Combat Against The Guard

Captain Juan Juarez

I'd like help some based on the following points, in defeating my friends Imperial Guard:

A. His army is foot slogging with not vehicles, bar maybe a Sentinel or three.

B. My army is designed to counter armour, as that is the majority of what my friends play with (Marines or MEQ) so I lack anti-Guard weapons like Flamers.

C. It's going to be a low level points game to beging with, 650/700 points - all my friend has ready to go with.

I did post up a list in the C:SM Army List forum which wasn't suitable but I don't feel I can field a pure anti-guard force given the way my Marines are armed.

My stuff:

Captain

JP Captain

JP Chappy

1 x Tactical (10) (Meltagun and Missile launcher x2)

1 x Scout (5) (Bolters and Heavy Bolter)

1 x Assault Squad (5)

Dev Squad (2x Plasma, 2xHeavy Bolter)

Bike Squad (3)

Attack Bike (MM)

1 x Rhino

For tactics, I'd generally try and engage in CC when I can but even at such a low level of points I'm going to be seriously outnumbered I feel and so could lose out via weight of attacks but the same can be said about a ranged fight too.

You've got the right idea. A 10-man unit of assault marines with attached JP Chappy will make mincemeat out of an equal points value of guard infantry, barring Ogryns or Straken. Don't worry about being outnumbered - SM's are almost always outnumbered! Just make him take more losses in CC than you, have him fail his leadership check, and run the rest of the unit down. A commissar will make this less likely, but it'll just be a matter of time.

Bikes will do all right as well in CC - he'll need to roll 6's to wound!

Try 2 minimal tac squads, with 10-man Assault marines and the bikes for your strike force. Put the attack bike in front to absorb any overwatch fire, and have both the assault marines and bikes charge the same unit on the same turn - he can only overwatch fire one of the units this way.

Bring the bikes, and if you can get a biker-captain so theyre scoring. Stay back out of lasgun range early on and hit his heavy weapon squads with frag templates, plasmacannons and heavy bolters until theyre MIA. Consider getting a brace of HF/MM landspeeders, or typhoons, for extra firepower if you have the cash.

Use infiltrating scouts to tie up his blobs or deal out shots from cover, depending on your taste.

Id honestly leave the assault squads at home unless you play with a healthy amount of terrain. You can out-range him, so dont close in with C:SM vs his IG until hes already bleeding.

Generally, trying to out-shoot IG at range is a bad idea....they can pack in a lot more firepower than we can, especially with the OP's list of available units. There's not way a dev squad and a couple of tac squads will out-shoot a foot guard list. Remember - chop the shooty and shoot the choppy!

@Basswave - I think the challengee can choose which model to accept the challenge with, and an IG blob has up to 5 sergeants to sacrifice before you get to the commissar(s).

My advice would be to use your mobility to approach behind terrain like hills and forests. Attack on one of his flanks, then roll up his line, using your rhinos to help screen your troops (who will be winning close combat.) Deny him the return fire against your men as much as possible, or the las guns will kill you with weight of numbers.

Worst thing to do is attack across his entire line, with all his guns able to fire. If he lacks templates, bunch your men up as much as possible. Throw grenades into his tightly packed units, before you assault. Remember that your pistols have bolter rounds that will kill the average guardsman, so be careful on your charge range.

Honestly? Fork over the cash for a Thunderfire Cannon. They're in Finecast now, so it shouldn't be the nightmare assembling that the pewter ones were (I have two of 'em, I know). They grind through foot Guard with atrocious ease, and they're cheap (in points) so should be able to find some easy room in an army that small.

Advance into cc with tac squads, use assault squad with chap to tie up any guns capable of killing marines while you advance. You will take casualties due to sheer numbers but will beat them due to SM superiority at cc and protracted firefights.

One of the best weapons against foot guard is the bolter! rapid fire your heart out kill 10~12 in a normal round of shooting, hell on a 40 man blob thats a morale check before you even fired whatever special weapon you have in the squad.

Also remember missile launcher Devastators are your friend!

Do you know if your opponent fields an Aegis Defense Line? If so, that makes your job harder by a factor of 2. You absolutely will not win a gunfight with IG who are behind an ADL. You will be forced to close with them in order to flush the Guardsmen out of that 4+ cover.

Cheers for the advice provided guys.

Shiny, nope he has no terrain.. Although he's kept his hand in the hobby, this is first real effort to get an army together.

I don't predict any surprises from him particularly but my struggle is that I get very few bodies when the point limit is so low - it has to be low though for him to play as he builds his force.

I now, because I've been a very busy boy, have an expanded list of stuff to choose from but bear in mind they are all built so the equipment they have is what they have!

Captain, Storm Bolter & Power Sword/Relic Blade

Captain, 2x Power Sword/Relic Blade (this one just looks cool to me).

Captain, Jump Pack, Sword/Blade & Shield

Chaplain, Jump Pack, Crozius & Plasma Pistol

Tac Squad (10), Sarge w/ Power Fist and Plasma Pistol, Meltagun, Missile Launcher

Tac Squad (10), Sarge w/ Plasma Pistol and CCW, Flamer, Missile Launcher

Scout Squad (5), Sarge w/ Plasma Pistol and CCW, Heavy Bolter, Bolters

Sternguard (5), Sarge w/ 2x Plasma Pistol, Bolters

Assault Squad (5), Sarge w/ Power Axe and Shield, Plasma Pistol

Devestator Squad (5), Sarge w/ BP and CCW, 2x Heavy Bolter, 2x Plasma Cannon

Bike Squad (3), Sarge w/ Power Fist (I have two more bikes unbuilt, so could give them special weapons)

Attack Bike, Multi-Melta

Now, if you read that, bravo and cheers!

My intial thought was to base a list around:

Captain, SB & Power Sword

Tac Squad, Flamer Missile Launcher

Sternguard

Which is roughly 500 points out of the 700 and gives me 16 bodies, plenty of Bolters and some Sternguard special ammo.

As any commander take a look at post game history. Where is his strength? What is the key stroke of guard weakness?

700pts against guard...

If you have a chance read his rooster and see how he is setting his army to gear with. Troops heavy as it seems ... one big ass platoon of guard or split up of the toon into squads to be tactical. ... If you notice some funny things with guard in small games they lack range past 24" if you remove the heavy fire teams.

I don't know what the sentinels he maybe using but what are they doing to threaten you so much. You should have 20 Marines on the Deck if your doing your numbers right.

Do you have to follow for Organization?

Guessing you will have to...

Captain, Storm Bolter & Power Sword/Relic Blade

Captain, 2x Power Sword/Relic Blade (this one just looks cool to me).

Captain, Jump Pack, Sword/Blade & Shield

Chaplain, Jump Pack, Crozius & Plasma Pistol

Tac Squad (10), Sarge w/ Power Fist and Plasma Pistol, Meltagun, Missile Launcher

Tac Squad (10), Sarge w/ Plasma Pistol and CCW, Flamer, Missile Launcher

Scout Squad (5), Sarge w/ Plasma Pistol and CCW, Heavy Bolter, Bolters

Sternguard (5), Sarge w/ 2x Plasma Pistol, Bolters

Assault Squad (5), Sarge w/ Power Axe and Shield, Plasma Pistol

Devestator Squad (5), Sarge w/ BP and CCW, 2x Heavy Bolter, 2x Plasma Cannon

Bike Squad (3), Sarge w/ Power Fist (I have two more bikes unbuilt, so could give them special weapons)

Attack Bike, Multi-Melta

My first question would be ... are you painted set yet ... I would suggest a Liberian at a small scale use of points. The captain with the two swords could be a sub in for what your force weapon. I don't think guard have heavy 2+ armor saves so sword will cut them...

Secondly do you favor Missile launchers? I sub in heavy bolters into your tact squads... Guard don't like bolters... and they scream from heavy bolters. The str 5 should be decent at punching his light armor off the filed as well if you need to worry about them...

If points are set up right in my head maybeeeeee attack bike multi melta wheel in there to annoy some walking chickens, and pluck their feathers.

... in your second copy of your available models you didn't re-post a rhino. I didn't suggest it because I'm unsure your aggression on moving troops in the game.

If you can put enough fire power from the start of the game to remove anything over 36" ... he will be force to come to grips towards you to close 24"... That one heavy bolters to a crew of guard but they feel wounds alot better then marines do in the open. Keep your wits with you and a tape measure of the field as things move. Pick a direction of how you want to play the game. You got some great tactical use of marines... Hope to hear back on the Job well done report... Or else...

If you can put enough fire power from the start of the game to remove anything over 36" ... he will be force to come to grips towards you to close 24"... That one heavy bolters to a crew of guard but they feel wounds alot better then marines do in the open. Keep your wits with you and a tape measure of the field as things move. Pick a direction of how you want to play the game. You got some great tactical use of marines... Hope to hear back on the Job well done report... Or else...

That was my theory. Soften him up at range so hes wittled down to the point where you can safely advance and mop up.

Though frankly, with the way hes talking, I think just bring some terrain for the table might fix alot of your problems.

Archived