Gear on sergeants

Remtek

Been considering running my sergeants naked with only stormshields.

Pros:

- Soaking rocket's from longfangs, dev squads etc.

- Accepting challenges or issueing them to limit dmg to squad in general.

Cons:

Somewhat reliant on an IC attached to the squad.

The plan is to slap some more gear on my pod DC's as it's harder to snipe out valuable weapons on them.

Would be interesting to hear some opinions on this.

I think its smart to run SS on your Sgt. becasue if he is out frot I would hate to see my PW vaporized with only a 4+ to pass off the wound

I would run it, if you have a Sang. Priest with them you have the option to accept PF challenges with Sang. Priest (PS or LC) and to take power sword challenges on the SS Sgt.

Soaking up missiles isn't a great idea, as one volley will generally kill the serge. 4 missiles, 3 hits with signum, 3 wounds, 1 fail. 1 casualty (the serge) The missiles would kill 3 naked marines. Put them behind cover, the missiles kill 2 marines, or 1.5 if a ruin. The 20pts for the shield would buy that extra marine.

Attempting to tank a vindicator shell, on the other hand, would be an interesting prospect. But I would put forward that if you're letting more than three of your marines get hit by a demolisher cannon, (and you dont have cover) you have much bigger problems.

A smart opponent would simply fire a bolter squad at your asm first to kill the sergeant, then nuke the rest with the missiles/whatever.

Challenge wise, it can be a good idea to take on a major character and have your IC kill off his squad. If it's just a single character, then you may be better off not challenging/declining to let the squad have a pop at him. If you have a character retired from the fight, your opponent will likely choose an IC, then you should have a fist on the serge to pick up the slack.

TL:DR

Taking a shield sergeant can seem smart, but a smart opponent can get around it. Your sergeant should be able to do other stuff too. Shield+claw/fist may work better, or just run him naked.

Try a few options out and seewhat you like the most.

Guess it's time to magnetize sergeants, though i'm not to worried about boltgun shots, as it's alot of positionong for the enemy (he has to be facing the unit from the same direction as ML's and has to be in range) if you optimize positioning. I'm not really a big fan of running shield and a weapon, i think he gets to expensive then, theres to many things that can get him killed. Snipers, precision shots from ic's etc.

Though running naked might with a melta bomb might be the best option now, and spending the points elsewere. I'll give it a try with SS in the next game.

SS Sarge is my bodyguard for my Sanguinary Priests and/or my Librarians. Since those ICs cannot obtain Invulnerable saves, the SS Sarge hides at the back alongside of them. When entering melee, I usually issue no challenge--- but my Opponent usually does so SS Sarge goes to bat, leaving Priest and/or Librarian to swing away with their Power Axes (I always gives my weak-ICs Axes for this reason).

Attempting to tank a vindicator shell, on the other hand, would be an interesting prospect. But I would put forward that if you're letting more than three of your marines get hit by a demolisher cannon, (and you dont have cover) you have much bigger problems.

Unless it scatters a Large Blast is always hitting at least 3 guys, with it only needing to touch a base & most IG players rolling Hits (come on, you know they do!) I've been finding more like 5 dudes get hit by Large Blasts :'(

Bottom line, SS Sergeant just isn't a good use of points.

- Dallas

Unless it scatters a Large Blast is always hitting at least 3 guys, with it only needing to touch a base & most IG players rolling Hits (come on, you know they do!) I've been finding more like 5 dudes get hit by Large Blasts :'(

Bottom line, SS Sergeant just isn't a good use of points.

- Dallas

I agree with Dallas, never run a SS Sarge out in front of a squad.

I have only a single anecdote to contribute for SS against blasts though-- Marbo once tried to 'snipe' my Librarian attached to a RAS by showing up behind them. The SS Sarge was the closest model since I knew Marbo was a factor so I made sure my Librarian 'slightly buried' in the back. Marbo landed 6 hits, the Sarge LoS! only one, then saved 3 before dying to the 5th. The Librarian LoS! the 6th. So I'd say the SS was worth it, in that case. Again, I like the SS Sarge, when it comes to 'Weak-IC bodyguard' duty.

• 3 weeks later...
SS Sarge is my bodyguard for my Sanguinary Priests and/or my Librarians. Since those ICs cannot obtain Invulnerable saves, the SS Sarge hides at the back alongside of them. When entering melee, I usually issue no challenge--- but my Opponent usually does so SS Sarge goes to bat, leaving Priest and/or Librarian to swing away with their Power Axes (I always gives my weak-ICs Axes for this reason).

FYI, both of those ICs can get an Invulnerable Save. TDA for both or a Storm Shield for the Librarian. Forty-freaking-five points though.

What is TDA short for?

I'm planning on taking a SS on both my assault squad sergeants to protect their units from challenges by super-killy characters for a turn, and also, as CitadelArmyGuy has mentioned, to protect the attached Priest from said challenges so he can rip face against the unit while the Sergeant ties up the enemy IC. Yes, there's a good chance he'll die, but he also might not!

Waste of time if he isn't actually swinging anything with it. Power Fist or Lightning Claw.

In bigger games I run my Vanguard Sergeant with a Storm Shield and Glaive (Axe) in case he gets challenged by a Wolf Guard in TDA with the Long Fangs

Hum.... I know a SS is a piece of wargear and all but can you use that together with a glaive? :lol:

And where is everyone getting these glaives from?

Vanguard veteran Sgt.'s. However to my knowlage they are the only "charachters" in codex BA that can take one.

As far as combining them with SS my understanding would be that SS are not weapons in the same sense as other options. i.e. just having a SS gives you a 3++, there is no requirement to "choose" to use one thus avoiding any issue with "two handed" weapons. A SS and glaive (or relic blade) both prohibit the use of a second weapon but neither proclude the use of each other :rolleyes:.

Archived