Dark Vengeance Dark Angel Models

ellis_esquire

Hi all,

Been a while, but at last the Angels are back - first substantial set of models in a long while so Ive been smiling a lot. What are we all thinking?

1. SO nice to have some Dark Angel love! Kind of trumps any of the issues I have below.

2. Box of unpainted Dark Angels has grown as awaiting codex for a holisitic assessment of paint schemes and modelling comprehensiveness (theme, style, colour)

3. Ravenwing are AWESOME, Librarian is AWESOME (dynamic and dark), matching nicely my arrogant painted RW bikes (see blog)

4. Chaplain is fun but not amazing - head looks a bit 4/5th edition in terms of dynamcy and style. Where are the ripped up gothica robes? Very bulky too.

5. Deathwing are pretty nice - lovely to have dedicated plastics, but would have loved all robed and so just fall short of the BA space hullk termies for really eeking out a sense of personality for the deathwing. HOWEVER, the feathers making it in are a massive boon to me from anyone who knows my Deathwing force (See blog). Still could have been a bit more dynamic.

6. Tactical Sergeant is very Ultramarine looking though fun. Company Master is over robed even for me!

7. Booo - non robed tactical marines - How am I going to fit them in my all robed army I ask thee?

8. What do you all think?

E_E

I think they are spot on.

For 3-part push fit models, GW have done a fantastic job with the box set and i'm really happy to have more DA to add to my force.

If you mix the Tactical marines with the DA veterans sprue backpacks and bits, you can make a great looking squad

I'm glad they didn't go overboard on the robes. Robes show seniority, no reason a Tactical marine would wear them unless he was a vet sergeant.

I have no complaints worth voicing! Though I'm not such a DA purist that a sergeant with a tabard instead of a robe would bother me ^_^ Overall the level of detail on both armies is just excellent, honestly anyone expecting better for the price needs to get a head exam ;)

not got it yet but had a good look over the models in store over the weekend

chaplain - nice but not something i'd use.

company master - good standard in for azrael. like the detail. possibly agree about the amount of robes.

libby - nice though the right shoulder looks a little under detailed.i think its the horns look a bit flat/wide.

tacticals - a good basic plasma squad. i like the sergeant as a run of the mill squad leader.

ravenwing - really like these. though bugs me the hood is half way down. i'd rather its up or down/not part way.

deathwing - like everything except the sergeant. i can get over the duplicated model. a weapon swap will cure this easy enough. i dont like the 'bunny ears'. its the difference between a few feathers and the whole chicken for me. it also really bugs me that the left shoulder pad has 'clipping' going on with the body.

chaplain - nice but not something i'd use.

Is that even after taking into consideration the 'updated' Chaplain rules? Seems we might get 'preferred enemy' like the Space Wolves. Whether that is only against Chaos 'as per the wording used in the box set' or for a wider range when the codex comes out, who knows. I certainly don't mind the idea of my Chaplain hanging back and shouting encouraging words to my Sternguard and/or Devastators.

I think the only thing I'm not looking forward to about our new codex is when they confirm Matt Ward as the author.

Let's keep this to discussions on the models please - certainly not on the upcoming codex (discussions elsewhere on that) and certainly not on a round of Matt Ward bashing.

@ellis_esquire nice summary. I'd agree that the Librarian is probably the best DA character model of the bunch (discounting the LE Chaplain). But disagree on robed Deathwing ;).

Cheers

I

I don't have the box yet, but form the pictures I tend to agree with all your comments. Although not that fussed about robed marines (or Termies for that matter - lots of studs make up for it <_< ) I do think the Chaplain is a bit stout... and that the Librarian is the best mini among the DAs and scores pretty high in looks even against the Chaos Marines (that are top notch imo).

Is it just me or the Termie Sergeant (the only semi-robed among them) has a really ackward pose?

And the Master? I spend last week trying to like him... I'm not there yet.

Oh, and ellis? Good to see you again - sbeen a while! :lol:

The Chapie ist pretty good.....I'll use him in my Army for shure...

Libbie is in my Opinion just Great, better than his SM Counterpart!! Fits perfect into a DA Army. Simple but effective, well done GW!!!

RW: I HATE Bikes......i'll never build or play them

DW: Sgt is Ok (but only without those ridicioulus "Wing" or what ever that is....Pose is Average, but al least something new. Rest ist OK. AC Termis is BadAss.

PA's: are PA's......Sgt should be fully Robed (glad i have some left)

The MAster: He IS perfect for Azrael!!! Just build mine, but witout this Clown Helmet---> Bare Head. Way cooler.....now looking for some BlingBling.

In Overall:

There is nothing to be dissapointed with...

Edit:

As for Robes:

I've some Left, I've allways planned to use them for Squad Leaders......

Robes only only Sounds cool, but looks Boring.

Hinti

ravenwing - really like these. though bugs me the hood is half way down. i'd rather its up or down/not part way.

I haven't seen it in person but I thought this was a nice touch. I don't ride a motorcycle, but I'm a bike commuter and on a gusty day that happens to me on a regular basis. My hood blows off my head and bunches up behind my head because the wind doesn't let it settle nicely.

I managed to obtain an additional set of Ravenwing, Deathwing and Greenwing models in additon to my Limited Edition DV box. I must say that the models are awesome and quite spot on, now onto some details:

- The Librarian is well done and I like his pose. The spirals on his force sword are a great tribute to Ezekiel and the older editions Librarians.

- Balthasar is a good, generic DA hero. His pose is well done, static but also imperative. One a side note I love the overabundance of cloth on him. Makes him quite a centerpiece.

- The LE Interrogator Chaplain is one of my favourite miniatures so far. He screams of challenge and while a bit buffed up he is still greatly detailed and intresting. Hopefully my Elite choice soon :lol:

- The Tactical squad is the rivelation of the set. Their backpacks are covered in a number of small, characterful details and their weapons too. A big bonus are the beaky helmets, my favourite part so far.

- DW are awesome. Yes the Sarge has Bugs Bunny ears and yes we have a duplicate but the unit is still awesome and it will prove useful to expand my DW army.

- Ravenwing are my favourite unit of all the box. They are dynamic, the sarge is badass and the details on the bikes too. I am glad to have two sets of them.

In my opinion the models are all fairly good, the Librarian is my favourite. While i really like the chaplains model, it seems a bit more like a Black Templar than a Dark Angel. The bike models look much better than the regular model, hope we might see similar buke models in the future.

To bad the terminators are fairly hard to convert unlike the Black Reach ones, altough im pretty sure they made them that way to avoid the cheap terminator source, still i cut the double model apart and replaced his arms with lightningclaws, now the two terminator twins look in no way similar (its also the only model that can be converter without to much work)

Chaplin is first model that I prefer painted by eavy metal team. Usually I love models but find their paint scheme horrible.

Libarian is awesome

Chapter master awesome but I don't see me using him often.

Tactical are fine for me, but I dot like them all together they are scattered between my 2 other units. The seagernt I wont use. I prefer a power weapon offer a plasma pistol.

Love the deathwing, I didn't use the assault cannon though.

Ravenwing are awesome too. Will be making good use of these fellas

Hi all,

Been a while, but at last the Angels are back - first substantial set of models in a long while so Ive been smiling a lot. What are we all thinking?

Welcome back, nice to see you around again! :D

1. SO nice to have some Dark Angel love! Kind of trumps any of the issues I have below.

Hear! hear!

2. Box of unpainted Dark Angels has grown as awaiting codex for a holisitic assessment of paint schemes and modelling comprehensiveness (theme, style, colour)

The wait continues but not for long....

3. Ravenwing are AWESOME, Librarian is AWESOME (dynamic and dark), matching nicely my arrogant painted RW bikes (see blog)

Absolutely agreed but I would call the librarian good rather than awesome. To me the bets Librarian models is the SM Librarian terminator model which has he kind of dynamism thatI associate with controlling swirling warp energies.... Ours is good but is not that dynamic, IMHO.

4. Chaplain is fun but not amazing - head looks a bit 4/5th edition in terms of dynamcy and style. Where are the ripped up gothica robes? Very bulky too.
I haven't put him together yet but I just don't see that robes and cloaks going together. The way the robes billow out form certain angles deinitely detracts from the model. I wasn't that impresed based on the photos and am not so sure still, will have to wait until I work on it I guess..

5. Deathwing are pretty nice - lovely to have dedicated plastics, but would have loved all robed and so just fall short of the BA space hullk termies for really eeking out a sense of personality for the deathwing. HOWEVER, the feathers making it in are a massive boon to me from anyone who knows my Deathwing force (See blog). Still could have been a bit more dynamic.

I think they are good... GW could have gone one very small step further and had the second SB/PF DW terminators in slightly different poses but I'm not complaining. One thing I found out with my DW Army project and when using the SH BA terminators was not to be tied down to the arms that come with the mini's...I think a couple of swaps would do nicely... They will be definitely joining my DW army project...

6. Tactical Sergeant is very Ultramarine looking though fun. Company Master is over robed even for me!

Look too thin for me... and his pose is very anaemic.... will do nicely when some GS robes are sculpted on him! :D

7. Booo - non robed tactical marines - How am I going to fit them in my all robed army I ask thee?

green Stuf! Green Stuff! Green Stuff Robes!!!! :woot:

8. What do you all think?

E_E

It's a good time to be an unrepentant, unredeemable and unabashadly addicted unforgiven!!! :P

SG

Azrael Turnbull - i meant as in i have several chaplains already (custom jump pack/biker/2x termy/standard metal screaming bionic guy) so dont need another one. i have always liked chaplains as far as rules and fluff go and its very rare i dont have one in my lists - just not that wowed by the model here.

only issue i see with the ravenwing is that they come with those rounded bases where as my existing bikers are not based or came with the rectangular base. i will either have to not base them which may get some peoples backs up or get new bases for my existing bikes so they fit in. no idea if i do the second option what to do with my attack bikes :S

Azrael Turnbull - i meant as in i have several chaplains already (custom jump pack/biker/2x termy/standard metal screaming bionic guy) so dont need another one. i have always liked chaplains as far as rules and fluff go and its very rare i dont have one in my lists - just not that wowed by the model here.

That's a fair enough comment. It will definitely be the first Chaplain I have ever thought about using that doesn't have a means of closing in with the enemy, simply because of the rules presented in the Dark Vengeance set. I guess the main reason for me liking the Chaplain is because he stands out from the other models. I can't put my finger on why, as they all look fantastic but he stands out to me.

only issue i see with the ravenwing is that they come with those rounded bases where as my existing bikers are not based or came with the rectangular base. i will either have to not base them which may get some peoples backs up or get new bases for my existing bikes so they fit in. no idea if i do the second option what to do with my attack bikes :S

I created a few of my own by cutting a 28mm circular base in two and gluing it to the ends of the rectangular base. I have a couple of photos already so I could write up a small tutorial if you like.

I can't put my finger on why, as they all look fantastic but he stands out to me.

I think it's the smoke from the incense burners. :)

I think it's the smoke from the incense burners. B)

The first thing I did was cut that off. I have another Chaplain coming from my friends set (He's getting my Chaos) that I'll leave alone But, the chaplain I'm building got the spiked half-circle bit as a replacement.

Just not a fan of the smoke.

I love the models in the DV set I ended up getting three sets and traded one chaos set for some more DA and at the end of the day I ended up with five of limited edition chaplains. I like the company master and libby. The Plasma Cannons will form my Dev squad. Since I have just started my RW it will be great to have those extra bikes.

Got two DV boxes worth of DA to start a new army (swap) and have taken my knife, glue and various spare sprues from other armies to get some variation in there, for example:

Not able to do much with Co Master :( Save one for painting competition and one for general use.

1 Lib now totes a plasma pistol as WYSIWYG option.

Son begged spare Chap off me to Chaos up so only one of those.

2 Squads of Terms, Easy enough to reposition~swap right arms about to get variation in poses - even gave one chainfister an assault cannon! Also trimmed 1 sergeant's feathers and fitted variation on Power Sword.

2 Squads of Tactical marines, repositioned head & right arm on 1 sergeant (also loses back pack adornment) otherwise fairly bland.

Combined 6 man Ravenwing - 1 sergeant converted in to normal rider with repositioned chainsword and single rear-wing; actual sergeant model now toting plasma pistol & has Power lance borrowed from GK term sprue available on bike! second batch of bikes had base mount nubs removed to give variation in angles of inclination.

Now where did I put that second pot of liquid greenstuff?

Will try and take/post pics to show what's possible with some basic skills. According to Army Builder (with right options) I've got an exactly 1500 point army for £65!

I enjoyed the kit. A few foibles (still can't get over the Terminator sergeant's shoulder pad disappearing into his body) but for the price, I think it's excellent. So excellent I bought two! Though I really dislike the Tactical sergeant.

My kit bashes so far can be seen here. Made up both Tac squads but used some existing sergeants I had to get some differentiation (and I don't like the DV load out, tabard or head). RW squad has been combined to make a six man dual plasma squad. Haven't yet tackled the second Terminator squad, as I think the arm swaps are going to have to be slightly more elaborate...

I'm really impressed with pretty much all of the models in the set. Seeing the DW Sgt in the flesh, so to speak, he's actually one of my favourite models in the set. I see a lot of people don't but I really like the pose of him (apart from the shoulder not being quite right). I think he may well be swapping places with my current Belial...

The Librarian is definately the best model of the set, really like him. The Ravenwing are very nice, but too different from the existing ones for me to fit in my RW army (I'm a little OCD about things like that...).

Most disappointed with the Chaplain who really isn't that special IMO. I think he may end up on Ebay and I might finally get around to getting a new Asmodai to use instead of him.

Archived