My First Mini Painted

Atrenox

Looks great Brother! Much better than my first mini. The highlighting looks good and isn't overdone. The shading, I'm assuming a wash, looks good and hasn't pooled anywhere it shouldn't. I like the weathering effects on the bolter too. Might want to paint in the end of that barrel though.

Nice work,

However. Stop a moment and ask yourself if you really want to do an ultramarines army!

Ultramarines can be cool, so I only give this warning because most people start with UM because they match the picture on the box, then they go on to regret that they have spent loads of money and effort on producing the same army as everyone else...

I wish someone had told me this the first time around...

Looks great Brother! Much better than my first mini. The highlighting looks good and isn't overdone. The shading, I'm assuming a wash, looks good and hasn't pooled anywhere it shouldn't. I like the weathering effects on the bolter too. Might want to paint in the end of that barrel though.

thankyou for your kind words, and yes i did forget the barrel lol

Nice work,

However. Stop a moment and ask yourself if you really want to do an ultramarines army!

Ultramarines can be cool, so I only give this warning because most people start with UM because they match the picture on the box, then they go on to regret that they have spent loads of money and effort on producing the same army as everyone else...

I wish someone had told me this the first time around...

and yea iv been looking over several codexs and websites, gallerys and ultramarines just appeal to me ( favourite colour is blue as well ) oh and they have Marneus i love him.

Kudos man awesome first mini.

After you've done 10 try something a bit more cool (terminators :P) Leave Marneus till the end :)

Also if you go Ultra have a read of all the different companies can give you some cool differences, I personally prefer the 4th compan with green trim :)

If you said it was your first marine I would have been impressed, but it's your first miniature? Very good work!

I would make one suggestion and that is to take more care to remove mould lines (I see one on the left forearm and over the top of the helmet) before construction. That's all though.

The first miniature I ever painted myself was a Ral Partha Battletech Wasp. I painted it in tiger stripe camo and it looked awful. I remember being so disappointed as a kid that I wasn't as good as my old man and his gaming buddies. One of whom was a professional painter. I had no chance! :lol:

As was mentioned earlier though it's easy to take flak for being an Ultramarine. People like to bash on the boys in blue because they get a lot of love from GW, they get promoted in all the advertising, and lets face it Codex: Space Marines was written as an open love letter to Roboute Gulliman.

My Raven Guard do NOT consider Calgar their spiritual liege thanks very much Matt Ward. ;)

The smurfs are everyone's punch bag. They get dismissed as vanilla and as every kids first army. The truth is that Ultramarines are just as fluffy as any other chapter. They have their own history, look, feel, theme and character and done well the Ultramarines rock.

Find what draws you most towards the Ultramarines and focus on that when building, modelling and painting your army.

For me I love the Dark Angels and the robed monastic feel and the secrecy appeals to me. So a lot of my army is wearing robes, carrying censer burners and generally looking brooding. :)

When you build an army around what you love about them most it becomes unique to you and stands out far more than anyone who just runs a 'blue marine' army.

The first miniature I ever painted myself was a Ral Partha Battletech Wasp. I painted it in tiger stripe camo and it looked awful. I remember being so disappointed as a kid that I wasn't as good as my old man and his gaming buddies. One of whom was a professional painter. I had no chance! :lol:

As was mentioned earlier though it's easy to take flak for being an Ultramarine. People like to bash on the boys in blue because they get a lot of love from GW, they get promoted in all the advertising, and lets face it Codex: Space Marines was written as an open love letter to Roboute Gulliman.

My Raven Guard do NOT consider Calgar their spiritual liege thanks very much Matt Ward. ;)

The smurfs are everyone's punch bag. They get dismissed as vanilla and as every kids first army. The truth is that Ultramarines are just as fluffy as any other chapter. They have their own history, look, feel, theme and character and done well the Ultramarines rock.

Find what draws you most towards the Ultramarines and focus on that when building, modelling and painting your army.

For me I love the Dark Angels and the robed monastic feel and the secrecy appeals to me. So a lot of my army is wearing robes, carrying censer burners and generally looking brooding. :)

When you build an army around what you love about them most it becomes unique to you and stands out far more than anyone who just runs a 'blue marine' army.

I do realise there is alot of contempt or hate for the ultramarines but they just appeal to me. although i LOVE the dark angels just the look of them draped in robes gives you a whole new outlook on battle monks also they have a great back story, which is why i am excited about the new 6th edition starter set Dark vengeance which will start me off on the dark angels.

now i just have to figure out what to do with those heretics (chaos) that come with them lol

If you don't have any friends collecting Chaos then drop into your nearest store on release day. Most times there will be a bit of a swap shop going on and you might walk away with two sets of dark angels if you can trade your chaos units to someone else.

You could then field a full DA army or convert half the marines to Ultramarines with some careful filing and a bit of greenstuff work. Never let anyone talk you out of Ultramarines though. They're a great faction and rarely done well. A GOOD Ultra army really stands out as unique.

Archived