Fallen LoTD

puck

So I've been kicking around the idea of modeling a squad of Legion of the Damned as "Repentant Fallen". Note I play using C:SM. The idea of a group of warriors that show up uncalled for and then vanish mysteriously sounded very "maybe not all bad Fallen" to me. From a fluff perspective, these guys wouldn't be accepted by the DA's in any way, but would show up "unexpectedly in the hour of direst need" beat face and then vanish before the DA's could catch them. To lend more credence to their vanishing act and some of the more mystical abilities of the LoTD, I'd planned to model the sergeant with a bolt pistol/plasma pistol to make them look kinda like Cypher and his retinue.

Has anyone seen this done? What are your thoughts on the idea as a whole and the difficulty of execution?

It's certainly an original take on the Legion of the Damned rules.

Personally i like it. Fits with the character of the chapter.

Depending on how your conversion-fu is, it would be awesome to see some of the older (Heresy Era) patterns of power armour with robes on, to show how really ancient they are.

My only fluff concern would be that the interrogator chaplains (and the DA with them) would be likely to drop everything to grab the fallen angels.

While I can see it as a great idea, I feel that they would not come and fight alongside the Unforgiven Chapters. Why? Because the DA would drop everything to get them. In Malediction Cypher turns up and helps the PDF, before ditching and leaving just as the DA 6th Company arrives in order to avoid being discovered.

While I can see it as a great idea, I feel that they would not come and fight alongside the Unforgiven Chapters. Why? Because the DA would drop everything to get them. In Malediction Cypher turns up and helps the PDF, before ditching and leaving just as the DA 6th Company arrives in order to avoid being discovered.

Maaaybe. Maaaybe not.

If the Fallen showed up "unexpectedly" as LotD often do, then the DA may not really have a choice right away. It would be a big tactical error to ignore the guns hitting you to attack your own side of the battlefield. Also, fluffiness vs tabletop gives you some elbow room to do it.

When the battle is done, or is no longer a threat for the DA, THEN they would likely converge upon the Fallen. As well as having a plan of attack for any other loyal sides fighting with them (no witnesses!).

Maaaybe. Maaaybe not.

If the Fallen showed up "unexpectedly" as LotD often do, then the DA may not really have a choice right away. It would be a big tactical error to ignore the guns hitting you to attack your own side of the battlefield. Also, fluffiness vs tabletop gives you some elbow room to do it.

When the battle is done, or is no longer a threat for the DA, THEN they would likely converge upon the Fallen. As well as having a plan of attack for any other loyal sides fighting with them (no witnesses!).

I think it would really depend on the commander and the size of the DA force. Perhaps the DW would abandon their task and strike the Fallen? I can see the DA sacrificing a few of their own brothers in that situation in order to gain clemency for their shame.

Regardless, I think it is a great idea, and one I wish I thought of! However, I would be cautious, from a fluff perspective, to actually use them alongside Unforgiven. If it was any other Chapter, there would be no worries from me from a fluff POV.

However, I say go for it! Model them, just post up pics :( And then use them in a game. Just be aware of the fluff contradiction ;)

As an idea for a largely C:SM force it's a great idea puck. Even go as far to say "why the Fallen, why not just DA?" as we are renowned for turning up and disappearing again :devil:.

I'd try this in a pure DA force too. The incoming squad could be 'repentant' Fallen - thrown into the battle to test their loyalty. Maybe a D6 throw per turn if an Interogator-Chaplain, Master or Librarian is alive on the battlefield:

• A 1 means they get targeted by the nearest DA unit in shooting or cc for that turn.
  • A 6 signifies the unit has regained trust and remains unmolested by friendlies for the rest of the game
  • All other results means the unit must test each turn.

Have fun.

Cheers

I

As an idea for a largely C:SM force it's a great idea puck. Even go as far to say "why the Fallen, why not just DA?" as we are renowned for turning up and disappearing again :).

I'd try this in a pure DA force too. The incoming squad could be 'repentant' Fallen - thrown into the battle to test their loyalty. Maybe a D6 throw per turn if an Interogator-Chaplain, Master or Librarian is alive on the battlefield:

• A 1 means they get targeted by the nearest DA unit in shooting or cc for that turn.
  • A 6 signifies the unit has regained trust and remains unmolested by friendlies for the rest of the game
  • All other results means the unit must test each turn.

Have fun.

Cheers

I

I really like the d6 idea. I think I would play them very aggressively so that when the DA's realize there's Fallen about they have to fight through the enemy to get to them. They're not going to show up til the battle has been joined so my thinking is it might take the Loyalists a short time to realize there's one too many squads on the field. The appearing/disappearing mysteriously would be accomplished fluff-wise from the fact that its Cypher and his retinue as that guy has a history of squirrelly escapes.

when you say you use codex space marines are you playing them as dark angels?or are you playing a non unforgiven chapter and wanted to throw in some DA flair with some fallen/LoTD?

From every perspective but rules I play Dark Angels. I started playing right when 5ed came out and learned how to play using C:SM. So when I started painting up DA's I just stuck with the codex I knew.

Archived