email I received on Wednesday made me think otherwise, so GW got the advice right on their website, but not in their email it would seem!

So...

Did anybody who pre ordered it off the website immediately after it became available actually receive there DV box through the post today?

I didn't. Me and my Chaos sibling are rather miffed by GW for this, especially after the bogus email on Wednesday saying that it had been despatched.

Al

Yeah I got the bogus email on Wed. I emailed them and they had an unconvincing reply. Will just have to wait until tuesday since we have a holiday on monday in the US.

Hmmm that all sounds a bit confusing – and very frustrating for anyone awaiting their delivery. I'm guessing internal wires crossed within GW. Send in the Techmarines :devil:

GW are so worried about leaks they post preorders late enough that there is no chance of early arrival. Might as well go to the shop after release, it's not like they will only make a couple of boxes. Not at the cost of production for each sprue.

That stinks that it isn't getting delivered sooner, guys. :P I won't regret doing my happy dance right now, and I will say, I don't think anyone will have any issues with the quality of these models (other than if you don't already like some of the components, etc). They really are excellent pieces and make me have some hope that we will get a Deathwing kit easily as detailed, if not more so, that the Death Company, Sanguinary Guard and both PA and TDA Grey Knights kits. These guys look awesome IMO, and I don't think it will be that hard to get the two look-a-like DW to have slightly different gun poses (clip off the mounting stud and super/plastic glue in a slightly different position), may need a bit of Green Stuff but I think it's doable. Even the assault cannon looks like it can be repositioned a little bit (you can't turn the head in the direction of the assault cannon and vice versa). Even the duplicates probably won't be complete duplicates with this set if you are willing to do just a little clipping and shaving (even the backpacks look somewhat swappable on the Marines).

Chaos is a completely different story as far as the Chosen, Lord and Helbrute. Good luck.

The Chaplain looks awesome and his helm is so cool as a separate bit that I almost don't want to use it just so I can put it on someone else as another plastic chaplain. I think he'd make the basis of a really awesome plastic Chappy kit for GW. The Librarian is pretty much stock config, I think converting him would take a bit of work. More than I'm willing to do.

One thing I noticed that has gone back and forth: the Ravenwing are not veterans. The standard bikers do have Ld 9, but only have one base attack. They are "semi-veterans" which I personally think fits their status in the chapter.

No sign of mine yet - not too upset though as I have plenty of other stuff to do.

As long as they don't run out before mine ship :P

Yeah I pre-ordered a few minutes after midnight on the 25th. I got an email on wednesday the 29th saying my order was shipped with express delivery. It still hasn't arrived. There won't be a delivery tomorrow because it's Sunday. So it looks like I won't get my box set until Monday the 3rd at the earliest. I'm kinda wondering why I bothered pre-ordering at all. :P

You all do know it shipped fedex and you can just put in the tracking number you recieved in the shipment notification email right? Mine says it arrived at my post office today and I should get it tues or wed because of the holiday monday.

Maybe its different in different countries then, for me Fedex shows tracking info. What about royal mail or something like that? I just kept putting my tracking number into couriers until one recognized it =)

My box arrived today. :devil:

Had a look at the models it contains and they're lovely. Yes, the tacticals may not be the most exciting, but, by and large the miniatures are excellent, with lots of details. I did like the fact that the tactical backpacks have sculpted swords and the like - it's a nice, subtle touch.

Looking forward to putting them together over the next few days. I'm probably going to mix in the tactical marines across my army. I have quite a few boxsets waiting to be used (including some FW Mk III and V armour variants), the painting boxset marines, devastators and a combat squad, so this should allow for some nice variation across the units.

Similarly, the terminators can be used in lots of different squads.

The Chaplain, Librarian and Master will all give me some new wargear load-outs and options (I even have enough company master miniatures to do a DA themed Masters of the Chapter Apocalypse formation).

Altogether very nice. If I can get my hands on a second set I will definitely try out some conversions (although I might replace the tactical sergeant's chainsword with a power axe).

Archived