25th Anniversary Crimson Fist Space Marine

Pig Of Sparta

Thanks for all the comments guys:

@ Midnight Runner: Thanks mate, I used the same method when layering the highlights and the same grey (Ulthuan, one of my new favourite paints :)) mixed with the red and the blue to keep the tones similar.

@ Lestat: woo hoo, it worked. That was the look I was trying for as I felt that parade ground polished would have looked wrong on this mini. I like to think that he's actually one of the marines fighting in the defense of New Rynn City on Rynn's World.

@ Rider-75: on this mini I think it was something like this:

Basecoat Snakebite Leather

Wash Devlan Mud

Layer Snakebite Leather

Layer Snakebite Leather/Vomit Brown mix

Layer Snakebite Leather/more Vomit Brown mix

Layer pure Vomit Brown

Layer Vomit Brown/Bleached Bone mix

Layer Vomit Brown/more Bleached Bone mix

Layer pure Bleached Bone

Layer Bleached Bone/Ulthuan Grey mix

Layer pure Ulthuan Grey

Layer Ulthuan Grey/Skull White mix

Layer pure Skull White

Glaze Gryphonne Sepia and then another once this one's dried

Can you post up a photo of the NMM you've done? I'll try to offer some pointers if I can, not that I'm an expert but I'll do what I can. I've found that the more layers you have to smooth the transition between colours the better effect you'll have and also you need to make sure you're concentrating the highlights where the light would naturally play across the surface of what you're painting to give you the proper effect, hope that might be of some help...

@ Biohazard: thanks mate, I'm really happy with how the fist looks. I noticed that whoever painted the 'Eavy Metal one didn't have the blue strips on the fist but the marine in the artwork does so I had to, dare I say correct(?) that oversight :).

@ KhornateKiller: the base was done as follows:

Basecoat Chardon Granite

Drybrush Adeptus Battlegrey

Drybrush Khemri Brown

Drybrush Rotting Flesh

Drybrush Drybrush 50/50 Rotting Flesh/Ulthuan Grey

Drybrush Ulthuan Grey

for some reason that mix seemed to most closely match the ground in the artwork on the RT Rulebook, although to be honest I did that from memory as even though I own a copy of the RT book I haven't actually looked at it for ages!

@ Battle-Brother Ludovic: thanks :) I'm super-pleased with the banner as it's been so long since I painted a banner let alone did NMM. I can't wait to get him finish either as I've got a mountain of stuff to start getting paint on queueing up behind him :o.

cheers

James

Archived