Best HQ to go along Assault terminators

Jaigo

Hello folks,

Since 6th I started to include a squad of assault terminators ( 2 LC, 3 TH/SS ) in my list.

They go in a landraider redeemer with an HQ.

I am testing several options.

Captain with 2 LC and terminator armour was a good one, I love the higher I and massive amount of attacks

Next I will try Cassius since I like the rerolls and Cassius is a force on his own.

What do you guys use and why?

Hiya,

I don't use assault termies that often (I prefer tactical termies) but when I do I like to team them up with a chappie in TDA. The rerolling of missed hits on the charge is an Emperor-send and really improves the damage output of the assault termies. Couple that with the under-used lightning claws and you are rerolling missed hits and to-wounds on the charge. Not too shabby that :down: Then you hit him with your thunder hammers!!! (still rerolling missed hits)

Pop the six of them in your crusader and watch the enemy fall apart when you charge out at him!!!

Personally I'd prefer a Captain with relic blade and digi weapons in artificer armour. Can handle a broader range of targets than the TDA lightning claw version and looks cooler IMO. Plus, TDA on Captain's is an overpriced upgrade when you consider that artificer armour is cooler. It may look cool, but it's better to go artificer every time.

Cassius is a good choice, and a Libby can be a good choice. Keep him hidden in the Raider, or equip him with TDA and a storm shield and use him on the frontline, possibly with a force axe then.

I like to run a Chaplain with my Terminators, because the rerolls to hit are invaluable. Cassius is an absolute STEAL, and is a brute in a challenge against anything without S6+. If you want the flexibility to be able to deepstrike the squad, take a Chaplain in TDA. Of course, deepstriking Assault Terminators isn't the smartest idea...

In the past I've run Vulkan with my hammernators as he makes their hammers master crafted, which is a cheap version of a chaplain on the charge but works even if you get charged. That's part of the trade-off. For you this will be less effective since you have LCs mixed in with your hammers.

Cassius is a great option considering his stats and cost. If you're going to run a chaplain who doesn't have a bike or jump pack Cassius is the best option. Since you run them in a redeemer you'll most likely get a charge in so you'll do a lot of damage with Cassius attached, or any chaplain for that matter.

A captain as you described will add more brute force to your squad. Since assault terminators tend to be overkill in assault anyway the captain may not add a whole lot more to the squad compared to any chaplain except the extra attack and wound.

Something DarkGuard mentioned is the librarian in TDA with storm shield. This is also a great choice. The Storm shield makes the libby even more survivable in combat and the powers he can have add a lot to the performance of your assault terminators. Avenger and Null Zone spring to mind immediately for pre-charge softening and nullifying good invul saves, respectively, while Vortex of Doom is viable with TDA. If you're into picking the 6th ed powers, Biomancy can make your libby a combat monster with Iron Arm and Warp Speed, or support friendly units with Endurance or by Enfeebling enemy units. Life Leech can also help keep a libby at full strength by causing wounds before you charge. If you go with a TDA libby I strongly recommend a Force Axe as his weapon for the +1S since the Storm Shield should keep him alive long enough to strike in combat.

In summary, a captain adds more power to the squad through his personal attributes while a chaplain enables the squad itself to do more damage, but only on the charge, and the librarian can either support the squad or be an individual boost depending on the powers you choose or roll to receive.

Archived