Mark VII Helmet

Pizzasemmel

"Hello there,

i didn't see you there for a second."

And now that you are here, may i welcome you. I have been gone for quite the time, for reasons known to every engineering student in the world.

BUT here I am so lets start.

I have built several warhammer replicas/props in the past (Chainsword, bolt pistol) in the past, some that are still pending (check gallery) and one that I wanted to built forever, but never had the technology to do so. That has changed.

Building a helmet is considered the hardest part of building a costume, probably because of the darn ugly shape most of us have seated above our respective necks. Or because it's just hard. Most of the time you have a very complex shape and thin walls (so you head fits in afterwards).

The method I used is pretty reknown by now, I don't know who started it but all the early stuff i found was about building halo armour, so it probably is from the guys over at the 405th.

You start with a 3d model of the helmet, translate it into an intricate paper model (a software called pepakura) and then print it and built it. Then you do a lot of unhealthy stuff to it, most of it including resin, fibreglass, more resin and lastly resin filler (bondo). Unfortunatly i have lost the pics of the paper step but if you google for "space marine helmet" you get a good idea.

If you want more specifics about the process let me know.

Of course this will become a Black Templar helmet, although i not sure yet which details i want to use. A cross on forehead will be most likely but i'd be grateful for your input.

HOPEFULLY this will see good progress over the next few days/weeks, but as always, only time will tell.

And btw, can somebody tell me if this really is a MARK VII or if my helmet with the plated air intakes is a different modell?

First coat of primer for surface analysis

gallery_49861_4187_1213384.jpg

After a lot more bondo

gallery_49861_4187_1219707.jpg

After the first coat of filler (and sanding down afterwards)

gallery_49861_4187_740553.jpg

Enjoy the ride, i surely will

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of progress to report

I finished (or stoped...) filling tiny holes and primed it. Then a couple rounds of wet sanding and finally spray painting. Then my plexiglass arrived and i could form the lenses. The little bit of gothic architecture is a detail idea for the vox grill. I thought the black templars are prone to adorning their armour with those kind of ornaments (at least in my imagination).

gallery_49861_4187_384468.jpg

gallery_49861_4187_1200627.jpg

gallery_49861_4187_1299056.jpg

ACE! does it fit? How cool would that look whilst riding a motorbike...

Well it doens't fit me anymore, the paper version fit very tightly (the problem is getting it over the head, not the inside) and after fibreglassing it got too stiff. BUt i have an enormous head so it probably fits somebody with a bit more of a normal skull. And it would have severe safety concerns, the crash integrity is close to zero and the field of vision isn't perfect either^^

If you do casts of these - i'd definitely buy one for a display piece!

Weeeeeeeeeell...i won't do casts but this is most likely to be on sale after its finished. So if you are really interessted, PM me ;)

And theres progress

As could be seen from the last picture, the vox grill has experience a small design overload. But it looks awesome. For the best effect i decided to go PRO and print this quite important detail.

Enjoy

gallery_49861_4187_1801112.jpg

gallery_49861_4187_1358443.jpg

gallery_49861_4187_39390.jpg

Archived