TDA ICs

Captain Juan Juarez

I'm going to be kit-bashing a ouple of TDA characters for my force, Captain and Chaplain, because I find a strange joy in the art of the kit-bash.

I am curious, though, about the tactical validity of Terminator characters in armies that don't feature Terminators. My current army is based around mobile Tactical Squads and Scouts at its core, with Assault Squads and bikes for counter-punching; this obviously means there are no units that you'd attach the TDA Cap/Chap to.

Is this a poor idea, a waste of points that could otherwise be better spent on the rest of the force?

Or is there some benefit to it that I haven't though of?

Well, because of the changes to power weapons (Ap values, Unweildy being given to axes) in 6th edition, arguably TDA is much more valuable now. I'd say any character poncing about in TDA is worth a punt, more so now than before in terms of survivability at least. However, I would seriously advocate having said character in a termie squad, just in case. But, it's up to you - playtest them. See if it works first hand. ;)

It's OK for Chaplains as it's the only way they can take a 2+ save. But as Captain's have access to the cheaper artificer armour, which gives them access to some better weapon options like the relic blade, then it is a waste of points on them.

Still, it can be all right, if you take it on a Captain take a power axe/fist or twin lightning claws. Or take Lysander and kitbash a model for him.

Agreed. Taking just the one TDA char does kind of limit his options. The Arty armour option is a better choice in my opinion. That being said, perhaps you should have a look at the SW board. The wolves have the option of having a TDA sergeant (wolf guard?) in some of their non-TDA squads and they don't seem to suffer too much for it.....

I'd have to agree with the posts above. An IC in TDA in your list just doesn't seem to fit, and you'll most likely get better performance from a chaplain in your assault squad, or a captain with artificer armor and a power weapon of your choosing.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is kit-bashing a biker captain. If you regularly use bikes then a biker captain kitted out with artificer armor, and possibly some other upgrades like storm shield and relic blade, will make your bike squads scoring. Since you said you use your bikes for "counter-punching" the bike makes your captain T5, and therefore can suffer instant death from only S10, as well as beefing up your bike squad significantly.

I don't know if you have any spare bikes laying around but it's food for thought.

I don't know if you have any spare bikes laying around but it's food for thought.

It's actually on the list of things to convert but as I lack spare bikes it's mid-way down the list of things to play with.

So, the concensus seems to be that;

Waste of points, without Terminators

Lacks the options of PA/AA for the Captain

The Chaplain, at the very least, is more use attached to an Assault Squad.

The only pro, from what you guys have said, is that it's the only way to get the Chaplain a better save.

Archived