Need advice on squad use

Cpt_Reaper

So here is the issue...I already have 6 Tactical Squads for my Battle Company and the DV Squad makes it 7. What should I do with said squad? It's a bit hard to modify the models for a Devastator Squad and they don't have the feel of Company Veterans. Any and all ideas will be taken into consideration.

I am going to have a similar problem...

Start a new Company :mellow:

You could use the plasmas/Sgt as alternate loadouts for the tactical squads you already have and then sell the remainder.

Edit: once mine arrive I will have a go at a little bit of arm/head chopping/swapping.

Green Stuff robes and spare bits to make 'em Vets.

Or, paint them in such a way that they can either be a DA successor chapter of your choice, OR a C:SM chapter that's associated closely with DA but isn't a successor per se. That way they can be C:SM Allies, but you can also field them as extra counts-as DA in 2000+ games and Apocalypse.

The easiest thing to do is paint them as 6th Company. Having some Reserve Company dudes is cool as they are normally assigned to protect the flanks of the Battle Companies.

Or as other people said, go the hard route and flex your modeling skills.

Of course, if you've been working on the same army for years and your skills have improved, you can always use these models to replace your obsolete paint jobs. I demote guys all the time and put the best models in my Battle Company Squads, and put the models I like the least in the Reserve Company by changing their knee pad.

I am planning to use them as swaps for older models and to place the extra bolter marines in Devastator units.

I'm torn between doing that or painting them up as 5th Co. in homage to what they actually are in the Dark Vengeance storyline.

I have a habit of leaving off squad markings just so I can sub in models as needed.

Paint them different? How about...a squad of Fallen for my Chaos Marines? No converting needed as they are already Dark Angels.

Go for it. Paint them black, put a red stripe down their helmet if you like, bada bing bada boom (only minor nitpick is that they probably wouldn't have newer MK of power armor - but I won't tell).

Paint them different? How about...a squad of Fallen for my Chaos Marines? No converting needed as they are already Dark Angels.

Go for it. Paint them black, put a red stripe down their helmet if you like, bada bing bada boom (only minor nitpick is that they probably wouldn't have newer MK of power armor - but I won't tell).

The Fallen didn't steal new armour. The new guys are recent "recruits". Y'know, DA marines that found out about the "secret" from our (ahem) chaplains. :)

OT, I've been considering one of the Reserve companies too. Do you think it would look out of place, or be unusual, for a number of reserve company squads to be put together as a "regular" company (6xTAC, 2xASLT, 2xDEV)?

With all the selling and trading going on with DV, I'm getting tempted to acquire a few more squads.

OT, I've been considering one of the Reserve companies too. Do you think it would look out of place, or be unusual, for a number of reserve company squads to be put together as a "regular" company (6xTAC, 2xASLT, 2xDEV)?

Not odd at all, in my opinion. There was some similar discussion about the use of reserve companies here.

Not odd at all, in my opinion. There was some similar discussion about the use of reserve companies here.

Thanks, that was very helpful.

@11th Company Dark Master: Howabout a few squads in successor colors? Like a crusading force? I was thinking on doing this with the common element being the DA shoulder badge and insignia. Sort of like a Deathwatch, but only Dark Angel successors where they wear the parent chapter's badge in place of their own. You can always put their own insignia elsewhere if you wanted.

Archived