Using Dark Vengeance Dark Angels as allies

Uhric_Duval

I decided to get the dark vengeance starter mostly because of the kick ass chaos models I can add to my iron warriors. But then I got to thinking maybe I'd like to do something with those awesome DA models as well!

So I turn to you, the experts. I own Crimson Fists and Black Templar armies I could use to take advantage of the "battle brothers" rules. Are the starter models a good basis for allies, or should I look into more Deathwing/Ravenwing?

I decided to get the dark vengeance starter mostly because of the kick ass chaos models I can add to my iron warriors. But then I got to thinking maybe I'd like to do something with those awesome DA models as well!

So I turn to you, the experts. I own Crimson Fists and Black Templar armies I could use to take advantage of the "battle brothers" rules. Are the starter models a good basis for allies, or should I look into more Deathwing/Ravenwing?

If you want to add some scoring termies, get yourself a termie Master(Belial) and between him, the DW and the RW bikes you have a nice little DA ally force.

I wouldn't bother with the green elements of the force, you can do that with better/cheaper rules in C:SM

I would seriously look at things in about 2 months when we're expecting the new DA codex. DA might have some more worthwhile rules for their standard marines too.

In the meantime you'd either have to convert a model to be 'Belial' for which no standard model currently exists, so you can take the Deathwing squad as troops (they're normally elites). You can however Deathwing Assault with them which is kinda nice even if you just take them in an 'elite' slot. Dark Vengeance does give you a nice minimum Deathwing Assault and Beacon setup. Even if none of them are troops the Ravenwing can guide the Deathwing in with their teleport homers.

If you wanted the Ravenwing as troops (normally Fast Attack) you'd need to build Sammael (either the jetbike or speeder variant). I recommend the speeder version as it should be cheaper. The parts you need should be easy to get from a Dark Angel player as each Ravenwing sprue comes with enough parts to make the Speeder variant of Sammael, and we all probably have bought multiple Ravenwing sprues. Then you just need a land speeder. Plus the speeder is a bit more useful than 'bullet magnet jetbike'.

Sadly at this point Ravenwing aren't really worth adding to an army in a squad of 3. They're less survivable than they were (their I save is now 4 plus if they boost as opposed to 3 plus before 6th). They're fearless (which means they can't use "Our weapons are useless" and tend to get stuck in combat and eaten by big stuff they can't hurt. They do have Outflank which is nice for pitching up and firing your plasma gun at something's rear armor, after which they'll all probably die.

Personally I think the high cost doesn't make them worth it for allies just yet.

I think they make a good starter for allies, if you drop the Librarian (especially if you got the Chappy). Despite some negative thoughts on GW, they are still really viable as a troop choice. I would say that they make a good start for an allied force of DA. As others have said, though, DW really are the best choice with the current dex, though this may change in the next few months.

It would be nice to see what your primary lists are as well, in order to provide some tactical feedback on best uses for the troops.

Well Templars has the same advantage as Dark Angels: we can take a HW in a squad of five. I myself ally with the Templars when I feel a need for a Black tide or a cheap LS Typhoon.

I know that dual CML is appealing, but like Stobz said you should use our DW, fearless scoring termis is equally appealing.

I think they make a good starter for allies, if you drop the Librarian (especially if you got the Chappy). Despite some negative thoughts on GW, they are still really viable as a troop choice. I would say that they make a good start for an allied force of DA. As others have said, though, DW really are the best choice with the current dex, though this may change in the next few months.

It would be nice to see what your primary lists are as well, in order to provide some tactical feedback on best uses for the troops.

Well, my 2000 point lists for CF and Templars typically look something like this:

Crimson Fists

Pedro

Librarian

x10 Tac Squad

-Pfist, M Launcher, Flamer, Rhino

x10 Tac Squad

-Pfist, Multimelta, Meltagun, Rhino

x8 Sternguard

-x4 combi melta, Pfist, Droppod

x8 Sternguard

x4 combi plasma, Pfist, Droppod

Dreadnaught

MM, Droppod

x3 Landspeeders

-MM, HF

x5 Devastator Squad

-x4 HB

Thunderfire Cannon

Aegis Def line

Black Templars

Marshal

-Terminator armor, Lightning claw, Storm Shield

Emperor's Champion

-Accept any Challenge

x10 Crusaders

-Pfist, meltagun, Rhino x2 neophytes

x9 Crusaders

-Pfist, meltagun, Rhino x2 neophytes

x10 Crusaders

-boltguns, plasma gun, Rhino

x7 Assault Termis

-x4 LCs, x3 Th/SS, Land Raider Crusader

x3 Landspeeder Typhoons

Predator

-x3 Las

Vindicator

-PotMS

I've got other models in both collections but I consider these the foundations of most of my lists. The BT one needs tinkering for 6th still but its a start.

x7 Assault Termis

-x4 LCs, x3 Th/SS, Land Raider Crusader

Well for the Templar list, I might try to fit Deathwing in the place of your current assault terminators. You loose two terminators but gain Belial to lead them (come up with a Belial model proxy and you can just use your Templars and tell your opponent they are Deathwing if he doesn't mind).

I would even leave them with a similar set up (or mostly hammers with maybe only Belial and one other w/claws). Though I tend to try to get the Apothecary before the banner - I think the banner would really come in handy given their assault job. And of course, in the end, if they survive after destroying everyone, they are still troops.

That doesn't really use the box set though, so you could always work in those Deathwing as a second shooty group - more of an objective sitter (I would prefer the CML, but the AC can work).

Alternatively, you could just leave your Templar Terminators as is and work in the shooty Deathwing anyway.

Our Typhoons are slightly cheaper than C:SM - this might be the same case for Templars. Save some points by replacing one of your current Templar Typhoons with a Ravenwing one.

I'm not a fan of bikers in their current incarnation. They are pricey and the fearless just doesn't work for a unit that isn't really that durable - but they did get a buff in 6th with T5.

Archived