Alpha legion

Fire Golem

As i understand it, the alpha legion aren't as mutated as other legions. I have 2 questions:

1: Would i be able to use loyal marine parts, eg i love the blood angel models, would i be able to mix those parts with other space marines and chaos space marines, with the alpha legion colour scheme, to good result?

2: Would there still be some mutated alpha legion?

Thank you

Yes to both.

Chaos marines scavenge what they can, so will use loyalist parts to replace their own armour that has stopped functioning.

Some alphas would willingly give themselves to chaos. The armount of corruption in your warband is entirely up to you.

Cool, glad to hear it :huh:

Fluffwise i was thinking the alpha legion had just fought the blood angels, and had used their armour and supplies to cover losses?

And the mutations thing was because i love the dark vengance models, and my girlfriend said she's gonna get me it for christmas.

Alpha Legion is insidious in that it is known to sometimes masquerade as imperial chapters, using loyalist armours, so it would hardly be a problem if you used smurf armour and painted that alpha colours. In the fluff, that could just be the Alpha "de-masking" and spray painting their stolen loyalist armours into Alpha colurs etc.

Alpha Legion is a very interesting legion in so many ways :huh:

As i understand it, the alpha legion aren't as mutated as other legions. I have 2 questions:

1: Would i be able to use loyal marine parts, eg i love the blood angel models, would i be able to mix those parts with other space marines and chaos space marines, with the alpha legion colour scheme, to good result?

Thank you

Yes and yes.

Scanvenge loyalist parts when your own armor is shot up, or use loyalist parts to create confusion about who these guys really are. "Why are they sporting the Ultra Marines logo.... and killing loyalists...?"

And yes, some AL marines would be more or less mutated. Remember it's been 10K since the heresy. Much has happened. Many a year spent in the warp and become tainted. Some have turned to the dark gods and been granted boons, and some may even be possessed.

Its also worth noting that they are driven into an indescribable rage at the first sign of metal bawkses, and believe anyone who employs the use of rhinos are both cowards and Fewls.

You know, if you want to play fluffy...

Haha, my internet literally just pooped everywhere. That'll teach me to make fun of games I love :P

I believe only mods have the ability to delete posts? I leave this in your hands :)

Thank you

Yes and yes.

Scanvenge loyalist parts when your own armor is shot up, or use loyalist parts to create confusion about who these guys really are. "Why are they sporting the Ultra Marines logo.... and killing loyalists...?"

And yes, some AL marines would be more or less mutated. Remember it's been 10K since the heresy. Much has happened. Many a year spent in the warp and become tainted. Some have turned to the dark gods and been granted boons, and some may even be possessed.

Hmm, do they even live in the warp? I thought they were spread all over the empire (within) in lesser cells etc.

But I guess some of them might live in the warp. 10 000 years as you say. Then again. are they really actually adherants of the Dark Gods ? :P Who knows, maybe they are still loyal to the Emperor in their own...special way ^_^

I guess some have summer villas in the warp or in the Maelstrom, but most of the legion is spread throughout imperial space. Though this doesn't mean that they are wholly without corruption, the influence of the dark gods extends beyond the eye and maelstrom, though not as strongly. And consider also that they have access to the primarch data and are considered to along with the Night Lords to have a purer geneseed than the rest of the traitors...so it could go either way really...

It's your warband, do what you think is cool!

Interesting bunch, the Brothers of the Hydra, in that even they don't seem to be quite sure where their loyalties lie, or what their over-arching agenda is. Recent fiction seems to suggest that there are profound schisms (or even more profound conspiracies and double bluffs) within the legion, meaning that some portions are entirely loyal to Horus and his rebellion, or at least to some wider principle derived there from, some see to be operating a deeply clandestine agenda to make Chaos "burn itself out" through excess, whereas others are up to all sorts of shenanigans in which various different conflicting agendas, loyalties, beliefs and principles have become obscured or distorted over time. Put simply, no one's quite sure what any particular Alpha Legion force is fighting for, least of all the Alpha Legion themselves.

This, coupled with their scattered nature (it is postulated that factions of the Alpha Legion operate all over the material universe, within the Eye of Terror and all over the shop) means that an Alpha Legion force can be anything you want it to be: an organised, martial force that follows the original principles of the Primarchs Alpharius and Omegon, a force that is loyal to one of the twins but not the other; warbands that have broken away from the primary legion entirely and now operate their own idiosyncratic agendas.

Also, the propensity to camouflage, disguise and otherwise obscure themselves makes conversion potential huge. They are also one of those wonderful forces in 40K that comes complete with very specific imagery: the Hydra is their spiritual symbol, meaning that you could tailor mutations or armour designs to reflect this (a many headed Daemon Prince would be quite fitting and spectacular).

There have been several mentions of the Alphas in connection to the Eye, and to being corrupted. The account of the fall of the Emperor's Swords in C:CSM states that the Alphas involved "broke out of the Eye of Terror," indicating that their main force was sheltering there, while their IA article gives an example of Alphas attacking an Imperial world waiting until they were literally charging into combat and throwing aside robes and cloaks to reveal horrible Chaos mutations, adding an immense amount of shock value to their assault.

So whether they turned for good reasons or ill, the Alphas of "today" are irretrievable corrupted and Chaos-ified.

To complement what Ferrum said, there was AL warband named Faitless, that resided within Eye and their leader allowed himself to be possessed by deamons.

So IMO it all goes down to what you want to do with your warband: You can createrelatively uncorrupted warband, or heavily mutated force or something between.

Archived