Omega Marines

ravenguard2010

So I got into 40k back when I was twelve, and now it’s twelve years later and I keep coming back to it. Messing around with plastic soldiers is still so damn enjoyable! I haven't done much in the hobby for a couple of years now but still check in on the site from time to time and some of the things people make on here never fail to amaze me, and I've been inspired so much so lately that I'm embarking upon a new project.

However, I've got a small dilemma as I'm torn between two different chapters - Scythes of the Emperor or Omega Marines.

My playing style is very much about valuing each and every marine, and this matches the Scythes approach to warfare as they are trying to rebuild their chapter strength. They’re a lesser known chapter with a great colour scheme and that’s what is drawing me to them, but the same can be said for the Omega Marines, albeit with a lot less established canon on that end. That’s also appealing, as I can attempt some of my own fluff for them. I’m currently reading the Ravenor Trilogy and the cult in the second book gave me some ideas for the Omega Marines. The chapter name conjures up imagery of ending, and death, and I envisage them as being a secretive chapter preoccupied with such notions, perhaps being highly reliant on divining, and giving great weight to using methods of foresight such as the Emperor’s Tarot etc etc. I imagine the Librarians of the chapter to be heavily superstitious and preoccupied in such matters but calling the chapter to war whenever there are dire portents that must be addressed.

Anyway, I’ve been busy trialling an augmetic limb this afternoon using a Necron Lychguard leg, results of which can be seen below. It’s called for a total restructuring of the marine legs, so I’ve cut them up at the joints and pinned them into the new shape ready for greenstuffing later. I’m quite happy with the result so far, and it reminds me of the one that an old wolf guard metal model sports. I’m going to see about the Necron part sitting a bit better before I glue it together properly too.

gallery_55821_7662_63586.jpg

Anyway, my dilemma still remains - Scythes or Omegas!!??

:cuss Welcome back brother !

Great idea with that Necron leg ! It looks like a real prosthesis.

Regarding your chapter decision, this is a tuff one. Both are cool chapters and rare in the wargaming world. Both have a nice color scheme. I would go for Omege Marines, just because I hate painting yellow.

cheers

Welcome back to the hobby mate, it recaptures most of us eventually :cuss.

I'm really liking the look of that bionic leg. You're right it does look reminiscent of the classic Wolf Guard mini's one. As for your dilemma, I'd say pick whichever Chapter you think you'll enjoy painting/modelling the most. There's nothing worse than getting part way through a project and realising that you're not enjoying what you're doing, it makes it that much harder to see the project through. My advice for what it's worth would be to make and paint up a test mini for each Chapter if you can and see which one you like best while you're working on it and when you've finished. Might not work but I personally find I paint better when I'm really invested in what I'm working on.

Not to detract from any of what I just said but looking at the components you're got in your photo I'd be inclined to push towards the Scythes purely because you've got lots of different types of armour there. The Omega Marines might have that too but fluffwise the Scythes would make use of whatever armour they could lay their hands on to try to remain battle ready while they're re-building which is something to think about...

hope some of that waffle might prove useful

James

Cheers guys. You're right there about the armour mixes suiting the Scythes.. Definite food for thought. Noticed there's a couple of guys doing Scythes on here recently and they're doing a good job already so now thinking I might go with the Omegas though. Just a quick update on the librarian as I haven't had a lot of time this week to work on them. I'm going to greenstuff a chain on the book, the leg joints and small wires etc on the prosthesis 'seam.'

gallery_55821_7662_91319.jpg

I did some more work on the Tactical marine with a missile launcher earlier today. I'm going to be trying to make sure every marine has a decent level of conversion, whether by limb re-positioning or something more substantial. In regards to base decoration, I'm going to be trying to represent a hive / industrial world rather than my usual urban rubble preference, so have started on that theme here with some old mesh I found in my bits box.

gallery_55821_7662_54550.jpg

That horned skull is also very close to the typical Librarian icon (which I thought was your intention). You might consider turing the horns downward to be more akin to said icon if that is the intention - though I can't say if they will be on the right angle. Looks good either way.

Managed a little bit more work again on the rocket marine this morning (at this rate the End Of Times will arrive and these boys won't be about to do much about it!!) but I'm quite pleased with how this guy has turned out. Whilst the conversions aren't particularly eye popping, the model has plenty of subtle tweaks to make him that bit more interesting, I've tried to make it seem as though this guy is particularly bad ass and can heft the launcher with hardly any effort, totally at ease with it in one arm.

gallery_55821_7662_809.jpg

I toyed with a few different ways of going about making the chapter badge, but I've settled on a 3D skull, taken from the chaos spiky vehicle sprue, shaved down to hardly anything more than a wafer of plastic barely thin enough to keep the detailing intact, and greenstuffed into looking like a part of the armour. I'll be painting the omega symbol around it to match with the current iconography - Omega Marines Wiki

Whilst going through some latinate phrases online I came across two that I merged to create an appropriate motto for the chapter -

'Non Mortem timemus, mors ultima ratio.'

'We do not fear death, it is the final reckoning.'

• 3 weeks later...

A quick WIP paint shot for you all here. I've never really worked that much with washes in the past but I've decided to really start using them after reading some of the painting advice in the new White Dwarf, and I'm quite happy with the effect so far. I love the whole grim darkness ethos, so will be giving these marines the best gritty and realistic style paint job I can.

Still a lot of work to do here however.

gallery_55821_7662_33945.jpg

No Librarian update yet I'm afraid! plastering the spare room took priority this weekend, but I squeezed in some more painting on the rocket tactical guy. After taking this quick shot I can see that some of the ink has left a glossy effect in places, and I'm debating getting some weathering powder to dull that sheen down a little.

gallery_55821_7662_86972.jpg

Anyhow, he's getting there slowly. Just the squad markings, few tidy ups and the head to paint. I'm reasonably happy with the battle damage effect. It's a hard line to straddle between painting realistic battle damage and, well, just looking like you can't paint!!

Did I mention I HATE painting bare heads?? I usually end up ruining a model with a bare head, but I've learned from the past and I'm painting it separately just in case. I also found a good tutorial that I will follow to the letter. Wish me luck!

Archived