6th edition death company army

mavorik

Is it viable to run a pure DC army in 6th edition?

I am yet to play a game with the new rules but I do have the rule book and have been reading through. I have been running a DOA army for sometime in 5th with good success but I am seriously considering making a pure DC army... and perhaps taking one to a tournament. I am not a particularly serious player although I like to be competitive and I'm not sure how competitive a pure DC army would be on a tournament scene with a 1250 points limit.

Has anyone run a pure DC army in 6th? How did it go?

What are people's general thoughts on the idea of a pure DC army?

My concerns include the following; ordinance, high initiative squads with power weapons or similar (grey knights, genestealers, banshees) and also how do I deal with flyers which seem to being playing a big part in 6th from what I have read.

Let me know your thoughts

Cheers

mavorik

EDIT - They'd be great fun to play though.

And thats all that should matter

This^

I play a pure DC list for fun. The challenge for me is to take out all of my opponents scoring units, characters and try to table them. It's fun to watch an "over-confident" opponent start to sweat by turn 3 or 4. They start to wonder if they can even claim objectives in the face of my Death Company. Comments of "is that all the models you got?" turn to "this shouldn't be happening. OMG!" Fun stuff.

lol They should definitely have the 'Desperate Allies' rule then

"Commissar the Angels in Black have managed to destroy the enemy forces entirely! The day is won"

"Yes sergeant. It would appear so. Now have your men reload and take up firing positions embedded in trenches and await my order"

"Why would we need to do that Commissar? There are no enemy left?"

"....exactly"

"Commissar the Angels in Black have managed to destroy the enemy forces entirely! The day is won"

"Yes sergeant. It would appear so. Now have your men reload and take up firing positions embedded in trenches and await my order"

"....exactly"

:P

"....exactly"

Thank you :lol: ^_^ :D I almost snorted my coffee on that, so apt. I am thinking it is not a competitive list but it certainly would be a spoiler list in a tourney.

At smaller point games which you mentioned around 1250 there is very likley to a power band that you can use to great effect for an all DC list.

I would like to see someone deal with 30 Death company in a 1250 point game.

27 Death company with 6 fists in three pods with Astorath is 1015

Fill out the remaining 235 points with whatever you like maybe a Libby or one less pod and take a larger JP DC squad with infernus pistols and axes.

Well, when it comes to damage dealing potential, DC are underpriced. So just focus on your opponents scoring units as said and make sure you kill his warlord (and don't lose yours), get one of your DC in his deployment (while make sure he can't) and try to get first blood (a droppod with inferno pistols might be the way to go). You might actually win your games. :)

See, I really don't see 100% DC being fun at all. I tried it in 5th @ found it boring. DC still get expensive quickly & you're stuck taking Astorath who I'm not sold on being that cost. That said, I think if you ran a bunch of MM attack bikes (6-9) & 30 DC with bolters in Rhinos as the core you could have 'some' competitive success. Allying with IG sounds like a neat idea & those guardsmen can hold objectives too.

- Dallas

DC cannot score or contest.

Is this a reply on my post?

In that case I want to say that they indeed can't score, but they surely can deny. Being an denial unit is the only requirement for linebreaker (you don't have to be scoring, though you may).

Check our codex and BRB if you don't agree with me (you'll see I'm right :) :) ).

So killing all enemy's scoring units (or denying them the controle of objectives) and focussing on the 3 secondary objectives might win you the battle.

Thanks for the replies everyone. There seems to be mixed opinion. From what I have read elsewhere I get the same feeling - they would be fun to play but aren't competitive enough to run on the tournament scene. Looks like I'll have to mix in some normal BA or even allies. That's a shame.

Though to be honest I'm thinking I might just run it anyway for a laugh.

Anyone got any suggestions for 1250pt list?

I'm not keen on the 30 man unit idea. More into the idea of smaller units of JP guys and probably a librarian. Though I guess I'll need a stormraven for those damn flyers...

Anyway, thanks for the input to date.

mavorik

Archived