Iron Hands Sarge (artwork)

So, brothers, just a go at experimentation in drawing astartes plate, as well as a chance to expand upon the limited imagery of the IHs.

Apologies for the picture quality, as my scanner is being irritating, and my phone camera had to suffice. Messed about a bit with contrast to try and compensate.

Anyhow, without further ado, I present:

Sergeant Kredach, 2nd Tactical Clave - Clan Karguul

gallery_53779_7654_411061.jpg

C&C very much welcome :)

errrrrrrrr.....lets just say his right leg is on an invisible rock - to be honest my original intention was to draw in a bit of the terrain he is standing on to make it obvious, but my attention span hit me in the face, and I decided to let it rest rather than muck about with it any more

and, yeah some of the proportions are a bit clueless, in part due to the fact I did the waist up first and then did his legs afterwards, rather than sketching it out all at once - silly me :)

I'm going to say your style and detailing is reminiscent of Greyall's work, which you should receive as high praise indeed.

Proportions and posing need work, obviously.

Did you model the head on Jes Goodwin's Veteran Sergeant with Poweraxe? I think you did.

@AlexCrute

thanks, comparing it to Greyall's work is an incredible compliment

I didn't intentionally model it on any specific SM head, but now you mention it, I may have subconciously been thinking of it

@Dark Apostle Thirst

yeah, the cog-aquilla was my attempt at expanding the IHs imagery a bit, I was originally intending to use it halved as a symbol for a new clan, but I think it fits well as a generic motif representing their mixed beliefs worshipping the omnissiah / emperor

The chainmail was also an attempt to do something similar, as I like the idea of them using it in place of robes / other cloth you would find in other chapters, to symbolise their resolute nature (It originally comes from Fulgrim, where Ferrus Mannus comes aboard the Emperors Children' fleet wering a chainmail cloak) and help set them apart a little more

I really like the cog/aquila :)

Ditto, I always regret having no talent for graphic design.

Fanatic, do you have any objection to me pinching it for use on the Sergeant of my Veteran Clave?

I will also do a bit of pinching :confused:

This is great Fanatic, you do the Tenth proud! Any more pics that you are hiding? ;)

@Yodhrin

Use it at will, hopefully it'll be less of a pain in the *** to get right on a mini than it was for this

@BassWave

Again, feel free. There are a couple of WIPs I've been meaning to finish, but nothing of the 10th at the moment. However, there's an idea for an Iron Father that I think I'll have a toy with, but I can't promise it'll be that soon ^_^

Superb line work man. It has a very western-comic-book feel to it.

As you've acknowledged already, the proportions are off, which is a shame really, because you're quite good. Do you have any formal art training? I ask because a lot of people have a knack for drawing (like you obviously do), but never study the human figure in depth. Those wooden manaquin thingees help a lot for this. Or any book on human anatomy for artists.

By the way, if you scroll the screen such that the legs are cut off at the bottom, it looks even better. You could crop the feet out or cover the ground with dead xenos.

This is also the type of artwork that a colorist would love to get their hands on. The lines are so clear that's it begging for color.

Again, keep up the good work man.

-CH

@ Captain Hwarang

The most formal art qualification Ive got is an art GCSE when I was 16. I do have access to some reference material, but because it was only an experiment (my normal style is usually very sketchy, so a straight-line drawing is a bit of a departure) I didn't really consider using it.

Cheers

IHF

• 4 weeks later...

Archived