Where to go from Dark Vengance?

darnarth lysander

It really depends on what angle you want to go next. You need a second troop choice, OR you could invest in a Belial or a Sammael whereby you have a second troop choice.

Regardless, I would suggest investing in at least 3 more Bikes in order to make the unit survivable. One can run the Companu-Master as either a Company-Master or as Azrael, he has the same load out as the current Azzy.

I think it really depends on the approach you want to take with your army.

Scored what's in the box (excluding Chap) at 875 points. First things first, if you want a nice round 1000 point legal army just get a 5 man combat squad.

Playing with some lists in Army Builder I've worked out that if you can arrange a swap and get two sets of DA Dark Vengance models then a 1500 point army is easily achievable (Co. Master, Lib, 2xTacticals, 2xTerms, 6xBikes from DV) by adding an Attack Bike. Good solid foundation!

Bearing in mind new codex/AB with some new models coming soon, expect new flyer for example; adding some Command/Honour/Veteran squad would be short term idea as would picking up something heavy (if 2x Plasma Cannons not enough).

Chaos dedicated Fallen Angels, of course. Convert the Termies, Tactical squad, Ravewing, and Librarian into Chaos models, and you'll have the majority of a full sized army already....

:lol:

Scored what's in the box (excluding Chap) at 875 points. First things first, if you want a nice round 1000 point legal army just get a 5 man combat squad.

Playing with some lists in Army Builder I've worked out that if you can arrange a swap and get two sets of DA Dark Vengance models then a 1500 point army is easily achievable (Co. Master, Lib, 2xTacticals, 2xTerms, 6xBikes from DV) by adding an Attack Bike. Good solid foundation!

Bearing in mind new codex/AB with some new models coming soon, expect new flyer for example; adding some Command/Honour/Veteran squad would be short term idea as would picking up something heavy (if 2x Plasma Cannons not enough).

well i am getting the limited edition box ( had it ordered to my house, so won't arrive until monday or tuesday :P )with the chaplain included i think it would be a nice 1000pt army and i could make it 15000 pts with the inclusion of 3 more bikers, another 10 man tact squad and upgrading my termies to a 10 man squad.

as well i can't seem to find anyone to swap with, I suggested the idea to my local hobby store to have a swap day, but they didn't reply. my friends all collect dark angels as well plus i think i will wait until november/december before i buy more because of the new codex and the possible new flyer.

@ undeadfilth, i like ravenwing but they are a bit exspensive, but with the new flyer (possibly) coming out i might get one of those but with the plasma i agree, especially as the DA are supposed to be getting their own Gets Hot! specail rule (though if it is like the tau version and reduces strength, then mabye not) still open to other suggestions!

unfortunately you cannot take a 10 man Termie squad with our codex, however, getting an Assault Terminator Squad and mixing between the two squads in terms of weapons will give you a nice assortment of loadout, as we can Mix'n'match.

A LandRaider is always a useful investment as well, despite the new HP system, they are still pretty tough to put down.

or the abominably named GreenWing?

Properly named "Ironwing". Improperly considered an armored formation it is merely a battle company, fully mechanized with armor support. Add a 95 point Pread.

hmm thats an ok idea,although,considering for that money i could get an extra 200pts of termies

i think death wing might be the way i like of course i still need an extra tac squad (because i cant live wthout them)

unfortunately you cannot take a 10 man Termie squad with our codex, however, getting an Assault Terminator Squad and mixing between the two squads in terms of weapons will give you a nice assortment of loadout, as we can Mix'n'match.

A LandRaider is always a useful investment as well, despite the new HP system, they are still pretty tough to put down.

thanks i think thats probably the best suggestion yet!

sorry about the termie mistake, I want to wait until the new codex comes out before i buy it

If anything,HP has made land raiders tougher !

the good thing about the DV boxset is that the models are push fit so i can keep them on for now, then take them off when i get the assualt termies ( but still need to remember that 10 man tac squad first)

I'd grab the Dark Angel Veterans sprue from GW's website as soon as possible (assuming it's still up). I'm expecting it to disappear soon and come back in a new (more expensive) form with the new codex. It's great value for money. Get 2 or 3 of them if you can.

I'd try and scrounge up a Rhino on the cheap somewhere. You can often get them from bits places for cheap as they're part of a larger kit that someone has stripped. If you're forced to buy one new from GW never buy a basic Rhino, get a Razorback or predator since they're almost the same price and you essentially get both vehicles.

Now that you have some company veterans and some transport you're on the way to a fully legal army. You can convert one of the company veterans to a sargeant and then have two basic tactical squads with the marines you have, which fills out a legal Force Org Chart. Then add whatever you feel like playing with/painting.

hmmm i think personally that brother-sergeant is the winner

@ Plastic Rat that is a good idea,but ,alas I am going to wait sady,because I want to see what games workshop are going to release (probably make the upgrade sprue resin,NOOOOOOO!!!) hopefully the flyer might be a dedicated transport ( if it is really comeing out) if not probably am going to get one anyway!

you can still change my mind so keep posting!

I think it's highly unlikely that anything currently plastic will ever be made into Finecast, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, the veterans kit is almost certainly not going anywhere, but the possibility of buying just the veterans sprue on it's own might (the kit comes with bases and a regular marine "command" sprue but at a markedly higher price). It's a downright amazing kit and there's plenty of bits for all your DA kitbashing needs (including some terminator stuff too, btw). It's not a kit I see anyone regretting their investment in, even if something new and shiny comes along.

I'd say a Ravenwing and/ or vanilla Space marine battleforce would be a sound investment. Wait on the termies incase some new fancy ones come along.

like i said before, I am going to wait anyway for the new codex and/ or the flyer to (possibly ) come out

also,no i don't really play against necrons alot as it is usaully choas marines

Hmm, with DV, as is, you get:

HQ Librarian Turmiel w/ BP & FW: 120 pts

or

HQ Co Master Balthasar w/ PW, Combi: 125 pts

or

HQ Int-Chap Seraphicus w/ Croz & PP: 135 pts

+

EL DW Term Sq Barachiel: Sgt SB&PW, SB&PFx2, CF, AutoC&PF: 250 pts

TR Tac Sq Raphiel: sgt w/ PP, PG, PC: 210 pts

FA RW Attack Sq Arion: PP: 135 pts

Total: 730 to 745 pts

Are you sure you wouldn't want to just get a second DV box?

or

or

+

EL DW Term Sq Leonardo: Sgt SB&PW, SB&PFx2, CF, AutoC&PF: 250 pts

EL DW Term Sq Donatello: Sgt SB&PW, SB&PFx2, CF, AutoC&PF: 250 pts

TR Tac Sq Raphael: sgt w/ PP, PG, PC: 210 pts

TR Tac Sq Michelangelo: sgt w/ PP, PG, PX: 210 pts

FA RW Attack Sq Arion: PPx2: 250 pts (six bikes)

Total: 1290 to 1305 pts

I think it would be easier to get the two TR slots for DW, RW, and regular DA out of the way.

Hmm, with DV, as is, you get:

or

or

+

EL DW Term Sq Barachiel: Sgt SB&PW, SB&PFx2, CF, AutoC&PF: 250 pts

TR Tac Sq Raphiel: sgt w/ PP, PG, PC: 210 pts

FA RW Attack Sq Arion: PP: 135 pts

Total: 730 to 745 pts

Are you sure you wouldn't want to just get a second DV box?

or

or

+

EL DW Term Sq Leonardo: Sgt SB&PW, SB&PFx2, CF, AutoC&PF: 250 pts

EL DW Term Sq Donatello: Sgt SB&PW, SB&PFx2, CF, AutoC&PF: 250 pts

TR Tac Sq Raphael: sgt w/ PP, PG, PC: 210 pts

TR Tac Sq Michelangelo: sgt w/ PP, PG, PX: 210 pts

FA RW Attack Sq Arion: PPx2: 250 pts (six bikes)

Total: 1290 to 1305 pts

I think it would be easier to get the two TR slots for DW, RW, and regular DA out of the way.

no, that would give me 3 unwanted HQ's,and i don't want to have the same models again,they may be good looking, but they arn't that good.

no, that would give me 3 unwanted HQ's,and i don't want to have the same models again,they may be good looking, but they arn't that good.

True, it's a problem. I have strong urge to get a second box, but it would indeed lead to unnecessary models, and even the tactical marines would lack variety in weaponry. The price is good, the models look great... but it's still problematic. I had the same thing with the AoBR set too (only bought it what, 6 weeks ago or something?). However now I've been also considering a small C:SM force at some point in the future, which would get a good start from AoBR as well as adding more Orks to my future xeno army (though, again, with a lack of variety). But AoBR will be hard to find from now on. Probably should've made the C:SM army from AoBR and leave the separate kits for my main BT army, but such is hindsight, I already filed off the tactical arrows and so forth. But, this is straying off-topic.

As said the models look great, but the variety is always something to consider with these starter sets. From GW's point of view it makes sense to have the models not be reposable, otherwise they'd have to up the cost of starter sets (not good for getting new players invested!) because otherwise folks would just buy a load of starter sets to make up their army.

Understood. I don't have the DV models in hand yet, so I can't say how convertible they are.

There are people trading/selling DV stuff, so that's always an option too for the models you do like.

hey y'all!

i was poking around in my Massive bitz box (mainly skaven) and found the 10 tac marines from my humble beginnings into this hobby,from the AoBR boxset! these were horribly painted and neglected but with some of my brothers many,many, space marine bitz I managed to fix them! so thats the 10 tac marines done already,by the way,is anyone certain of what the new DA preds gonna be ( I know it's almost definitly plasma but what are the stat mabye?) because if they are good i might get one when it comes out

oh and @Archangel i don't really think i would make the money back a all if i sold them,plus i hate doing all that ebay crap.

Archived