Becoming a Dark Angel

Spaniard

Hello all,

Lately ive gotten bored with the ultramarines and i heard that the dark angel do everything the way they want to do it. I would just like to know before i invest time and money into them, what makes them different from everyone else and could i take my exsiting army and convert them to dark angel?

I got into Dark Angels just recently for their Ravenwing options. Ravenwing is pretty much the ability to bring bikes as both troops and fast attack. With the new jink rules in 6th edition, I feel this build could be incredibly successful. Another option is the Deathwing, which utilizes terminators instead of bikes(though I believe bikes for the teleport homer helps them), though I will admit, I'm not a huge fan of terminators and haven't looked much into how they run. Converting your current army is all up to you. If their painted, that's a huge pain along with negating all the time and effort you spent painting. I'd start fresh, but I'm crazy with my armies. I have a ton:P

Deathwing terminators are 5 man squads of terminators that can mix and match weapon load outs. Thus a squad can have 2 TH/SS, 1 LC, 1 SB/PF, and 1 SB/CF w/CML or any mixture like that. Plus, if Beliel (the first company commander) is taken, all terminators can count as troops instead of elites if you want. Thus, DA is the only space marine army other than GK that can run a pure terminator force. Ravenwing is similar in that if you take Sammael (the second company commander), then the bike squads can count as troops.

As it stands, those are our main differences from Codex: Space marines until we get a new codex.

Nobody knows when the new codex is out.

And we don't do what we want to do.

We take the tools we are provided and refuse to acknowledge the possibility of being a sub-par army.

Faith is out shield!

Between now and then.

Seriously, all we have is rumors.

On the topic though, the Dark Angels and the rest of the Unforgiven are Space Marines, so they do not "do everything the way they want." They have an agenda and hunt the Fallen, by while this may consume a great deal of man hours, they still operate 99.75% of their time as any Marine chapter might. Most of the members of any given chapter don't even actually know of the Fallen, so they really can't be anything other than Marines.

Take a gander at topics on this forum concerning themes of the Dark Angels for a much better, on-going, and lively discussion on "Who are the Dark Angels" than a simple question might get an answer to.

Edit: In addition to the above comments on Terminators, Ravenwing and converting an army, realize that the Dark Angels still use a codex printed back in 4th Edition and therefore do not have access to the later toys like LR Redeemers, Storm Talons, Thunderfire Cannons and Sternguard/Vanguard vets. These things aren't legal by themselves in a DA army list so you would either need to use them as Allies or not at all.

What everyone has said about the rules is correct, but another important thing of note is that you shouldn't select the Dark Angels for their rules. You should select Dark Angels for their look and feel, for their back story and the imagery that surrounds them.

We've gotten shafted on our last 2 Codexes. Except for the occasional Deathwing player, most people play Dark Angels out of a love for the IDEA of Dark Angels, not because their rules.

If you love the idea of secretive monkish Space Marines, who have dedicated to erasing a stain on their history that most don't even know is there, with a bike mounted Scouting company to gather information, and an all Terminator company who are the few who understand to some degree the missteps the Legion made, and who are dedicated to erasing it, then Dark Angels are the army for you. Oh, and if you think Plasma weapons are cool because somewhere along the way it was decided that as the First Legion, we'd have more of those.

But yeah, that's life as a Dark Angel - immersing yourself in the back story and imagery because that is the coolest thing they have to offer for now (and for the last 12 years pretty much).

Come closer cousin, soon to be brother, and let us speak plainly... The others have not the heart to tell you what you must do, but I have. Remember that becoming one of the shadow host is the greatest step you will ever take as an Astartes, and doubts and trials will assail you in your every waking hour, and no doubt some of the sleeping ones. First, you must cast off the shackles of Guilliman's dogma, and accept the Book of Caliban for its superior strategies of troop deployment, scouting tactics, and austere self-reliance, for indeed the politics of the Imperium make true brothers an invaluable, scarce commodity. At the very end of the day, only in your Legion, for we are Legion, will you find true brotherhood. Remember that, always, even when, -especially- when you must do an act that will crush your soul, like change a baby Watcher's diapers.

Remember also, that you must learn to sew, for often a campaign against the Fallen will be prolonged, and you will have no chapter serf to handle the sewing of your tattered robes. For this reason, I heartily advise against Louis Vittonael, for though the Supreme Grandmaster's choice it may be, you must remember he has a veritable host of seamstresses at his beck and call at any given time. The subsector Kashmir produces the vast majority of the snow-white robes you will see amidst your brethren, and thus I would advise you to wear one such robe.

I have no more words to impart -at this time-, but should your heart ever falter, hesitate not to call on me to give you the unadulterated, cold truth of all matters except the ones regarding night life at the Rock. That's classified information.

Archived