Played my BA in NOVAOPEN

Phrack

I will definitely provide a post with greater detail, got class and work so it will be a little later tonight although...

...Here is the list I took however!

2000 Points

HQ

Meph (Was MVP, but failed me hard a couple of times...such as a 4 inch charge with fleet; got me one of my losses, and my own player error where I forgot to consolidate him into an objective and received my first loss against Stelek, ruining my 4-0 for qualifiers; rolled him scoring on warlord and forgot he was scoring at end game.)

Rune Priest (jaws//murderous when I played against crons and orks) Divination against most others. He was great against crons which ended up consisting of the largest percentage at the GT and even ate a Dlord also ended up eating 4 nob bikers with JAWS.

Troops

2x 10 jumpers w/2x Melta and PF

2x 5 Man Assault Squad w/ flamer riding in a Razor with TLHF

2x 5 Man GH squad w/ melta and WG w/ combi-melta in a Rhino(So essentially a 6 man squad)

Heavy Support

Vindi

Storm Raven

Long Fangs w/ attached Termie in TDA (Termie ate usually 10 saves in a game; he was nice)

Ageis Defence line w/attached Auto

More details will come later!

Meph (Was MVP, but failed me hard a couple of times...such as a 4 inch charge with fleet; got me one of my losses, and my own player error where I forgot to consolidate him into an objective and received my first loss against Stelek......

:thanks: this hurts me....I feel your agony ><; damnit!!!

Well done though, seriously. Glad you took it to them!

And holy wow- your list is really interesting.

Are you leaving anything out?

Seems small?

The list is indeed a little interesting but it is correct; In total it is 6 vehicles, and I believe 51 marines on the field.

I will break my games down as well as the friends I went with as well. Kurt made it to final 4, and my friend Logan made it to top 16. Needless to say my local shop has some fierce players.

As for some insight...I think a lot of the meta is going to change just on this tourney alone, and it will take some time for people to catch on. The most popular list there was Cron flyers, but I was not afraid of it at all and welcomed the games against them and sometimes even preferred them. The general Cron list was something along these lines.

Lord

DLord

(The better players took a single squad of death marks)

2-3 Squads of Immortals with one of these being on foot holding a home objective and one in a flyer.

1-2 Squads of Warriors in Night Scythes

2-3 Squads of Wraiths

Some ran a couple of anni barges, and the higher placing players ran a miny scarab farm w/ 3x tomb spiders.

1-2 Doom Scythes

The variables on the squads really just fit player preference but ~40 lists or so were close to the exact same.

This was the most prevalent army, but the one I would have feared most was the Daemon army that made it to the top 4.

I'm working on putting together a detailed battle Report with my matches, but I will give a quick run down of my game vs Stelek with a couple of people being interested. I do believe I was the highest placing BA player there, but my ranking was only 37 out of 200 or so people. 3-1 in qualifiers only put me in the third bracket.

For those that have not seen Stelek's list this is what he took.

1x Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (servo-skulls x3; bolt pisto; conv. Beamer x1; warlord)

1x Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband

4x Warrior Acolyte

1x Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (servo-skulls x2; bolt pisto; conv. Beamer x1;)

1x Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband

4x Warrior Acolyte

1x Rune Priest in Power Armour, (Jaws; Living Lightning) (Allied HQ)

1x Grey Hunter Pack (Troops)

5 Grey Hunters w/flamer

1x Grey Knight Strike Squad (Troops)

1x Justicar, 2x Grey Knights w/ Psycannons, 7x Grey Knights

1 Grey Knight Strike Squad (Troops)

1x Justicar, 1 Greyknight w/ psycannon, 3 Grey Knights

1x Razorback w/ psybolt ammo; TLAC)

1 Dreadnought w/ psybolt Amo; Searchlight; TLAC

Whenever I play against an opponent I look at their army and try to find out what best I can do to win with the mission I am given. In this case the game was kill points, then objectives, then quarters. He has many more shots coming out of his army that mine had no hope of matching, but he also has a lot of Kill Points available for me to grab. My Strategy then was to try and place myself in a position to claim at least my two quarters, my two home objectives with the third in the middle, and tie with kill points. He grabbed first turn and I realized it was going to be a sacrifice game for me with him getting the alpha as well as more guns. When I say sacrifice I am not talking about deep striking into his Deployment zone, or rushing his lines, I am saying that for every squad killed of mine, I have to make sure they are in a position to take down at least one of his. One thing about NOVAOPEN is that cover is abundant. To say that the game came down to dice is a bit far fetching I would think. Although, I would say he did get screwed in his second game. It was not in his favor at all and called for a terrain shift on the board he was playing on, but only after his game was finished.

I have Class, I will finish the post afterwards :D

Funny story about Stelek: Last night I was talking to my girlfriend (she plays too) about how I read about this douchey player at nova on these forums. Then she told me she also read a post on a DE forum about another douchey guy at nova. Low in behold once I say the guys name was Stelek she realized the douche she read about was one in the same!

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame because as someone who is interested in attending more tournaments, Stelek comes across as exactly the sort of character that would put a dampener on things for me.

Mort on the other hand, is an example of a regular tournament goer who is nothing but polite and helpful, exactly the sort of chap i'd buy a drink.

Nicely done anyway Phrack :rolleyes:

Archived