A few questions...

aioannou

Hi Guys,

Basically after another hiatus whilst I've been at Uni I am now working and would like to begin painting 40k again in the evenings. I have always played DA but have always stuck to the standard green.

With the new codex coming out and the new starter set ordered I am thinking of doing AoA but have a few questions.

1) Would AoA use the traditional DA iconography as well as their own Half wing on the sword?

2) What colour would AoA robes be? (As cream on white would not look good)

3) Would AoA have their own colour for RW and DW? Or fluff wise do they not have their own?

4) Any notable character in AoA that you may know that I can incorporate?

Just after a bit of feedback really, I would like to paint up a "fluff" correct force even if its not to play (struggle to find time to game with work/rugby) and figured you guys would know best.

I'm pretty much in the same boat with lack of playing, but still wanting to paint up a force of AoA (that I've been building for about six years...). Different reason (moved away from an area with a group that plays to one without...), but still...

1. I don't think there's anything that says. I still use them, though, because I like them and they'd be too hard to remove in some instances.

2. It's not a robe, but the current codex has a pic of an example wearing a green tabard. That's what I decided go with (using a purple interior, because I like the look). I don't know if there's a general concensus, though.

3. I haven't seen anything that says otherwise, so I just go straight bone all around.

4. No idea if there's anything maybe in the Forge World books, but I haven't seen anything yet. I'm hoping for one in the next codex.

Hi aioannonu. As it happens I was reading the section on successor chapters recently so I know exactly where to find some of the answers.

They [Dark Angels successors] all have formations which are similar to the Deathwing and Ravenwing Companies, although they are not named as such. Some of these chapters use special uniforms and markings for these units while others do not.

Which appears to be a long-winded way of saying paint 'em however you like. :D The same goes for the robes. Whatever colour you think looks good. On this forum alone I've seen Unforgiven chapters sporting blue, green, brown, red, white, black and purple robes.

I can't think of any named individuals from Dark Angels successor chapters.

Cactus & Supernaut, thanks for the quick reply!

Looks like AoA is going to be a popular chapter!

I was thinking of instead of using a brown wash to use a dark green wash instead, in an attempt to keep the "green theme" linking AoA to dark angels as well.

I shall have a look online outside of B&C for characters etc as I just think it would be nice to paint a force that has some fluff behind it, in lieu of not be able to play that much.

Also the Grey Knights box set has some amazing pieces for conversion into DA, something I never saw before back in "my day" when 2nd edition ruled!

You're welcome. I'm always glad to see another veteran of 2nd edition. :)

I suspect greenish-bone will look a bit manky, but try it on a single model. I could be wrong.

One mini I have seen for AoA had dark green robes high-lighted up to a mid green. I think the dark green contrasts well with the bone, which will be important on tanks and large models. I also like the green cause it ties in with the DA's , but as mentioned what ever looks good to you is your best bet.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Angel...olutionmini.jpg

Edit....the above is no longer the best AoA mini I have seen, cheak out xnickbaranx models....sweet!

I've seen green tabbards and I did my own vets in a muted brown earth tone (graveyard earth) to maintain the monastic look. My first AoA robed vet pre-dated the green tabbard photo that appeared in How to Paint Space Marines and then appeared in the 4th Ed C:DA so I didn't have a template to work with. I think the logical options are brown, green, black, or red. The first legion colors or he muted monastic look I went for. Get too colorful and you break from the look and feel I think.

AoA vets were pictured in one of the Siege of Vraks books and have a red stripe on their helm and gold rims on their shoulder pads with individual heraldry.

Swords and wings are universal motifs for most of the Unforgiven linking them back to the parent Legion. Angels of Absolution have the winged skull as their identifying mark however so that always takes precedence. Luckily you can mod Ravenwing shoulder pads into AoA pads with a little work. Its also pretty easy to paint their symbol.

As for the colors of the Ravenwing/Deathwing - they were said to be bone white in the 3rd Ed C:DA. In a preprint of the 4th Ed thC:DA they were named Wardens/Shriven but that detail was cut from the actaul print.

I've done an AoA (sort of) color scheme for my DA successor. One of the main divergences that I did was to not even use the half wing emblem for the chapter, I used just an upside down sword mostly without wings... no one had posted a sheet of transfers to print off when I had started, and free-handing that emblem properly was out of my skill range at the time =S. Turns out the AoA emblem is pretty difficult to master imho

Bottom line is this though: the army is still very clearly Dark Angel, even without the 'proper' symbols and emblems and it looks very striking in the field. Do whatever you feel is right, as it's your time/effort involved. I don't think anyone would try to fault you if you still used DA emblems on your AoA. It'd be kind of like faulting a flesh tearer army for having the blood drops from BA models...

Best of luck in your endeavors, and welcome back to the Rock!

Guys, thanks for all the help.

Just found out I will be getting even more rugby coaching now so I will not have any time to play but atleast I can paint.

I am going to go for:

Angels of Absolution

4th Company (Green Rimmed Pads)

White Stripes on veterans

Green Robes

Black/Very Dark Green Bolters with red stripe detailing.

Traditional DA TC squad markings of the <-II->

Going to try and knock up a tester marine this week if I can find enough bits in my bits box.

Have found some fluff regarding the AoA having close ties with both RW and DW and the capture of some fallen angels, which should be useful and will go through some BL books trying to find some character/squad names.

Just as a note (keeping in mind you're free to do as you like with your models): The Dark Angels (and one would assume their successors, by extension and the images shown in the Codices) do not use shoulder pad trim to designate their company as dictated by the Codex: Astartes. Instead there is company heraldry that is painted on the knee armor (which knee varies based on the edition of the codex), unique to each of the 2nd-9th companies.

Instead there is company heraldry that is painted on the knee armor (which knee varies based on the edition of the codex), unique to each of the 3rd-9th companies.

Fixed that for you. <_<

Instead there is company heraldry that is painted on the knee armor (which knee varies based on the edition of the codex), unique to each of the 3rd-9th companies.

Fixed that for you. :P

You know, I started typing 2nd, and said to myself: "Self, the 2nd company is the RW and doesn't wear company heraldry on the knee. You need to make that say 3rd." And so, to myself I replied "You know what, me, you're right. Let's get that fixed right up." And then I didn't.

Fixed that for you. :)

You know, I started typing 2nd, and said to myself: "Self, the 2nd company is the RW and doesn't wear company heraldry on the knee. You need to make that say 3rd." And so, to myself I replied "You know what, me, you're right. Let's get that fixed right up." And then I didn't.

One of those yous must have known a pedant like me would sort it out. Why do the work yourself if somebody else will? :wub:

I have half a mind now to paint little Ravenwing symbols on the knees of my bikers.

Fixed that for you. :wub:

One of those yous must have known a pedant like me would sort it out. Why do the work yourself if somebody else will? ^_^

I have half a mind now to paint little Ravenwing symbols on the knees of my bikers.

From which Company? :)

Archived