Full Drop Pod Army

Mattias

I know that this isn't the rules forum, but the all drop pod army might actually be impossible. I know about special rules for dedicated transports, and the units in them - but you have to have a HQ somewhere, and most of them cannot take a Drop Pod by themselves. Say you put Pedro in a pod with 10 sterngaurd. The Sterngaurd and the drop pod count as one unit, and don't count as a unit (in terms of "half your army" since they MUST start in reserve), but it seems to me that Pedro would HAVE to be balanced by a unit starting on the board...

Like I said, I am not trying to start a big rules debate, but (unless I am missing something), this whole thread might be moot.

You can reserve 50 percent of your force rounding up. So that will allow you to field all drop pod units and one HQ attached to one of the. If you wanted a second HQ they would have to deploy normally.

I usually alleviate this issue by taking landspeeder typhoons- good all around firepower, and they are better deployed behind terrain and then popping out to wreck faces/light vehicles as needed.

I will try to alleviate this by having two packs of Long Fangs. Risky I know.

I know that this isn't the rules forum, but the all drop pod army might actually be impossible. I know about special rules for dedicated transports, and the units in them - but you have to have a HQ somewhere, and most of them cannot take a Drop Pod by themselves. Say you put Pedro in a pod with 10 sterngaurd. The Sterngaurd and the drop pod count as one unit, and don't count as a unit (in terms of "half your army" since they MUST start in reserve), but it seems to me that Pedro would HAVE to be balanced by a unit starting on the board...

Like I said, I am not trying to start a big rules debate, but (unless I am missing something), this whole thread might be moot.

You can reserve 50 percent of your force rounding up. So that will allow you to field all drop pod units and one HQ attached to one of the. If you wanted a second HQ they would have to deploy normally.

Incorrect. All-pod armies CAN be done. Pods and the units deployed inside of them do not count towards the 50% rule -- see the new BGB FAQ posted on the GW site today, page 6:

Q: Do units that are transported in a vehicle that MUST start in

reserve count towards the number of units that can be placed in

Reserves? For example, must I count the units in a Drop Pod or

Valkyrie towards the 50% of units I can place in Reserves? (p124)

A: No.

Note that it just says "units." Not "units selecting the vehicle as a dedicated transport." So that means that HQs attached to those units likewise do not count to the 50% Reserve limit. All pod is a go!

Archived