Space Wolves Runepriest

wickedcarrot

Great job man. Since you asked to know what we think...

The bottom of the axe from the front angle doesn't look right. It looks like a wash layer peeled off from the bottom, you know what I mean? Like when you go over a glazed layer with another glazed layer, but the first isn't dry, and the bottom layer peels off. I don't know, hard to describe, but I can tell from how good this model is that you probably know what I mean.

The OSL is great, especially on the eyes and runes. I'm not normally a fan of OSL on helmeted marines because I don't see how the light from the recessed lenses can highlight things that are in front of it and above it at the same time. Light doesn't do that. But it's much more convincing on this unhelmeted guy. Anyway, these days top painters almost have to do OSL lenses just so people know they can do the technique.

The bronze on the axe also doesn't seem up to par with the rest of the model. It looks like just a basecoat, a wash, and a highlight, while everything looks much more gradual on the rest of the model. If you have an NMM technique, it can look good on those small little bits.

Anyway, sorry, all I did was criticize. But it's a great job. High 8 definitely, which rounds up to 9.

-CH

Glas my advice was helpful.

Was this a commission? I checked out your website, and if it is, the customer got a steal.

I also checked out your CMON gallery. Lots of impressive stuff there bro. Now I know you definitely have an NMM technique! Your Sanguinary guard model is great.

If you haven't checked them out, that guy Sebastian on CMON, as well as Bohun, both have incredibly helpful tutorials on TMM. I feel bad not remembering Sebastian's last name, or his CMON ID, but it's THE TMM tutorial at CMON. Bohun's Huron blackheart tutorial is great for metallics, as is his own website. He uses a variety of pigments to shade his TMM basecoats, to amazing effect. Sebastian uses some pretty insane glazing for his TMM basecoats, also ending up with mind blowing results. I prefer both of their techniques to NMM. Sebastian's is especially helpful because he talks about using TMM colors with an NMM application, i.e. using lighter metallics to highlight only where the natural and brightest reflections would fall, and then shading with regular colors accordingly. I feel like the standard line-highlighting of TMM yields a pretty weak effect, but I'm sure you wold be able to pull off either of these techniques.

Is Golem your own thing, or are there a bunch of guys painting there? Looks like a great studio either way.

Post some more of your stuff here, man. People here would love to see it.

-CH

Thanks for the feedback sir! :) I'll certainly take a look for those tutorials. This guys was somewhere between our Unique and Display standard. We are a studio of painters working to various different levels for our varied customer needs :) I will be posting more on here soon. I am working on an Imperial Fists force so keep your eyes peeled!

Archived