Charging into cover conundrum

J!MM!L!C!OUS

Hi,

Been playing against my mate and a situation has cropped up a couple of times where we can't agree on a satisfactory resolution....

Imagine Unit A and Unit B.

Unit B is in area terrain, however a couple of the models in Unit B are only partially in the area terrain, on the northern most edge (IE half in half out).

Unit A approaches from the North and charges Unit B.

Now, in the old 5th edition rulebook that would clearly count as charging a unit in cover. However, in the 6th edition rulebook its less cut and dry.

In 6th, as far as I can see, you only count as charging through cover if the charging unit literally traverses cover on the most direct route to the enemy unit. In my example, with some of Unit B poking a turtles head outside of the area terrain, technically Unit A wouldn't have to pass through any terrain to meet them.

So what do you think? Does this mean that Unit A doesn't have to go through cover to meet them, and can therefore conduct a charge as normal without any skull buggery? Or does Unit B count as being in cover and therefore let the skull buggery commence?

Thoughts please, with sources if possible!

Would a successful charge cause any of the assaulting models to enter the terrain to make base contact with an unengaged model? If you have 10 dudes in your assaulting unit, and only 5 of the 10 enemy are outside terrain, half your guys are going to have to attempt to reach the 5 enemies who are in cover, which will require a terrain test.

Lets say 5 models in Unit B are half in and half out of area terrain (as described before), and there's only 5 models in Unit A charging - you're suggesting this would equate to no terrain test, as all of Unit A can get to base contact with models in Unit B without going through terrain?

So if theres 10 models in Unit A, then the first five go to the closest (the half and halfers) and the rest go through cover to get at the remaining models in Unit B - In this circumstance you're suggesting that a terrain test is neccesary?

So simply put, if there's more models in the assualting unit than the defending one that are half and half this would equate to a terrain test?

You got it, if awkwardly phrased.

Basically, if models in your unit can reach a model that's in cover, and have to get into BTB with it because of the 2nd bullet point on p.21, then you must take a DT test for the whole unit.

Also, only the closest model has to go to the closest enemy. The others are free to move to whatever model they wish, as long as they follow the three bullets on p.21.

Yeah I been wondering this to, no arguements yet.

But does this mean that you could end up rolling the charge distance twice, because lets say I roll a twelve with unit A which is 10 models strong. That means some of my models could easily get into B2B with units in the Terrain.

Do I have to put units in b2b with the units in terrain?

Which would mean a DT test, which means another dice roll, not sure if reroll all dice or just add another dice to the initial charge distance, minus the highest of course.

Or can I just put say 4 or 5 in B2B, if they fit, with the units out of terrain and then move other models in behind my models that a already in B2B, even though they could make the distance to the models in terrain.

Kinda asking his question again.

Basically, if models in your unit can reach a model that's in cover, and have to get into BTB with it because of the 2nd bullet point on p.21, then you must take a DT test for the whole unit.

Also, only the closest model has to go to the closest enemy. The others are free to move to whatever model they wish, as long as they follow the three bullets on p.21.

There's a flaw though - You can only find out if you have enough movement points to reach an enemy in cover after you have rolled for the charge distance. So If you roll as normal, you may find that you have enough points to reach a model in cover (in which case, surely you can't go back and do it again, as you may find out you then don't have enough movement points to get to the model in cover, and thus woudl have to roll again without the terrain test... and the loop continues)

Heh, excuse the awkward phrasing, it's a prickly one to try and explain ;)

Not really. You always know your max charge distance: 12". If it's possible that, with a good roll (12", duh), you can reach those models in cover, then you must take roll the DT. Simple. My answer in my first post still stands without a problem.

@King Willy: See my post above yours ;)

Not really. You always know your max charge distance: 12". If it's possible that, with a good roll (12", duh), you can reach those models in cover, then you must take roll the DT. Simple. My answer in my first post still stands without a problem.

Exactly this.

Remember that it is now 100% legal to premeasure any distance at any time. So, before declaring your charge both you and your opponent can measure things up, determine that a charge would require models to engage enemies in cover, and roll the difficult terrain charge distance instead of the normal one.

The easiest way to figure it out without premeasuring is simply coutning the models in your unit, as compared to the models outside of cover in the enemy unit.

There's a flaw though - You can only find out if you have enough movement points to reach an enemy in cover after you have rolled for the charge distance. So If you roll as normal, you may find that you have enough points to reach a model in cover (in which case, surely you can't go back and do it again, as you may find out you then don't have enough movement points to get to the model in cover, and thus woudl have to roll again without the terrain test... and the loop continues)

The way my group addresses this problem is, each model in the assaulting unit draws a straight line to its nearest enemy model (note, not the assaulting unit's enemy model, but the assaulting model's enemy model). If any of those lines cross terrain, the whole assaulting unit rolls for difficult terrain. We recognize that models don't necessarily have to move in this straight line (apart from the initial assaulter), but this method seems to find a good balance between what models can do and what they will have to do once the dice are rolled and models begin to move. Thus far, it's worked well for us.

1. Count number of models in assaulting unit and target unit that are in the open.

2. If the former is higher, check range from the 2nd closest assaulting model to closest model that's in cover.

3. If said model is within 12", you roll for DTA. (Difficult Terrain Assault)

Easy, simple, clean, and by the book :lol:.

1. Count number of models in assaulting unit and target unit that are in the open.

2. If the former is higher, check range from the 2nd closest assaulting model to closest model that's in cover.

3. If said model is within 12", you roll for DTA. (Difficult Terrain Assault)

Easy, simple, clean, and by the book

Since you're claiming "by the book," mind pointing to the pages within the rulebook where this method is written?

Note, I think this is a viable way to go about assaults. But to claim "by the book" as if this method was RAW? No.

Archived